My boss is a Dick!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
I just have to vent on this because this is how F#%@*d up the company is that I work for.
I got sick on Friday, looked & felt like shit but I soldiered on for the next 2hrs before knock off. It was my weekend off so I had a couple of days to get over it & get better before my usual 5am start on Monday morning. I progressively got worse on Saturday / Sunday so called the boss on Sunday afternoon & told him I won't be there on Monday morning. He said I will need a Doctor's certificate because it was the next day after my usual weekend off. I have only been working for this company for 3.5yrs ( second stint ) but have accumulated 241hrs of sick / personal leave. This gives you an indication that I am never sick. I am lucky to have 1 or 2 days off a year. I always push myself so I don't let anyone down & this is why I have all the sick pay up my sleeve. That's over 6 weeks of pay I am owed for sickness if I need to use it & they still want a certificate for 1 day off. I headed off to the Dr. this morning & guess what, she gave me Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday off inclusive & Thursday is my rostered day off anyhow. So I won't be back till Friday, ******* morons. I had planned to just have today off & push myself again & be at work tomorrow. This is how you get treated working for big companies & you are just a number. So to sum it up, I'll just kick back for the next few days & enjoy the time off & just laugh at the stupidity of the company I work for. DICKHEADS!

Check the policies at work when you get in, if it is not documented as a policy tell him to stick it up his ar_e.

Policy here at work is certificate needed of > 2 days, or, if it before/after public holiday or a personal leave booking. But, to works advantage, if I do get sick before I go on personal leave, I can convert the number of days I was sick into sick leave days!

Use your sickies Crusty, I was a company man until recently. I still work hard but the company don't give a shit, and they won't pay them out when you leave.

You sound a bit stressed to mate. Perhaps thats actually whats making you crook. I wouldn't be taking any chances personally.

That will give you time for a couple of brews Crusty.
Crank up the BM mate.

A certificate for one day is not the "norm" is it these days although I could be wrong.
He be a bit pissed of if you took the 241 hours.

I agree with Dave70, stress can cause illness so as I said above, crack some grain and get into it. :)

Sick leave/Personal Pay dosn't accrue and its certainly not owed if you don't take it, so your payslip might say 241hrs but really you dont. I have 401hrs is thats the case :kooi: . Maybe start actually using some when your sick instead of just pushing through eh? That's what its there for.

Just tell them when you get back on Friday that you would have been here Tuesday except my certificate says 3 days.
Also that you are feeling a lot better now thanks.

I am pretty stressed & have been for quite some time. I went through 8yrs of depression & off medication for about 3yrs now. Pretty good most of the time but I'm a natural worrier & still get a lot of anxiety & the odd panic attack. I feel I'm pretty much in control when they do happen & it's scary shit when you get one. I struggle to breathe which makes the situation worse but I can feel when it's going to happen which gives me a few seconds to prepare for it. Like everyone else, I have some money struggles, trying to raise 3 kids & hate my job with a passion. The job is stressful & I just don't want that shit in my life. Unfortunately though, I'm stuck at the moment. Everyone has the same daily struggles but sometimes shit gets ya down & you have a bit of a melt down. Brewing's a great release for me & I get immersed in the process & when I'm brewing away, I don't even think about much else, which at the end of the day, is good therapy. Our union agreement is 2 days off per year not consecutive & certificate thereafter. Monday & Friday is included if it's your weekend off. I can somehow time when I get sick right? I understand that some people might abuse the system but FFS, look at my absentee history & availability. I'm not available at all now off roster so they can shove that too. I'm working my roster & that's it! We're ******* robots & work like cattle dogs & get treated like shit to be honest. On a positive note, I might have some pretty big news to share shortly & I'll let you all know about it.

Fents said:
Sick leave/Personal Pay dosn't accrue and its certainly not owed if you don't take it, so your payslip might say 241hrs but really you dont. I have 401hrs is thats the case :kooi: . Maybe start actually using some when your sick instead of just pushing through eh? That's what its there for.
My sick leave does accrue, many places they do, mainly in state/local government. There is old boys here who have well over 12months in sick days, they get abused the last few years before retirement of coarse.

dicko said:
That will give you time for a couple of brews Crusty.
Crank up the BM mate.

A certificate for one day is not the "norm" is it these days although I could be wrong.
He be a bit pissed of if you took the 241 hours.

I agree with Dave70, stress can cause illness so as I said above, crack some grain and get into it. :)
Good advice right there.
Cheers dicko.

shaunous said:
I'm available if u need a brewing partner whenever Crusty.
Cheers Shaun.
As you know from comp brew day, there's quite a bit of free time when brewing on the BM so that means a bit more drinking right?

Stuff a chicken wing inside his desk chair. He'll be driving himself crazy for weeks trying to work out where the rank smell is coming from.

...Or just enjoy your time off mate :lol:

HoppinMad said:
Stuff a chicken wing inside his desk chair. He'll be driving himself crazy for weeks trying to work out where the rank smell is coming from.

...Or just enjoy your time off mate :lol:
I like it.
I'll enjoy the next few days off.

Fents said:
Sick leave/Personal Pay dosn't accI'm rue and its certainly not owed if you don't take it, so your payslip might say 241hrs but really you dont. I have 401hrs is thats the case :kooi: . Maybe start actually using some when your sick instead of just pushing through eh? That's what its there for.
It does (business size or revenue dependant ) you just don't get anything when you leave or retrenchments.

shaunous said:
I'm available if u need a brewing partner whenever Crusty.
Count me in as well.

What better way to enjoy some Doctor enforced sick leave. Barley water is good for you they say. B)

Crusty said:
Cheers Shaun.
As you know from comp brew day, there's quite a bit of free time when brewing on the BM so that means a bit more drinking right?
Yeah...They tend to take all the fun out of mashing,sparging, getting your temps right,spilling hot water everywhere, running out of gas, making a mess, washing multiple vessels,stuck sparges..etc.etc..

The idea of just sitting there getting drunk watching it do its thing is kind off appealing B)

Crusty said:
I just have to vent on this because this is how F#%@*d up the company is that I work for.
I got sick on Friday, looked & felt like shit but I soldiered on for the next 2hrs before knock off. It was my weekend off so I had a couple of days to get over it & get better before my usual 5am start on Monday morning. I progressively got worse on Saturday / Sunday so called the boss on Sunday afternoon & told him I won't be there on Monday morning. He said I will need a Doctor's certificate because it was the next day after my usual weekend off. I have only been working for this company for 3.5yrs ( second stint ) but have accumulated 241hrs of sick / personal leave. This gives you an indication that I am never sick. I am lucky to have 1 or 2 days off a year. I always push myself so I don't let anyone down & this is why I have all the sick pay up my sleeve. That's over 6 weeks of pay I am owed for sickness if I need to use it & they still want a certificate for 1 day off. I headed off to the Dr. this morning & guess what, she gave me Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday off inclusive & Thursday is my rostered day off anyhow. So I won't be back till Friday, ******* morons. I had planned to just have today off & push myself again & be at work tomorrow. This is how you get treated working for big companies & you are just a number. So to sum it up, I'll just kick back for the next few days & enjoy the time off & just laugh at the stupidity of the company I work for. DICKHEADS!
In Texas you could show up with a Doc's note and still get fired.

I hate it here sometimes.

Crusty - is it possible that others in your company abuse their sick leave entitlements and you got caught in the backlash?

I know some guys that will take a day off sick as soon as they have enough hours.

I also believe that in general, companies who make little to no fuss over taken sick days have a lower rate of sick days taken.

Enjoy your time off and get some rest too, go back to work fully refreshed and healthy :)

We have to provide a doctors cert if sick before or after a weekend. It makes sense really, because people can abuse the long weekend situation but it's also written in our contracts. If it wasn't there I'd tell them to shove it

Latest posts

Back