Multiple kegs & aging/storing.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben-burd

Reaction score
I currently only have 2 kegs and find that my beer taste best when there is bugger all left in the keg. This being because it has aged about 1 month.

People that have multiple kegs once transfered do you carb straight away and leave connected to the gas & chilled? Do you carb then take of the gas and store in a cool place until your ready. Is keg aging as important as bottle aging.

Im only doing basic k&k brews but enjoy darks and stouts which bottle aging makes a hug difference.

Cheers!!

The trick is to keg and then set to pouring pressure.
Leave for a month without touching (yeah I know, as if)
then drink.

I prefer the other method though.

buy a few more kegs, go on a brew frenzy and fill them all, then the last keg has normally aged enough to be awesome, the other three are consumed at varied stages of good to great.

Brew bigger batches, bottle the excess, try and stick to the bottles until the kegs have conditioned a bit. You would have to have completed a couple runs to have this work.

Brew beers that are best consumed fresh (wheats, IPA, APA).

I have often wondered if there is a way to speed up the conditioning process myself.

Filtering your beer will speed up the 'aging' process. PITA though

If 'conditioning' a keg at ambient temp, presumably after carbonation as per OP, wouldn't then disturbing it and moving it into your keezer or fridge disturb the settling time the keg has had?

I'm at the point where I'll be kegging some darker beers, carbonating in my chest freezer which is separate to my kegerator and leaving until a keg in the kegerator blows and needs replacing. But I like fermenting in said chest freezer, so if I can get a similar effect by aging those kegs at ambient that will free up more fermentation space. So keen to hear others thoughts!

I do suppose the common tout around here is that a keg is a large bottle and bottles age at room temp just fine, sure a couple weeks in the fridge before consuming also helps with clarity, but flavours still benefit if you don't wait. Guess that applies to the kegs then?

I let a keg settle the other week and then transferred it into a fresh keg (sitting on my scales and purged with some c02) until I got 18lt into the fresh one, this ensured all sediment was left in the first keg(which i let settle again and drank the last couple of beers left in it before it blew.) I had gelatined this keg btw

the second keg was then able to be transported 200km away and clear beer was served.

Assuming your sanitization is up to scratch, I can see no reason why this wouldn't work for kegs at room temp also, however you might want to keep them elevated compared to the destination keg to make transfer easier and ensure you don't disturb the sediment prior to the transfer.

Back