Muntons Smugglers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbeer

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm currently on to my second batch of beer which is a Muntons Premium Gold Smugglers Ale. I was just wondering, as i've been taking my Final Gravity readings, i've noticed that big clumps of sediment or what i assume is yeast is coming out into my test tube. I'm not at all worried about it, but i was wondering if this was normal for this kind of beer and whether my assumption that it is yeast is correct.

I'm really excited about this brew, my first was a cascade pale ale that came with the brewcraft beginners kit, but i think this one should be really tasty.

Oh, and by the way, thanks for having me here, it's so useful having such a great site to read up on my new hobby and also to pass time in boring lectures and tutes.

Hey guys. I'm currently on to my second batch of beer which is a Muntons Premium Gold Smugglers Ale. I was just wondering, as i've been taking my Final Gravity readings, i've noticed that big clumps of sediment or what i assume is yeast is coming out into my test tube. I'm not at all worried about it, but i was wondering if this was normal for this kind of beer and whether my assumption that it is yeast is correct.

I'm really excited about this brew, my first was a cascade pale ale that came with the brewcraft beginners kit, but i think this one should be really tasty.

Oh, and by the way, thanks for having me here, it's so useful having such a great site to read up on my new hobby and also to pass time in boring lectures and tutes.
I have brewed two Smugglers Ales, I dont think that the clumps in your test tube are anything to do with Smugglers Ale recipe.
You have not mentioned how long your brew has been fermenting ? I found that with high Original gravity beers and one like Smugglers which I found had a high Final gravity also, that depending on temperature of fermentation I would prefer to let the brew ferment for four weeks, have no signs of fermentation via the airlock, and bottle then. My last Smugglers is now 7 months old and is a fantastic drink, very similar to Fullers ESB.
Nala

I have brewed two Smugglers Ales, I dont think that the clumps in your test tube are anything to do with Smugglers Ale recipe.
You have not mentioned how long your brew has been fermenting ? I found that with high Original gravity beers and one like Smugglers which I found had a high Final gravity also, that depending on temperature of fermentation I would prefer to let the brew ferment for four weeks, have no signs of fermentation via the airlock, and bottle then. My last Smugglers is now 7 months old and is a fantastic drink, very similar to Fullers ESB.
Nala

Ah yes, I probably should of added that kind of information in my original post. It's been sitting in my fermentor for 10 days so far at 19c. My og was 1.061 and it looks like my fg will be 1.017, which I think will be a good alcohol level (5.4% or something close).

So you'd suggest I leave it there for a while? I was going to bottle it after 2 weeks. You think that would be a bit early?

I was going to bottle it after 2 weeks. You think that would be a bit early?

Personally I'd reckon 2 weeks is enough. Then you can get onto another brew.

If it's only your second brew you'd be wise to get a stockpile growing I think.

She's not a bad drop the old smugglers. I have one about 4 months old now and I wish I hadn't gone through it so fast.

Good luck with it.

If you can crash chill it (get the temp down to 3C or so) for a few days it will help clear up and sediment nicely.

If you can crash chill it (get the temp down to 3C or so) for a few days it will help clear up and sediment nicely.

Could this be done in a home fridge or freezer? And would It have any affect on the taste?
Sorry for all the questions, but the more I ask now the better I can get at brewing, and thus the more I stop annoying all of you.

I'm really excited about this brew. The guy at my LHBS said it's an amazing drop, he's gotten me pretty excited about it to be honest, haha

Don't apologise mate - we're all here for the same thing :)

Yep, if you can get access to a fridge that will fit your fermenter it will help. Normal fridge temp should do the job for chilling (but way too cold for fermenting ales of course).

Better still, if you can get a fridge to use for the whole of fermentation, and get a tempmate to set temps you'll get even better beer.

Hey Jimbeer

For an off the shelf brew it is a great drop, Enjoy :icon_cheers:
(keep a couple of botts aside for ron, you wont regret it)

Cheers
Shonks

Latest posts

Back