Mount Tamborine Breweries

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went there a month or two ago.

Their Dubbel was tasty. Kolsch was average - almost twangy. Belgian PA good. Pils great. Another lager was supurb, can't remember what it was exactly.

I got a burger - was there for lunch. Great food. Too big would be my only gripe.

Was at MT brewery on Saturday, got myself a $10 taster tray of Belgian Dubbel, Belgian Blonde, Lager, and Pale Ale.
Curvee Blonde (Belgian Blonde) was my favourite. I'm not a fan of lagers but I quite enjoyed the Rainforest lager. The Moderation Pale Ale was a bit on the less hops, more malty side for my tastes. and the Dubbel had alot of roasty flavours.

Overall I thought is was pretty decent place, got plans to take a few mates up there and have a lunch and sample more of the beers.

I didn't see the Yippy IPA on the board and a few of the beers listed online I didn't see either Major of Mildura.

Been to this place four times now, and have been disappointed each time. In fact, I won't ever go back.

Had the rainforest lager last weekend. It was very cloudy! I asked the guy who served it what the story was, and he said it was a fresh batch just recently filtered and kegged. It seemed as though there was no lagering process, nor filtering. Perhaps it would be an ok beer in another month or so, but certainly not nice as served to us that day.

Been to this place four times now, and have been disappointed each time. In fact, I won't ever go back.

Had the rainforest lager last weekend. It was very cloudy! I asked the guy who served it what the story was, and he said it was a fresh batch just recently filtered and kegged. It seemed as though there was no lagering process, nor filtering. Perhaps it would be an ok beer in another month or so, but certainly not nice as served to us that day.

I going up this way after the little snot noses are back at school, I'll give them all a look.

I going up this way after the little snot noses are back at school, I'll give them all a look.

The distillery up there is quite good too....anything but cheap though!

Haven't been there in a long time. It seemed their beers started to go toward the less bold, more tame direction, with the Yippy IPA not even close to being as hoppy as their old Mountain Bitter. It was still good though, and was about the same when I had it at Bitter Suite late last year. Their St Bridgett & La Brunette was the best at that time. Wondering if it's worth the drive up there when so many good beer bars are now in Brizzy...

I had to drop off gear around the corner from there yesterday, thought that I'd pop my cherry.
What rubbish. Their APA taste like my dad's K&K, put me off trying any others. If this is the place that I'm thinking of where they got rid of the Head Brewer and the owner took over the brewing duties..... :blink:
Makes me joyous that I can knock out better sips at home, even with my limited skills.

Raising a glass to Johann!! Making some great great beers and pushing the envelope at the Brisbane Brewhouse. :beer:

Yep, they had an MT beer (can't remember which one) at the Homebrew Conference in Brisbane last year, it was the last beer to be sampled and tasted like dish water. I am the last to tip out a beer and will never knock back a freebie, I put the glass down half full and didn't pick it up again.

I didn't overly enjoy the beers i had there but a couple of mates haven't been and we saw coupon on one of the various coupon sites (e.g. scoopon, groupon etc) and it was $25 for a taster, 2 beers and cheese from next door so we went for that. My advise is drive there sober (as opposed to letting SWMBO drive after a warmup session somewhere) and enjoy the windy roads, pig out on cheese and just be glad it's not XXXX.

Really if you want to drive (get driven) somewhere to have some nice beers on tap head to craft brewer. If you want to have lunch or afternoon tea in a nice location then you could do worse than MT. I just remind myself that a year ago I would've thought it was awesome beer, damn this beer enlightenment.

Good point. If you happen to own a pile of shiny stuff, and decide that this is easy, I'll save money and do it meself - it don't really work like that (specially when you decide that 'ookmon, too many hops and too many expensive grains are involved and we'll not be needin' non of that there fresh yeasties')

Well... that kinda answers my curiosity, & verifies my perception of their beer trend. I'm not missing much then.

Have to say Brisbane Brewing's BPA is tasting more like the old MT Mountain Bitter.

G'day Qld's,

Just saw online that South Australian microbrewery Beard and Brau will be setting up shop in Mt Tamborine.

Quotes from Twitter

"So what's the news? Beard and Brau is expanding and will no longer just be an #Adelaide brewery!... It's thanks to all your support that we've out grown our Para Hills brewery, and we are now on the move to Queensland!.....While at our new residence and brewery at Tambourine in Queensland, we will be working hard on seasonal and specialty brews."

Not sure yet on whether they'll be having a bar there or not. I think some more announcements will come during the week. I'll post back when I see it.

Dave

I live up on the mountain, few empty places have made me think...that would be a ggod spot to start a brewery. Pretty well tourist dependent, busy on the weekends, weekdays soso. Havent been to the mt brewery for a while, believe the owners got pretty deep pockets, probably needs them as looks pretty quiet during the week.
Never heard of beard and brau, will check them out if they head up this way.

Last visited 2 years ago when Ian Watson was helping out and the beers where quite good (although at the time Ian wasn't totally satisfied and looking at making further improvement).

Sitting there now having just finished a sampler tray, and sadly it looks like the beers have gone downhill. On the positive side, the Hefeweizen was quite good although a little yeasty as it looks like it was very fresh. The Swartzbeir wasn't bad, however thought that I was picking up diacetyl. The low alcohol Pale Ale was OK, but not particularly interesting (suspect it had been around for a while and had lost hop aroma). Unfortunately the Belgian Blond was badly infected (smelt like sewer drain) and should not have been on tap.

I then went for a glass of the Rainforest lager (Munich Helles?), which turned out to have noticable and almost overpowering levels of diacetyl, confirming my earlier suspicions with the Swartz.

Pity...the place had so much potential.

Been there twice and disappointed both times. Maybe a bit of competition will help them lift their game.

Last visited 2 years ago when Ian Watson was helping out and the beers where quite good (although at the time Ian wasn't totally satisfied and looking at making further improvement).

Sitting there now having just finished a sampler tray, and sadly it looks like the beers have gone downhill. On the positive side, the Hefeweizen was quite good although a little yeasty as it looks like it was very fresh. The Swartzbeir wasn't bad, however thought that I was picking up diacetyl. The low alcohol Pale Ale was OK, but not particularly interesting (suspect it had been around for a while and had lost hop aroma). Unfortunately the Belgian Blond was badly infected (smelt like sewer drain) and should not have been on tap.

I then went for a glass of the Rainforest lager (Munich Helles?), which turned out to have noticable and almost overpowering levels of diacetyl, confirming my earlier suspicions with the Swartz.

Pity...the place had so much potential.

Did you complain about the Belgian Blond? Similar thing happened to me 6 months ago. I had one of the Belgium ales, could have been the blond - can't remember, and it was infected and undrinkable. I thought about complaining, but it was only a tasting glass and the bar staff were all kids so didn;t see the point. After I got home I sent an email to tell them that they shouldn't be serving that beer. Their response was, it's supposed to taste that way! haven't been back since.

Two visits in the last 12 months and disappointment both times. We won't be rushing back.
Certainly not as good as we remember MTs earlier days of operation.

Mark

Latest posts

Back