Mornington IPA clone - OG 1.074 & WP001 - ? sufficient yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers all, brew is going like a steam train and has dropped 26 points in a day and a half!

I'm guessing you know that 'coz you've taken a sample for your hydrometer test...how's the sample tasting?

carniebrew said:
I'm guessing you know that 'coz you've taken a sample for your hydrometer test...how's the sample tasting?
Correct :)
Tasting pretty good - malt profile coming through nicely with crystal subtlety evident and good bitterness , nice bit of dry hopped citra to come!

Just finished off a bottle of Ballast Point Big Eye IPA, reminds me just how delicious a big, hoppy 7% beer can be...mind you I think it's something like 75 IBU...

Yes its a bit low in IBU but I reckon it will be interesting

Agreed - I've sorted some issues in beersmith and now have a correct 25lt batch size
Next brew is a stone brewery sublimely self righteous black IIPA

carniebrew said:
Just finished off a bottle of Ballast Point Big Eye IPA, reminds me just how delicious a big, hoppy 7% beer can be...mind you I think it's something like 75 IBU...
I shared a sixer of these last week in Cairns, I agree that it is an excellent drop. I don't usually like high alcohol beers (above say 5.5%) but the Ballast Point Big Eye had the balance just right. Beautiful smash of bitterness after a long day of paddling the Tully river. Can't wait to get my hands on some more.

Hi New_guy,

your recipe sounds interesting! Was wondering if you could post your 25lt batch one, as well as the hopps used, and maybe also the schedule. What temperature are you mashing on? Or just single infusion?

I would really appreciate your feedback on that, as i would love to brew that beer :)

tosa said:
Hi New_guy,

your recipe sounds interesting! Was wondering if you could post your 25lt batch one, as well as the hopps used, and maybe also the schedule. What temperature are you mashing on? Or just single infusion?

I would really appreciate your feedback on that, as i would love to brew that beer :)
Sure mate no worries - will do tonight
If I forget send me a reminder!

tosa said:
Hi New_guy,

Here you go

Mornington IPA Clone
Batch: 25lt
ABV: 6.78%
OG: 1.070
FG: 1.019
IBU: 72

Grain Bill
6400g Marris Otter Pale Malt
1200g Vienna Malt
400g Crystal 60 Malt

60 min Mash @ 66 deg

Hop Schedule

60 min boil

60 min
Amarillo 25g
Simcoe 25g

20 min
Amarillo 20g
Simcoe 20g

Dry Hop 75g Citra

Great! Thanks a lot mate! I will try it soon and let you know how it went!

tosa said:
Great! Thanks a lot mate! I will try it soon and let you know how it went!
An bring a bottle to share.

Yeah that would be great ,I let you know, how long would be good to wait before drinking it?

Cracked this tonight - ended up doing citra dry hop @ 4.4 gm/Lt
It did crash out at 1.030 and is 5.74 ABV but i reckon its not to bad
Will be interesting when someone tries it who knows what they are talking about
Citra certainly makes itself known but it has a good malt character to balance it (it my uneducated opinion)
For all I know it could have every beer fault known to man
Crystal gives it a great colour

Mornington IPA Clone.jpeg

I thought it was delicious. I'm a real sucker for huge hoppy American IPA's. Bloody big fan of the original MP Brew IPA.

Can you post the final recipe you used?

Grain Bill

Weight

%

Marris Otter

78%

Vienna

16%

Crystal 60

6%

Hops

Weight

IBU

Schedule

Amarillo

60 min

Simcoe

60 min

Amarillo

20 min

Simcoe

20 min

Total

Dry Hop

Citra

5 days

Yeast

WLP001 x1

US-05 x1

Specific Gravity

Date

Actual

Potential ABV %

OG

25-Apr

5.74%

Test

27-Apr

Test

30-Apr

Test

3-May

Test

7-May

Test

8-May

Cold Fermentation @ 2 degs

FG

10-May

1.030 dry hop 110g citra

Bottled 16/5/14

I am going to brew again, have re-written recipe for 25LT and get IBU up to 65 and ABV 6.5

Crikey that's hard to decipher. Have you got Simcoe in there twice, with different AA%? First one looks like 17.3, 2nd time it's 10.4?

Is there a reason this thread is under the 'merri mashers"?

Back