My Ag Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matho

The Braumiser
Reaction score
here are some pic's of my brewery
View attachment 21285
View attachment 21286
View attachment 21287

I've just finished off a dry run to check temp's and times
the hlt 'bucket of death' to 25 min to bring 16l upto 68 degree's
and then 45 min to bring 21L upto 78 degree's
the mash tun only lost 1 degree's over the hour and the kettel took 25 min to get boiling with a three ring burner and a medium presure reg set to low.
all up it cost me about $300 including my DIY mill
i was thinking of calling it THE PIST'N'BROKE brewery does anyone know if that name is free
I'm going to do my first AG in about 2 weeks after lots o partial's
that black thing under the HLT is a CF chiller it droped the temp down to 24 degree's

cheers

bloody awesome.

I look forward to when i have enough room to start traditionally AGing

Looking good Matho, but what I'd do if I were you is replace the QD on the kettle outlet with a 3/8 nipple, you can slide a racking tube right onto it and no need for hose camps. Simplicity on the cool side of the kettle is a neccessity for sanitation.
cheers

Browndog

thanks for the comments browndog, i was worried about the QD but it's all i could find at short notice. It can be completly pulled apart for cleaning, i am planning to replace all the brass with stainless one day when i get motivated to order it.
any sugestion's on how to clean the CF chiller it's made out of 12mm copper from bunnings, i've heared that the copper might have a coating on it from the manufactering. By the way it only cost me $60 to make from part's at bunnings and does a fairly good job.
cheer's

Lovely .. as a matter of interest .. how do you get the wort into you fermenter? Do you lift it up before running through the chiller?

at the moment yes i have to lift it up it wasn't to heavy with 30l in it but i am going to raise it by about 6 to 8 inches which would mean that it could drain into the fermenter an oversight on my behalf ^_^

cheers :icon_cheers:

at the moment yes i have to lift it up it wasn't to heavy with 30l in it but i am going to raise it by about 6 to 8 inches which would mean that it could drain into the fermenter an oversight on my behalf ^_^

ahhh .. ok .. I always think I'm missing something when I see these picks and it always turns out its muscle I'm missing!

:)

Aaahh, so when I redesign my system, I need four tiers?
1. HLT
2. Mash/Lauter Tun
3. Kettle
4. Fermenter

Aaahh, so when I redesign my system, I need four tiers?
1. HLT
2. Mash/Lauter Tun
3. Kettle
4. Fermenter

Well the fermenter goes on the ground right? And if you use the same vessel for HLT and kettle then its 2 tiers + the ground.

That's what I'm planning .. but it wont have any bling factor at all.

Mate that looks fekking fantastic - I've only tried AG a few times, and although successful & rewarding, as I don't have the right equipment it's been more trouble than it's worth.

You've given me the inspiration to carry on :)

Edit: I've just noticed, that although I've been a member on AHB since the middle of '06, this is my first post!

Looks good - but the braid in the mash tun - i make that a circle and use a T piece to join the circle to the tap.

Hope that makes sense - use either a SS T piece or a copper T - dont use Brass inside the mash tun.

Sorry Brau Frau, I was being somewhat facetious.
In my own set up, I only have two tiers, and any movement up or down is done by my own limited physical strength.
I have a separate HLT, but only one burner, thus all the heating/boiling is done at ground level.
Mash/sparge water is transferred in a 2 litre jug, and the wort drained into the kettle. I physically lift the kettle post boil/cooling onto the same bench I mash at, and then drain into my fermenter.
My set up is fairly limited and amateurish, and obviously not for everyone, but it works for me at present.
Hope you had, or are having, a great time in Deutschland.

yeah i am planning to replace the brass with stainless and i will be making a manifold out of copper just a matter of time.
after working on lots of old holden's back when leaded fuel was in a little bit more lead won't hurt :p

I did the same thing, lucky we had a little box tube left over at the end as I realised my mistake... :p

P2200004.jpg

I did the same thing, lucky we had a little box tube left over at the end as I realised my mistake... :p

i was thinking more along the lines of bessa bricks :lol:

i was thinking more along the lines of bessa bricks :lol:

:lol: It's good having mate that can weld and likes beer!

(Plus it was him that mucked up the measurements in the first place) :D

Back