Mount Tamborine Breweries

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
I have not visited the breweries at Mt. Tamborine as yet so I suppose it about time I did.
So there is the 'Mt Tamborine brewery' and 'Eagle Heights Brewery' are these two close to each other? and what about accommodation close to one or both of the breweries? Might as well make a night of it :beer:

Cheers
Batz

I have not visited the breweries at Mt. Tamborine as yet so I suppose it about time I did.
So there is the 'Mt Tamborine brewery' and 'Eagle Heights Brewery' are these two close to each other? and what about accommodation close to one or both of the breweries? Might as well make a night of it :beer:

Cheers
Batz

Yep, you got the names correct. But has Eagle Heights Brewery opened it's doors again? They are walking/stagering distance of each other, and definitely book somewhere for the night. Not sure of accommodation thou; there is heaps up there.

QldKev

I think there's a little B+B thing right across the road from MT. A local (or someone who works there.......) might be able to give you the name.

Google maps is your friend....

Linkage

Although it is a touch outdated, doesn't even have Mt Tamborine brewery on it, although it shows that the B+B is called Amore.....

EDIT: While I was at Google maps I found this road again, awesome drive, virtually a one lane tarred goat track with the occasional spot for you to pass vehicles going the other way. I did it last August in a rental Camry, took 90mins to get up it, 35 to come back down, and a view to boot at the top....

Cheers
Batz

2 things Batz...

1. Contact Beersom via PM he will look after you I am sure
  2. Contact Chappo via PM he wouldn't mind having a beer with ya mate :icon_cheers:
Chap Chap

2 things Batz...

2. Contact Chappo via PM he wouldn't mind having a beer with ya mate :icon_cheers:
Chap Chap

3. Look at :icon_chickcheers: when at Mt Tamborine

QldKev

2 things Batz...

Chap Chap

It'll be great to catch up for an ale or two Chappo, I'll let you know when we be there.

Batz

Was at Mt Tamborine yesterday and tried the tasting trays from both breweries. Mt Tamborine Brewery is much bigger than Eagle Heights and their beers seem to be aimed at those of us who like 'big' flavours. Fine for me, but the wife wanted something a little more 'simple'.

Eagle Heights had four beers to choose from. A mid-strength lager, a Pilsner, an IPA and a 'seasonal'. I was driving so didn't have more than a small sample.

Looking forward to spending a weekend there to sample more beer and the surroundings. Great roads in and out. Spectacular scenery.

Anyway ... the Eagle Heights Brewery is for sale. Here's a link to anyone interested:

Eagle Heights Brewery

... No affiliation ...

All due respect to the Mt Tamborine brewery; but yesterday I went there for my second visit.

Last visit I raved on about the beers and food. I purchased extra beers to bring home and test with the local brewers; also asking questions online about recipes.

I understand this was along weekend; and I'm not sure if you have changed chiefs but...
We ordered 3 x rump steaks 'medium rare' + another feed. What we received was more like well done steaks. Burnt on the outside and dried out on the inside, and chips coated with way too much salt (and I love my salt). Maybe it was from the food; but I didn't find the need to buy the beers to take home.

Please; we don't have many Qld breweries that are truly memorable. I would hate to lose one.

QldKev

All due respect to the Mt Tamborine brewery; but yesterday I went there for my second visit.

Last visit I raved on about the beers and food. I purchased extra beers to bring home and test with the local brewers; also asking questions online about recipes.

I understand this was along weekend; and I'm not sure if you have changed chiefs but...
We ordered 3 x rump steaks 'medium rare' + another feed. What we received was more like well done steaks. Burnt on the outside and dried out on the inside, and chips coated with way too much salt (and I love my salt). Maybe it was from the food; but I didn't find the need to buy the beers to take home.

Please; we don't have many Qld breweries that are truly memorable. I would hate to lose one.

QldKev
Thats a shame.... I hope that apart from letting this board know your thoughts that you let someone from the brewery know of your dissapointment so that the issue may be addressed. On big days like this the best peson to let know of this would be Callum (young guy managing behind the bar).
I am no longer with MTB (gone for good this time) and wish them all the best as it is most certainly one of the best laid out destination breweries in the country and I was proud of some of the stuff that we did there but incidents like this (unrelated to beer) can easily destroy the experience / perception of the beer and as I said earlier this is something that should be relayed to the staff.
THe venue has gone through some big staff changes recently in the brewery and restaurant so give them a bit of time to re-adjust..... and my personal opinion is - avoid the place on big weekends or most sundays (which can be huge and frustrating for the public) and visit during the week or on Saturdays/
cheers

Coming from a hospitality background (6+ years as a chef, another 6 as a dishpig and a couple of years as a waiter) I know how difficult it can be to maintain consistency when you get pumped. Having said that, I know how important consistency is. All I can suggest is making sure you let them know, politely and constructively, your experience. It's very important they know when customers are unhappy as their response (or lack thereof) can fix problems for the future.

Go in again on a quieter night/day and see if it was a one off. Hopefully next time reflects your first experience, rather than the second.

Thats a shame.... I hope that apart from letting this board know your thoughts that you let someone from the brewery know of your dissapointment so that the issue may be addressed. On big days like this the best peson to let know of this would be Callum (young guy managing behind the bar).
I am no longer with MTB (gone for good this time) and wish them all the best as it is most certainly one of the best laid out destination breweries in the country and I was proud of some of the stuff that we did there but incidents like this (unrelated to beer) can easily destroy the experience / perception of the beer and as I said earlier this is something that should be relayed to the staff.
THe venue has gone through some big staff changes recently in the brewery and restaurant so give them a bit of time to re-adjust..... and my personal opinion is - avoid the place on big weekends or most sundays (which can be huge and frustrating for the public) and visit during the week or on Saturdays/
cheers

Coming from a hospitality background (6+ years as a chef, another 6 as a dishpig and a couple of years as a waiter) I know how difficult it can be to maintain consistency when you get pumped. Having said that, I know how important consistency is. All I can suggest is making sure you let them know, politely and constructively, your experience. It's very important they know when customers are unhappy as their response (or lack thereof) can fix problems for the future.

Go in again on a quieter night/day and see if it was a one off. Hopefully next time reflects your first experience, rather than the second.

Fist let me say, anyone who knows me is diplomacy is not my forte; If I see a spanner, I call it a spanner; direct honesty is what I understand.

I let the young person who was picking up my taster tray + glass know of my concern; I don't want to name / detail this person; but they politely shrugged me off as they were too busy. I had to cut the outside of my steak off prior to eating it; and pass the only steak knife available to my son to do the same. I doubt my comments of feedback ended up back in the kitchen, and I don't believe I was rude.

I did however pay virtually $150 for 4 meals, and the first round of drinks (plus 1 tester tray). I don't think it should be my problem if it is a Sunday/Public Holiday or not, it should be up to the place catering to be correctly setup for the situation.

QldKev

Fist let me say, anyone who knows me is diplomacy is not my forte; If I see a spanner, I call it a spanner; direct honesty is what I understand.

I let the young person who was picking up my taster tray + glass know of my concern; I don't want to name / detail this person; but they politely shrugged me off as they were too busy. I had to cut the outside of my steak off prior to eating it; and pass the only steak knife available to my son to do the same. I doubt my comments of feedback ended up back in the kitchen, and I don't believe I was rude.

I did however pay virtually $150 for 4 meals, and the first round of drinks (plus 1 tester tray). I don't think it should be my problem if it is a Sunday/Public Holiday or not, it should be up to the place catering to be correctly setup for the situation.

QldKev

Not having a go mate, just stating a few things I know from the inside.
I agree that it sucks when you pay for a decent meal and it doesn't meet expectations and there is no excuse.
That staff member should have passed on your concerns and management should have done something about it...... whether they did is another matter and I personally was very unhappy with some of the staff that were working there. It is hard to get good service staff in many places and even harder in small towns, not making excuses just stating the situation.
When I was there as a full time employee any complaint of that nature would have been swiftly dealt with and compensated for.
No its most certainly not your problem if a place is having a busy day but thats why I suggest avoiding MTB on big days if you want to really experience the place (once again inside knowledge).... and why I avoid most places on big week-ends (but maybe thats just me)
Once again I am not having a go, and I am certainly NOT making excuses (why should I care about a former workplace). I do think it is a shame though that such a great concept venue left you with that experience.
cheers

EDIT: While I was at Google maps I found this road again, awesome drive, virtually a one lane tarred goat track with the occasional spot for you to pass vehicles going the other way. I did it last August in a rental Camry, took 90mins to get up it, 35 to come back down, and a view to boot at the top....

:icon_offtopic: OOO 90 up, 35 back down, picknik at the top B) nice afternoon out ... wont be renting a Camry :excl: though

LOL, it was our rental car for while we were up there on a holiday. Unfortunately we didn't start the climb until late in the arvo which meant we had all the tour buses coming at us on their way back down. Don't recall meeting a single car on the way down though.

It'll be great to catch up for an ale or two Chappo, I'll let you know when we be there.

Batz

Try and go during the week Batz, it's a much better experience and the Bed & Breakfast joints are affordable then.

LOL, it was our rental car for while we were up there on a holiday. Unfortunately we didn't start the climb until late in the arvo which meant we had all the tour buses coming at us on their way back down. Don't recall meeting a single car on the way down though.

Just been up there today, had a similar problem with busses, good afternoon out though. bookmarked it in the tomtom for next time the mother in law is here. those drop offs should keep here quiet for a few days. :eek: :eek:

Are these breweries still a going concern?

Will be on the Gold Coast for a week in November with the family and thought I might check them both out.

C&B
TDA

MT is still there. Eagle Heights is no longer, or at least wasn't open for visiting last i was there about a month ago

edit: In regards to MT, as for the quality of food and beer. can't remember the food, dunno if that is good or bad. Beligan Pale was very good, Pilsner was forgettable and their mid-strength was a bit watery and ordinary.

Great place for the family though, comfortable outdoor area for eating and drinking. Little kids can go for a run around on the lawn out the front. I make it a regular stop any time i'm up there.

Latest posts

Back