My 2nd Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHYPSI

Reaction score
for this one i plan on using:

1 can thomas coopers sparkling ale

1.5kg light liquid malt

500g light dry malt

300g dextrose

make up to 23lt

ferment for 2 weeks @ 18-20*

is it worth going to the US-05 yeast or just use the yeast under the lid of the coopers tin?

for this one i plan on using:

1.5kg light liquid malt

500g light dry malt

300g dextrose

make up to 23lt

ferment for 2 weeks @ 18-20*

is it worth going to the US-05 yeast or just use the yeast under the lid of the coopers tin?

Definately go the US05. Are you sure you want the 500g dry malt too?
Cheers
Steve

Approximately 1054 og. It is fair whack of malt extract so the us05 would be advisable. It's a good attenuator and the 11.5g packet will be more suitable as opposed to the smaller quantity under the lid. I'm not certain but I think Coopers do a 1.5kg extra light pale liquid malt. If you haven't already purchased your ingredients this extra pale may be allow a little lower finishing gravity. Otherwise, go with the ingredients you've listed and give it plenty of fermentation time.

Don't forget to grab some hops too mate. You'll need a bit to balance out the malt.

i grabbed some pride of ringwood finishing hops. and also some crystal grain

...and what do you plan on doing with the cyrstal grain? What is it?

Edit....I mean what type of crystal did you buy?

...and what do you plan on doing with the cyrstal grain? What is it?

was told to sit it in boiling water for 20 mins, then to strain it into the fermenter

was told to sit it in boiling water for 20 mins, then to strain it into the fermenter

COOL. Make sure you steep them at the right temp. I cant say for sure but I think its around the 70 degree mark. Do a search on steeping grain.
Cheers
Steve

cool. so should i use all 180g of the crushed grain? should work out to be approx SG 1.062 and FG 1.016 so about 6.8%

Dont forget to boil it after youve steeped and before you put it into the fermenter, otherwise youll get all sorts of nasties in your brew!

Don't forget to grab some hops too mate. You'll need a bit to balance out the malt.

Won't they need to be bittering and/or flavour (which add some bitterness) hops to balance the malt sweetness? Finishing hops are pretty much all aroma.

If you do steep grain you will need to boil as suggested above so chucking some extra in for 30 mins will do the trick.

its all done

1.5kg light liquid malt

500g light dry malt

300g dextrose

100g steeped crystal grain

1 teabag of pride of ringwood added just before yeast (infusion)

10g US05 pitched around 248, temps coming down to 20

made about 24lt

OG 1.056

will leave it to ferment for 2 weeks i think

Hey WHYPSI, my third brew is the same Coopers Sparkling Ale but I didn't add in any extra hops or grains (just don't know enough yet)
it's been in the fermenter 9 days now at 19-20 started at 1050 OG. I used Safale s-04 for this one if it is a nice drop I will make it again and try the s-05.
which reminds me I should take a reading again today.

awesome flash! let me know how its tasting. it has sorta dawned on me that i have over 40lt of beer now. well when theyre both ready. awesome.

after 7 days its down to 1016 and still bubbling away :) ive got a good feeling about this one

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!! drinking one now. has been on the bottles for 2 weeks now. tasting AWESOME. but probably needs another 2 weeks rest.

Hey ya WHYPSI,

I opened a Bottle of mine also today, nearly 3 weeks in the bottle, It is tasting very nice and I will be had pressed to let it condition for much longer.
Very happy with how it turned out.

awesome! ill let mine condition a further 2 weeks. but then in 2 weeks i have anual leave from work for 2 weeks!! good timing i think! could get dangerous. 23 lt of 6.5% sparkling and nothing to do for 2 weeks......

Latest posts

Back