Munich 2 (dark munich) pale ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osangar

Reaction score
hello brewers, I have a question on Munich 2 malt.

I have a lot of cascade hops, so was going to make a pale ale - but then I also have a lot of M2 malts, so was thinking of doing a 50/50 pilsner/M2 and using a the cascade for bittering/aroma/dry hop schedule.

did anyone make a pale ale with M2 malt ? if so, how was it ?

I think it's great. I've never used it in that high of a proportion, but you can use it as up to 100% of the grist.

Your malt bill is very safe. You'll end up with something similar to SNPA with the use of Cascade.

as an update - it turned out terrific at first, then bad ats it aged. I thin I encountered hop burn or something as the older it was, the more it tasted a bit harsh. I don't think it was oxidised. I used 50g cascade dry hop.

if I can replicate the first few bottles, it would be one to try again. in other beers, I've used significant amounts of M2 and they did turn out good. it's a surprisingly good base malt to have. (if in weyermann form, I see their version has a lot less colour than other versions of the malt available)

Done it many tines, up to 30% of grist along with base malt, usually GP,. Works well. I suspect you could go higher. Weyermann's claim that you can use it at 100% applies to M1. It's not clear it also applies to M2, and some discussion on other boards suggests it doesn't. I don't recall seeing any measure of its diastatic power. Has anyone?

I’ve done a couple of 99% Munich 2 dunkels (1% Carafa 3).
Comes out beautifully, but you could not call a beer with anywhere near that much Munich a pale ale!!!

had a few seriously bad Kolsch beers, could never work out why they turned out tasting like sour fruit. then after talking to a mate who had a similar experience, I placed the blame on the k97 dry yeast. I had tried 18c, 20c, but both were awful.

I then switched to the wlp029 and bingo, same recipe, 18c fermentation and the beer was terrific. I then used that yeast slurry to make an alt beer that turned out terrific. the wlp029 is a fav of mine now. used it in a few different beers and it always is a reliable workhorse.

you inspire me; ill go back and do a M2 majority, wlp029 altbier next (after my beloved weizen)

Latest posts

Back