Murray's Brewing Co.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gough

Maintain the Rage!
Reaction score
Just a heads up fellas,

I visited a new brewery on the NSW Mid-North coast over the weekend. "The Pub With No Beer Brewery" at Taylor's Arm near Maccsville. THey brew and sell Murray's Brewing Co. beers and I thought they were outstanding. There were 4 beers available, a Belgian Wit style which had strong coriander notes, an APA style which had an assertive bitterness and strong NZ hop aroma and flavour - very good, a Porter style which was very moreish and the 'Icon' I2PA which was a fantastic brew - big nose and mouthfilling hops, assertive bitterness but enough of a malt backbone to balance. Truly an outstanding beer and a top example of a commercial brewer having a go at something interesting.

Top darts to Graeme and the crew at the Pub With no Beer - definitely worth a visit if you are up that way :beerbang:

Shawn.

Got to agree with you , the 2IPA was inspirational. I did two brews trying to emulate it.

Got to agree with you , the 2IPA was inspirational. I did two brews trying to emulate it.

When were you up there Mike? How did the brews turn out? Did you go the NZ hops, or did you use Yankee varieties? I've been planning a 'double IPA' of my own for a while, but other brews/life has always gotten in the way. After tasting the Icon over the weekend it has leaped back to the top of the priority list :)

Shawn.

Tasty brews but I was way off the mark, used a mix of NZ Cascade, amarillo pellets and US Willamette Pellets in one and a whole lot of English ones in V2.0 both at about 1.065 SG. I think darker munich malt next time should get me closer.

I was up there at Easter time, I wish it was closer to home.

Tasty brews but I was way off the mark, used a mix of NZ Cascade, amarillo pellets and US Willamette Pellets in one and a whole lot of English ones in V2.0 both at about 1.065 SG. I think darker munich malt next time should get me closer.

I was up there at Easter time, I wish it was closer to home.

Thanks mate. They do indeed sound like tasty brews.

I'm with you on wishing they were closer as well. On the upside they were saying they should be bottling in the not too distant future, so we should see their beers around the place soon with any luck :)

Shawn.

The Pub with no beer is only a few Hrs away from me, and even closer when I go to work at near there. :p

The St Arnoud Pilsner and Dark Arm Bitter are their 2 best beers.. In my book.. :chug:

And the hospitality from the locals is unbeleivable, but as I am a country boy, the hospitality is normal....Got real drunk on the verendah,the young bloke ( 8mnths) got babys sat, band was EXCELLENT, breakfast with 1000 coffe's was even better.... :party:

Bloody loverly spot if you want great and real country hospitality.... :rolleyes:

I paid a visit to Taylors Arm over the last couple of days and bloody well enjoyed myself.

Loved the environment.

Enjoyed the beers. My pick was the Elephant Head Pilsner, but each of the beers had something going for it.

Got treated very well by everyone there.

Enjoyed the beers. Loved the philospohy of the brewery, being unafraid to make beers with flavour and substance.

My visit to the Pub with No Beer lived up to their catchphrase "turn a beer into an experience."

Thanks to everyone (Shawn, Craig, Gavin, Lou, Katie, Caine, Wendy and Barry) there for their time, information and company. And thanks to my travelling companion who certainly was part of the experience, none other than this forums very own, Les the Weizguy.

I can recommend a visit to anyone who wants to soak up up a little country atmosphere and enjoy a few brewskis in very laid back surroundings.

Cheers,

Keith

Had a great couple of days with Keith and the people at Murrays/Pub with no beer. :super:

Same as Keith - my fave beer was the Elepant Head pilsner. Some very tasty beers at the pub, with no fear in putting a lot of flavour/taste into their offerings. Some of the big and beautiful offerings were the Grand Cru and the Icon 2IPA...just huge, in their own way.

Talk about your country hospitality. I felt more than welcome, I felt appreciated. :beer:

If you like a mellow Witbier, you'll want to ask for the Sunrise wheat.

Somehow, a busy Shawn managed to keep us happy and run a challenging double bottling run.

Sorry to say to Ducatiboy Stu that the St Arnou pilsner was not in peak form, but then again, it's a tap beer, not made in-house.

I'd also like to mention, on the off-chance they get to see this, the Brits in the "Wild"-wotsy Goonies van: Spencer and Phion (Welsh spelling, but may be nowhere near correct). They and "Fatty" from Stuarts Point made my evening unforgettable.

Beerz
Seth :p

I went very close to having a beer at the Pub with no beer this arvo. Having filled up with petrol at Macksville we were headed in the right direction. After about 15 minutes I was a bit tired of the wife asking "Why would you put it way out here". Great countryside, fresh air, wound down the window & continued on. Got overtaken by a ute with all the usual trimmings, including pants out the window, but hey boys will be boys. As we pulled up at the pub I noticed that our 3 yr old was already asleep, there was a bus in the carpark and a local footy team was kicking off their mad monday session. The boys that were pouring out of the ute to enjoy the celebrations were already a few beers ahead. I hope the Bowraville lads had a good day, they have always spoken well of the Saison in the past!
Maybe another time
Cheers
Gerard

Latest posts

Back