Munich Oktoberfest 2006

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asher

Junctyard Brewing
Reaction score
I'm looking at popping into Munich for Oktoberfest 2006 for a couple of days this year... After a week or so in Belgium :beerbang:

What are the must see's and do's of the festival?
How should one attack it to get the most out of it?

all comments appreciated....

Cheers Asher

never been to germany but belgium is great. make sure you go to bruges, nicest place in the coutnry. there is only 1 brewery there but it doubles as a brewery museum. worth checking out. Make sure you get some westvleteren 12's while your in the country too. although they arent meant to, a couple of the good beer shops have a few sometimes (de bier Tempel) but you have a 1/365 chance of getting some from the monastary if you can even find it.

My brotgher did a nudie run through the main beer hall and said that it was a must do, might get you kicked out but a fair adrenalin rush!!!

Have fun.

Cheeers

Robbo

Asher said:
I'm looking at popping into Munich for Oktoberfest 2006 for a couple of days this year... After a week or so in Belgium :beerbang:

What are the must see's and do's of the festival?
How should one attack it to get the most out of it?

all comments appreciated....

Hi Asher,

being at the "Wiesn" (is the aerea where the Oktoberfest takes place) and drinking beer is already a fultime job.

Beside the Oktoberfest, if you have a little time between the beers, you may go to the German Museeum in Munich and the english Garden.
The German Museeum is a very huge Museeum, you may take a whole day to look around.

The english Garden is a very large green Area where many young people laying around completly naked.

Id say, youll not be bored :)

Cheers
Zwickel

btw. dont forget the Aspirin

Zwickel said:
The english Garden is a very large green Area where many young people laying around completly naked.

[post="126757"][/post]​

Look for Zwickel. He'll be the one with the shoe-camera. :lol:

Warren -

A must-stop in Munich.

I can highly recommend the Dunkel. :rolleyes:

Warren -

home.jpg

Zwickel said:
i was there for octoberfest 2004, far to cold for anyone but the weirdo's to be nude in the gardens :p

Half your luck Asher

I was there some years ago know and I had a ball at the octoberfest. :party:
You must visit the Hofbrauhaus tent full of aussies and kiwis driniking and getting into the spirit as we do. Grab a big pretzel and a few of those 1ltr steins and have a good time. They have the big bands playing the halls its a scream.
If I had the time I would be there with you. Let me know how you go

:beer:

BS

Any other tent recommendations?.... and do we need to reserve anything before we head off, or just rock up and follow your nose?

Asher for now

Asher said:
Any other tent recommendations?....

Id prefer the Schottenhammel tent, although the tents looks one as the other one, there is almost no difference, after a few beers anyway no more.

do we need to reserve anything before we head off, or just rock up and follow your nose?

Inside the tents there are boxes, all of them are booked by companies, means are reserved. Other places you may get by chance, sometimes is hard to get.

Have a nice time there :beer:

[/quote]

Hi Asher,

Id say, youll not be bored :)

Cheers
Zwickel

[post="126757"][/post]​
[/quote]

What the ....... :eek: Pumpy

robbo5253 said:
My brotgher did a nudie run through the main beer hall and said that it was a must do, might get you kicked out but a fair adrenalin rush!!!

Which is why my brother says the Oktoberfest is best avoided - full of larrikin Aussies and Kiwis..

warrenlw63 said:
A must-stop in Munich.

I can recommend their Weibier which I drank a lot of in Badgastein Austria recently (and I'm serious, it was fantastic).

beer slayer said:
You must visit the Hofbrauhaus tent full of aussies and kiwis driniking and getting into the spirit as we do.
<snip>
[post="126803"][/post]​

There are a couple of tents known for being a bit (Very) roudy, the Hofbrahaus, and i think the Hippodrom?

If you want to see drunken yobs at their worst (Wurst!? ;) ) by all means go to them. (They're also the only tents you don't have to be seated at to get a drink)

Hang about in just about any of the other 'tents' long enough, and you're bound to come across a spare seat or two at a table with some locals. Far more civilised. - and they're a freindly lot those Germans...

:beer:

It will be a memorable trip Asher.
The one thing you do need to book (and early) is accomodation, otherwise you'll end up at the camping ground with all the other Aussies and Kiwis.
Obviously do the rollercoasters before drinking too much too :p
Hofbrauhause (tent at the festival, and the original biergarten) of course.
Are you looking to get a little bit out of the city and get to Weinhestephan ?

Doc
Doc

Go to wherever there are NO aussies and kiwis to have a great time try to go where locals

AW :D

arsenewenger said:
Go to wherever there are NO aussies and kiwis to have a great time try to go where locals

My point exactly - my brother lives in Austria and when I suggested an Okoberfest trip, he told me there was no way in hell he'd go back after previous experiences with Aussies over there. Man we can be a bad bunch overseas...

Asher,

there is another reason to go to the English Garden: Inside the garden there is a Chinese Tower and close to that tower is the biggest traditional Biergarten of the world, the Hirschgarten (Deergarden in english).

Its beautiful there, have a look: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Englischer_garten_fg02.jpg

and when you are there, you have to eat a "Schweinshaxn" with Sauerkraut.

Its so beautiful when you have eaten Sauerkraut and you are fully drunk. Eating Sauerkraut backwards (to vomit) makes a lot of fun.
lachen.gif

NRB said:
warrenlw63 said:
A must-stop in Munich.

I can recommend their Weibier which I drank a lot of in Badgastein Austria recently (and I'm serious, it was fantastic).
[post="126842"][/post]​

NRB

Their Weibier with Weiwurst and mustard goes down a treat. :)

Even more amusing is watching some of the barmen pouring the Wei straight down the glass with one swift movement and one hand for that matter. True maestros.

I'm not a huge Wei fan OTOH found Augistiner's Wiebier to be one of the more robust, fuller-flavoured versions. Truly food-friendly. :beerbang:

Warren -

Yeah, I never really got the idea of going to the Oktoberfest. Munich still has the beer and the beer halls for the rest of the year and it's not full of yobs. I had a great time in Munich during the summer when the 'fest wasn't on.
Though he's right about the English Garden, full of beer gardens and sun loving people! I body surfed down the Isar through the English Garden with a bunch of barely clad young women and men one afternoon.
Fantastic and something you wouldn't get away with during Oktoberfest.

Do get up to Kloster Andechs for some of the finest beer you will ever drink.

Latest posts

Back