Motorising A Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignath

"Grains don't grow up to be chips, son"
Reaction score
Hi all,

have a mill on the way, and was wondering:

those who have one motorised, how much power is good, and what size pulleys do you use to effectively gear it down?

From what i can tell, most people who have a motorised one, seem to prefer a slow crush is this correct?

the mill that i've bought is a crankandstein 2s model. I will have the handcrank for it too, just thought it might be nice to fill hopper full of grain and come back in a few minutes to a nice bucket of cracked goodness ready to go...

cheers,

Nath

I am awaiting the arrival of a $76 Crankandstein mill myself.

I am also awaiting the arrival of a couple of sprockets and some chain from oatleyelectronics to give me an approximate 8x reduction. I will be using a standard 240V 700watt Ozito drill which *very nearly* gets the job done by itself. I do intend documenting what I do for others as I think the chain/sprocket route might be of interest to others who want a cheap and easy technique.

Am currently in the process of motorising my MM2, using a $15 wiper motor from a wreckers yard and a cast-off 400W power supply from an old PC.

Due to limited spare time, compounded by inherent laziness, it has taken me more than a couple of weeks, but in the meantime I can still crush using my trusty Ryobi cordless.

Biggest issue at the moment is ensuring the drive shaft of the MM2 lines up nicely with the shaft of the motor. Using a spider coupling helps.

Will post pics when finished, aforementioned laziness not withstanding.

personally id avoid the chain as you want it to slip if it jams so not to damage the mill too much and also as a safety item.
im in the process of motorising my millmaster. so far ive got a motor and the pulleys but its not wired up. ill get around to it eventually

Ultimately, I intend to pedal-power my mill. I have a couple of bike frames that just need to be glued together so that I can sit down and pedal my mill or an apple scratter, or woteva. Unfortunately, the rear cluster of one is a bit borked, so my reduction drive design needs parts or revision...

I found the following, which is good for a giggle. Click me...

I've got a mashmaster mill and run it with a GMC drill. Works ok as long as you dont load it up too much, then you just get smoke and a buzzing noise. Its a hell of a lot better than using the hand crank. That is for suckers.

I have considered doing the whole motor and gearing setup but for quick and easy go for a cheap plug into the wall drill

I currently have a crank that consists of a pair of vice-grips. Takes 20mins.

I found the drill I have ($80 600W Makita from Bunnings) doesn't have the torque to go slow enough to turn the mill slow enough from ripping the husks.

My plan is the 12 inch / 2 inch pully setup on a 920rpm 240v motor. But thats ages away at the moment....

An old drill out of the garage has worked great for my mill.
Not sure what the ideal milling speed is but this works well.
Does my 6kg hopper in a few mins no worries.
Cheers.

IMG01620_20101204_1515.jpg

You can buy pretty cheap SDS drills from bunnings or wherever for $60 or so these days. These have a load more torque at lower revs than normal hammer drills. If one of these won't turn the mill nothing will. They are also very useful when you need to drill thick treated pine sleepers etc with an auger, smashing bits of rock and masonary drilling

You can buy pretty cheap SDS drills from bunnings or wherever for $60 or so these days. These have a load more torque at lower revs than normal hammer drills. If one of these won't turn the mill nothing will. They are also very useful when you need to drill thick treated pine sleepers etc with an auger, smashing bits of rock and masonary drilling

If you look at something like:

http://www.bosch-pt.com.au/papocs-au/Trade...11623/index.htm

and see that it generates 20Nm torque and there's probably lots more cheap ones around...

If I didn't already have a drill which I bought for the purpose, this would be a good way to go, I think. I'm hoping to have my mill motorised for less than $30 plus what I already own.

Edit: and here's one that claims 120Nm: http://www.makita.com.au/products/power-to...iver?Prodid=143

Hi all,

have a mill on the way, and was wondering:

those who have one motorised, how much power is good, and what size pulleys do you use to effectively gear it down?

From what i can tell, most people who have a motorised one, seem to prefer a slow crush is this correct?

the mill that i've bought is a crankandstein 2s model. I will have the handcrank for it too, just thought it might be nice to fill hopper full of grain and come back in a few minutes to a nice bucket of cracked goodness ready to go...

cheers,

Nath

3/4 hp, 1475 rpm motor similar to this will provide enough grunt to do the job;

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/3-4HP-55kW-1425rpm-...=item255c88520c

with a 12' A pulley on the key of the MILL!!!!, connected via a 'V' rubber belt to 2' A pulley on the key of the MOTOR!!!!!!! should give you 1:6 gear ratio giving approximately 245 rpm at mill rollers - which is a good speed for grain milling

edit small pulley on MOTOR!!!!!!!!

3/4 hp, 1475 rpm motor similar to this will provide enough grunt to do the job;

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/3-4HP-55kW-1425rpm-...=item255c88520c

with a 12' A pulley on the key of the motor, connected via a 'V' rubber belt to 2' A pulley on the key of the mill should give you 1:6 gear ratio giving approximately 245 rpm at mill rollers - which is a good speed for grain milling
Large pulley on mill, small on motor.
Your way you could put a prop on the mill and fly it around. :D

Nige

Large pulley on mill, small on motor.
Your way you could put a prop on the mill and fly it around. :D

Nige

sorry about that - my bad!!!!!

other way around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

Does anyone know a good place to source this type of pulleys?

you need to make sure that the centre of the pulley is an exact fit to the keys on motor and mill - with the keysteel locking wheels onto their respective keys or the process is a waste of time.

Any place that sells electric AC motors should be able to put you onto a pulley place if they dont stock them - google search should do the job. Just remember, if the centre fof the pulley is to small to fit the key dont use an electric drill to make centre larger - you wont get a good fit. You will need to take the pulley to a machinest (mine cost $40) and get it proffesionally reemed!

and get it proffesionally reemed!

My missus could step in here....

Thanks for that, I'm just looking into it at the moment - need a new mill before I get too excited! Still working my poor little Marga at the moment! Just looking to get accurate pricing before I start getting running into nasty shocks...

My missus could step in here....

Thanks for that, I'm just looking into it at the moment - need a new mill before I get too excited! Still working my poor little Marga at the moment! Just looking to get accurate pricing before I start getting running into nasty shocks...

12' and 2' pulley wheel should cost about $ 60, 'V' belt about $5.

Ok, thats a little less than I'd anticipated.

Thanks Skippy!

but, once you add up the cost of the mill $$$, motor $$$ and someone to weld stand with hopper including materials (i cant weld), it adds up, but you have a bit 'o' bling!

this should get your creative juices flowing;

Last edited by a moderator:
Back