My First Ag Adventure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtoro

Reaction score
My friend Marlow and I had our first crack at AG brewing today. Whilst the results are obviously still pending, the early signs are very promising, though it is probable that we may have to deal with some slight astringency issues as a result of rookie errors. Hardly surprising given that neither of us had ever actually seen AG brewing done before, and despite gleaning all sorts of useful advice from you very generous AHB members, it turned out that some mistakes we just had to go ahead and learn from by ourselves.

So let me set the scene. We'd already spent every crumb we had getting just enough equipment for a BIAB effort. Whilst I know this technique erks a lot of you, to those of us who know no better and have no other options, it certainly beats kit brewing. We did however, add our own slight variance to the more traditional BIAB methods described in other posts. Given we were sharing our brews we wanted to be able to turn out double batches, and so to handle the extra weight we decided to make 4 grain bags, each to be filled equally and emmersed simultaneously. Other equipment we had was a good looking 60L aluminium pot from underpressure.com.au (no affiliation), and a high pressure gas burner aptly named Rambo. I'd also constructed a copper immersion chiller (from copper courtesy of Jye), and i'd managed to track down a pretty standard sort of electric garden water pump that i thought might come in handy.

Clearly, having done this only once i needn't bore you all with the process we followed, save to say that it was roughly as set out by the BIAB intructions on the wiki. The recipe was for an APA using cascade and amirillo hops, but in hindsight i think that combination might have been just a touch too citrusy for the taste i had in mind. Fortunately i'm yet to find a beer style i don't like, so i'm sure it won't be a problem.

On to the important stuff. What lessons did we learn? Well, the first is that refractometers are probably the best invention ever. In what turned out to be about the most random coincidence of recent memory, the one i ordered off ebay was actually walked up my driveway by the courier not 5 mins before we were due to finish mashing. I think i might now take great delight in throwing my hydrometer off a building. It could just be the novelty value of my new toy, but i see no reason to ever use a hydrometer again.

Second lesson: if you brew in a bag, don't squeeze your grain bag too tight. In our zeal to get good efficiency, despite the fact that we weren't even measuring it, we tried to get a little too much from our spent grain bag. What i didn't know at the time is that under the right circumstances you can actually see these so called 'tannins' - yet before wringing the bag almost to dryness you could not. Trouble is these damn grain bags are much harder to un-squeeze than they are to squeeze. Makes removing tannis very difficult. So it would appear that the source for the mild astringency I noticed upon testing has been found; the lesson has been learnt; and the hope is for the mistake to not be made again, by anyone.

Lesson 3: 4kg of ice is not enough to significantly alter the temperature of 50L of freshly boiled wort. Before you ask though, no we did not add ice to our wort. Instead, i had come up with a bit of an untraditional design for my copper immersion chiller. Hopefully i'll work out how to get a photo of all this up when i finish typing, but just in case, i'll try and explain it in words. The idea was to have a small coil (from about 4m of copper) sit in a bucket of ice water and then lead straight into a big coil (from about 14m of copper) that would sit in the mash tun. I'm sure i'm not the first person to do this, but i've not seen any pics of it in the moment and a half that i took to never really look. Nontheless, i think it's a good idea because it gets the otherwise ambient tap water cold before it enters the coil in the wort, which helps to cool the wort faster. In our adventures today we did test this theory and it proved to be quite effective. The trouble however, arose from me being too ambitious in my water conservation. As you'll hopefully see from the pictures, i connected the whole thing to a pump that would recirculate the water through the coils. Clearly my intuitive sense of thermodynamics is a little misguided. I seriously thought that one bag of ice would be enough to keep the cooling bucket cold whilst not more than 15L of water circulated around the system. So so wrong. It took about 3 minutes before all the ice had been melted and every liquid in the entire system had reached equilibrium at a temperature too hot to touch. Careful analyses after this failure has led me to believe that such a system would work truly brialliantly if a big enough reservoir was available. A swimming pool for instance, would be perfect. A half full fermenter, not so perfect. In the end though, given that i don't have a pool, the only reservoir be enough that we found we could 'tap' into was the wivenhoe dam, so the recirculation idea was abandoned and all the plants ended up getting a good drink of warm water.

That's it for the lessons, but hopefully after fermenting, adding polyclar and filtering, the only evidence of our mistakes will be here in this post. Should that not be the case i'm sure Marlow and I will have no trouble drinking our brew, and swearing upon all things sacred to us that it is the best damn beer we've ever tasted.

Here are some pics
CIMG0852.JPG
Me and my new toys.

CIMG0855.JPG
Marlow and afore mentioned new toys.

CIMG0858.JPG
The 'old spade handle' method of mashing.

CIMG0862.JPG
My attempts at a recirculating immersion chiller. Note the size of the fermenter/reservoir on the left. Note also that to try this yourself you'd want something about the size of a wheelie bin.

Here ends my first post.

Well done guys :super: ...seems like a few are popping their AG cherries at the moment :icon_chickcheers:

look forward to hearing how it tastes...

Cheers Ross

Thanks for all your help Ross. I'll be sure to tell you how it turns out.

You Guys used a pump on your first AG :p
Yet another two Souls lost. :)

biggups, its all down hill from here.

Congrats guys :beer:

Tom I cant remember if I showed you but my kegerator freezer has about 20L of frozen ice I use to chill with, so youre going to need a lot more. Before you start recirculating the ice for the next brew run about 20-30L of water through the chiller, this will knock the initial temp down and the ice can finish off bring it the rest of the way down. The great thing about using a pump with chilling is you can save all the water in cubes for next time.

Dont be so quick to trash the hydro, refractometers cant measure gravity post fermentation without further calculations, so they do come in handy... plus you get a sample for quality control :D

Cheers
Jye

Haha! It's great to see brewers getting inventive. Good stuff!

I made a similar mistake with the coolant recirc - in the same noble cause of saving water - though I was only using a washing machine pump, but the lesson was pretty much the same.
Yeah, to repeat what was said - get the thing down to about 30 if you can just using regular tap water and then the few kg of ice can do it's thing getting rid of those last few degrees. The hardest part!

If I had a sweet little pump like that I'd probably use my tank water for cooling. Nice.

Congrats guys :beer:

Tom I cant remember if I showed you but my kegerator freezer has about 20L of frozen ice I use to chill with, so youre going to need a lot more. Before you start recirculating the ice for the next brew run about 20-30L of water through the chiller, this will knock the initial temp down and the ice can finish off bring it the rest of the way down. The great thing about using a pump with chilling is you can save all the water in cubes for next time.

Dont be so quick to trash the hydro, refractometers cant measure gravity post fermentation without further calculations, so they do come in handy... plus you get a sample for quality control :D

Cheers
Jye

Ta for the hints Jye. We'll use that idea next time. Rest assured though that i was only joking about trashing my hydro. I was just a bit pissed off with it for being so uncooperative in the AG brewing process.

Thanks for the pictures! Can't wait to give AG a go!

Has anyone ever used an aquarium chiller to circulate cold water through the coils?? I got one which chills 650L of water to 24C or if you have a stupid sibling below 10C.. you can pick one up 2nd hand for $200 or so..

Congrats tomtoro.......but how strong is that thin, flexible pine lattice thats held together with staples? :p
Cheers
Steve

Edit....nice shiny kettle n burner too.

Congrats tomtoro.......but how strong is that thin, flexible pine lattice thats held together with staples? :p
Cheers
Steve

Edit....nice shiny kettle n burner too.

Heheh, its a disaster waiting to happen. Fortunately the grains are actually quite bouyant so the weight on the supports is very little until you take the bags out of the water.

Thanks for the pictures! Can't wait to give AG a go!

Has anyone ever used an aquarium chiller to circulate cold water through the coils?? I got one which chills 650L of water to 24C or if you have a stupid sibling below 10C.. you can pick one up 2nd hand for $200 or so..
Tell me more... eg brands & where to find em

Top work Tom! it's all downhill from here :super:

Nice thread Toro

Thought I would add that the whole process was a bit like having sex for the first time, only it took about 7 and a half hours rather than as many seconds.

We spent a long time brainstorming the cooling system and I have no doubt the next brew will encompass the same proccess, only instead of circulating water we will simply pump from one reserve (wheely bin), through the first coils in iced water, through the wort, and into another empty reserve (another wheely bin). This way we will recycle the water from one bin to the next each brew. Make the water police here in Brisbane happier.

Just ordered fridge and line gear from Ross today. Will make for a project weekend I reckon setting it up. Can't wait to knock back the first beer.

Marlow

Ok Toro and Marlow you have now made your first all grain and congratulations. :D You now have a serious problem that needs urgent attention. :eek: Start planning for your next brew as soon as possible. You will find your first will not last long and when you run out you do not want to be waiting for you next brew to ferment and condition as this can be an agonizing wait. After going all grain other things do not quite taste as good as they used to.

:beer:
Cheers,
Ian

For the record, our brew is now in kegs and being consumed at an alarming rate. The result was fantastic. After filtering it only through a 5mic pleated cartridge we got a beer that closely resembled Cooper's Pale in appearance and taste, but with slightly more hops on the nose and in the mouth. Almost exactly what we were after. Astringency wasn't an issue in the end. Yay. Our thanks to all those who helped us out (especially Ross and Jye).

We are also proud to announce that our second brew is in the fermenter with SG dropping steadily. It's a fairly robust porter made in close accordance with the "Monster Porter" recipe by Aaron in the recipeDB.

Looks a lot like this.

CIMG0885.JPG

Latest posts

Back