Msb 11.5l Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prawned

Reaction score
Well i put on an all malt brew on monday.. no airlock action or anything.. till tonight when i opened up the lid and had a look too see if there was anything happening (hoping it was air leak) but nope, nothing at all was happening in there, just a dark looking liquid, and the SG was still sitting on 1054 as it was on monday.. but then when i put the lid back on and screwed it down really tight it started bubbling like crazy! 3 or 4 blubs per second.. do you guys think the oxygen going in might of just let wild yeast in there to start it up? kinda still taste like the wort did :) so im hoping all is not lost yet for this brew

You may not have aerated the wort enough before sealing the fermenter.

Thats just a wild guess... Seems much more likely than wild yeast.

What kind of yeast were you using ? What sort of temperature has it been sitting at ?

I doubt wild yeast would instantly kick off fermentation like that. Sounds more like it wasn't sealed properly.

Interesting that there is no krausen tho, unless the yeast has been having a hard time of it.

What kind of yeast were you using ? What sort of temperature has it been sitting at ?

I doubt wild yeast would instantly kick off fermentation like that. Sounds more like it wasn't sealed properly.

Interesting that there is no krausen tho, unless the yeast has been having a hard time of it.

It was just the kit yeast from a MS pale ale kit, its been sitting around 19 - 20c. It almost looked like there was krausen forming when i looked in the lit.. was crazy!

I've had this happen to me before when I've not sealed the lid properly ... the wort is actually fermenting but because the lid isn't on properly it doesn't look like anything is happening. The beer should be fine as CO2 is still being produced and because its heavier than air, will have pushed any air out ...

Soz, 2c here. Gladwrap!!! It works a treat, don't worry bout seals and you can see what is going on.
It works for me. B)

You don't need an airlock with gladwrap. The CO2 will leak out from the sides.

I can't help you on this one as I've never done it.

I suppose an advantage would be that you can look into the brew and see what's happening (dependent on condensation levels).

Yeah i am using glad wrap on this fermenter :) Just take the O ring out and use it as a rubber band to seal it up nice and tight, then all you do is put a pin hole in it to release gas. The brew is fermenting now i think, but there is no krausen on the top? i will take a test tube reading in a few days when the bubble in the glad wrap goes down and see what it taste like i think

Back