Mornington IPA clone - OG 1.074 & WP001 - ? sufficient yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_guy

Reaction score
Have just pitched White Labs California Ale WLP001 onto my Mornington IPA Clone

(Cheers to Spiesy for sorting my order over Easter!)

Using Brewsmith 2
AG BIAB

Batch Volume: 34 Lt

Grain Bill
8000g Marris Otter
1600g Vienna Malt
600g Crystal 60

Planned
OG: 1.066
FG: 1.017
ABV: 6.44%
IBU: 47.6

Actual
OG: 1.074
FG: ? 1.017
ABV: ?7.49%

Beersmith told me (presuming 70% efficiency) I would have a batch volume in the fermenter of 34lt @ 1.066, in reality I have 26lt in the fermenter and an OG of 1.074!
Will the yeast be sufficient for 1.074?

Without a starter? It's a bit of an underpitch. White labs say one in date vial is good for 19l up to 1050, IIRC. I think it will still do the job, but expect a lag, possibly some stressed flavors (maybe?)

Any dry yeast around? Could you put in two packets of us05 in instead?

Mr. No-Tip said:
Without a starter? It's a bit of an underpitch. White labs say one in date vial is good for 19l up to 1050, IIRC. I think it will still do the job, but expect a lag, possibly some stressed flavors (maybe?)

Any dry yeast around? Could you put in two packets of us05 in instead?
I have a packet of US05 in the fridge,

The WLP001 vial says "if the OG is over 1.070 a yeast starter can be made"

Thats a big under pitch in my books. I haven't done any side by side comparisons but the internet says that us05 and 001 are the same yeast. I'd chuck in the us05 for good measure.

top up water maybe to get the desired og?

going down a hill said:
Thats a big under pitch in my books. I haven't done any side by side comparisons but the internet says that us05 and 001 are the same yeast. I'd chuck in the us05 for good measure.
Cranked up the google machine, looks like WLP001, US05 and 1056 originate from the same strain but it appears that perceived bitterness particularly in a dry hopped, hop-forward IPA (as seen here) can fluctuate with US05 that can see the dry hop profile fade earlier.

This may be utter shite but is an interesting read.

Using brewers friend you can add 3.15L of boiled then cooled water to bring your OG down to 1.066 and will boost the vol back to 29.15
I would do this as it will bring the recipe closer to what you planned.
When dialling in my Beersmith I had to dilute most if my brews to correct OG.
Beersmith is great once it's dialled in to your equipment.

As for the yeast question, dilute and pitch. Or make a starter and call it an IIPA

Tex083 said:
Using brewers friend you can add 3.15L of boiled then cooled water to bring your OG down to 1.066 and will boost the vol back to 29.15

As for the yeast question, dilute and pitch. Or make a starter and call it an IIPA
That's a great calculator. I'll be using that.

I have the free brewers friend app so I can do boil off/ dilution as well as gravity adjustments with temp correction. I did use it for priming sugar but now use Beersmith for consistency.

New_guy said:
Cranked up the google machine, looks like WLP001, US05 and 1056 originate from the same strain but it appears that perceived bitterness particularly in a dry hopped, hop-forward IPA (as seen here) can fluctuate with US05 that can see the dry hop profile fade earlier.

This may be utter shite but is an interesting read.
Or you could add more hops in it to counter that problem. Or drink it faster!
Better that than under pitching imho.

Tex083 said:

Looks like its going to be a IIPA as I don't have the capacity to for 29.15lt in a 30lt FV

Originally planned for x2 18 lt brews

I have a diy stir plate you can borrow to make up a starter, I'm in Torquay till Sunday arvo.
I have a couple of flasks too.
If it's cubed you should be ok but if it's chilled then I don't suggest leaving it to wild ferment.

I'm not going to offer any advice here. I just want to say how impressed I am with the number of replies since the question was posted at 10am today.
However, for what it's worth, I'd go with the dilute option if over target OG. Then grit your teeth and chuck some to make head space, or use a few growlers or something?

Out of stubbornness I just can't tip any wort down the sink.
As it's in the FV (in fridge set at 21 as per WL) and the yeast has been pitched it's got until tomorrow morning to prove if it's got the mettle

going down a hill said:
Or you could add more hops in it to counter that problem. Or drink it faster!
Better that than under pitching imho.
Always love more hops!

I'm a bit concerned about your numbers here mate....according to Yeastcalc 34 litres of 1.074 wort needs a whopping 458 billion cells pitched on it. Even if your WLP001 is only a month old it'd have about 75 billion in it. You need to get some more yeast in there, and a bloody lot of it, stat!

Even if you diluted it down to 1.066 you'd still need 411 billion cells. Pitching one vial of yeast was pretty optimistic!

I'm also curious about your IBU...if you go ahead and pitch more yeast you're looking at a 7.5% abv beer with only 48 IBU. I'm not sure it'll be as hoppy as you were hoping for. I can't find the IBU's of the Mornington Pale Ale, but at 6.4% I would have thought it'd be mid 50's at least?

carniebrew said:
I'm a bit concerned about your numbers here mate....according to Yeastcalc 34 litres of 1.074 wort needs a whopping 458 billion cells pitched on it. Even if your WLP001 is only a month old it'd have about 75 billion in it. You need to get some more yeast in there, and a bloody lot of it, stat!

Even if you diluted it down to 1.066 you'd still need 411 billion cells. Pitching one vial of yeast was pretty optimistic!

I'm also curious about your IBU...if you go ahead and pitch more yeast you're looking at a 7.5% abv beer with only 48 IBU. I'm not sure it'll be as hoppy as you were hoping for. I can't find the IBU's of the Mornington Pale Ale, but at 6.4% I would have thought it'd be mid 50's at least?
Nah Mate,
Its 26 Lt not 34
Its within BJCP for an IPA (mind you right on the edge)
But as its my second AG I am pretty happy with it.
My arms are kinda tied as I don't have the space to expand capacity thus have to go with the higher OG/SG/ABV and certainly would have boosted the IBUs if I planned on a 7.5% beer
Will be interesting to see how it comes out and plan on a shite load of dry hopping

Ah, ok...your recipe said 34l batch volume, I see now you posted that it ended up only 26. What happened there out of interest?

You still have a big yeast problem though, 26l of 1.074 still needs 350b cells, and you may have pitched only 20% of that (what was your mfr date?). It'd be a shame to see 26l of IPA go to waste due to yeast stress...at least throw a pack of properly re-hydrated US-05 on it...

carniebrew said:
Ah, ok...your recipe said 34l batch volume, I see now you posted that it ended up only 26. What happened there out of interest?

You still have a big yeast problem though, 26l of 1.074 still needs 350b cells, and you may have pitched only 20% of that (what was your mfr date?). It'd be a shame to see 26l of IPA go to waste due to yeast stress...at least throw a pack of properly re-hydrated US-05 on it...
Re the volume,
first problem was I need 44lt of strike water in a 50lt keg ...... and I forgot to factor in the volume taken up by the grain.
Solution? 40lt in keg and 4lt in seperate pot with about 10% of the grain in the small pot - both identical mash then combined once BIAB grain taken out of keg
2nd problem - bit of a boil-over prob lost a few litres
Otherwise I am not sure, I think i may have had to much of an aggressive boil

Yeast is best before 17th July 2014 so was produced on 17th March
I have pitched a pack of US05

Ack..I know that volume issue, to make a 22l batch to fit my 20l cube I end up having to start with 33 or so litres in my 38l pot, which makes things very bloody full when the grain goes in. I've backed off to a 17l batch to go in a 15l cube, which gives me plenty of head space in the kettle but leaves the keg a bit emptier.

Latest posts

Back