Murray's Angryman Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuffduff

Reaction score
Had this great ale recently trying to figure out whats gone into it, any ideas.
I am starting out so I just use beer kits, add hops in various times and steep some grains. Any ideas ?

Had this great ale recently trying to figure out whats gone into it, any ideas.
I am starting out so I just use beer kits, add hops in various times and steep some grains. Any ideas ?

Motueka (B Saaz) and Pacifica (Pacific Hallertau) are the hops used. I've got an AG IPA using these two in secondary right now inspired by the Angry Man. I used a close to half half mix of Maris Otter and Pale malt with a little crystal 60 and a tiny bit of black malt. and US05.

Can't really help you with extracts, but I'm sure someone will chime in!

Motueka (B Saaz) and Pacifica (Pacific Hallertau) are the hops used. I've got an AG IPA using these two in secondary right now inspired by the Angry Man. I used a close to half half mix of Maris Otter and Pale malt with a little crystal 60 and a tiny bit of black malt. and US05.

Can't really help you with extracts, but I'm sure someone will chime in!

Thanks FB, I couldn't id the hops, but can figure out an extract to add to using IPA hop schedule or even get brave use unhopped extract and smash it full of hops :) sounds like fun thanks.

Read on the Murray's site that this is a rebranded Nirvana pale ale - tastes different to me, but anyway.

Might be worth searching for some Nirvana PA recipes for guidance.

Kev

Read on the Murray's site that this is a rebranded Nirvana pale ale - tastes different to me, but anyway.

Might be worth searching for some Nirvana PA recipes for guidance.

Kev

Thanks will retry Nirvana but sure it isn't the same

Angry Man Pale is the same as Nirvana, it was rebadged a couple of months ago.

Angry Man Dark? (the original) is quite different

I was at Murrays at Manly a few months back and missed the last bottle of Angry Man Brown by minutes, so was surprised to see the pale at a local bottle shop.

Annoyed though that it's just the Nirvana repackaged. I agree it tasted different, could be that I was expecting something different as the name was new...who knows?

Thinking of changing my kids names down the track when their names either become unfashionable or they need a bit of a spruce up.

Rebranding = bullshit to me. And that I fell for it makes it worse!

Kev

I was at Murrays at Manly a few months back and missed the last bottle of Angry Man Brown by minutes, so was surprised to see the pale at a local bottle shop.

Annoyed though that it's just the Nirvana repackaged. I agree it tasted different, could be that I was expecting something different as the name was new...who knows?

Thinking of changing my kids names down the track when their names either become unfashionable or they need a bit of a spruce up.

Rebranding = bullshit to me. And that I fell for it makes it worse!

Kev

I agree don't like being tricked into something I've done before.

I have a vague recollection reading something here that they ditched the nz cascade for the b saaz, hence the name change.

I got some Angry Man Pale the other day. This is not beer, its some girly fruity alco pop, yuk. It reminds me of the crude Tooheys New striped out malt backbone with the really bad hop bittering, then someone has thrown in some fruity cordial style hop cover-up. :icon_vomit:

QldKev

I got some Angry Man Pale the other day. This is not beer, its some girly fruity alco pop, yuk. It reminds me of the crude Tooheys New striped out malt backbone with the really bad hop bittering, then someone has thrown in some fruity cordial style hop cover-up. :icon_vomit:

QldKev
I'd pretty much agree with this but I may not of been quite as harsh. :lol:

where are both of you buying from. is it dans?
have you contacted the brewer?
its one of my favourites.

I got mine from Dans (no dig at our local Dans as I've had lots of good beer from there)

edit, cause you edited and added :p

Nope have not contacted the brewer. I could not detect and infection or anything that tasted like skunking etc. To me it was just was a poorly constructed beer. Maybe this did have issues, but not having it before I don't know?

dans havent really got a good rep for looking after a beer.
id contact the brewer with the batch number and see what he says mate. be cause you described a completely different beer to what im drinking right now.

dans havent really got a good rep for looking after a beer.
id contact the brewer with the batch number and see what he says mate. be cause you described a completely different beer to what im drinking right now.

Hard call for me. Since I've never had it before, maybe it is just my interpretation of it. If I had it a few times and noticed a distinct difference, I would feel more happy to let them know.

QldKev

A customer gave me a couple, I believe they came from Dan's.
Is this beer bottle conditioned? Was quite cloudy when poured into a glass, like yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle.
I wouldn't of said it was infected or had any issues like that, just nothing like the beer described on the label.

I've had at least one that was infected, but the last ones I had (about a month ago) were definately dumbed down compared to the first time I tasted it.

Used to be a massive fan of Angry Man Pale Ale, not so much now.

I didnt mind the Nirvana Pale but definitely something changed with Angry Man,

but then again its in the same boat as a lot of Pale Ales getting around, all hops and SFA else happening.

I wish breweries would put on the label that their beers is hidden behind a wall of American 'craft beer' bullshit.

Is this meant to be nirvana? Tastes completely different to me, I wouldn't have guessed. The angry man I had on the weekend was really unbalanced.

I got one a while back and liked it, but since I bought some more and some whale ale and this is what I got from both. Contacted by email and they didn't answer.

vzhsh2.jpg

Latest posts

Back