American IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shacked

I like beer
Reaction score
Still working through a pile of hops I inherited from a mate and it's time to brew another IPA thanks to a free mid-week madness WLP001 from Barleyman.

I'm yet to use Columbus hops and from what I read I think the herbal character might be well suited to a grain bill that includes a touch of rye for spiciness and some munich for extra malt character. Thinking about also substituting the 2 row with maris.

I BIAB in a crown urn and prefer to no-chill.

Here is my recipe, let me know your thoughts / suggestions. I also have 50 odd grams each of Amarillo, Saaz, EKG, Northdown, Challenger, Magnum and 15g each of galaxy and nelson sauvin.

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 22.0
Total Grain (kg): 7.350
Total Hops (g): 180.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.061 (°P): 15.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.99 %
Colour (SRM): 7.0 (EBC): 13.8
Bitterness (IBU): 78.1 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 60
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
6.000 kg American 2-Row (81.63%)
0.700 kg Munich I (9.52%)
0.350 kg Rye Malt (4.76%)
0.200 kg Crystal 40 (2.72%)
0.100 kg Wheat Malt (1.36%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g Chinook Pellet (11.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort) (0.9 g/L)

25.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)
20.0 g Chinook Pellet (11.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
15.0 g Columbus Pellet (14.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

20.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Chinook Pellet (11.4% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Columbus Pellet (14.2% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.9 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 19°C with WLP001 - California Ale

That grain bill looks pretty similar to my latest IPA, I used 15% vienna in place of the munich and the rye. Chinook is pretty harsh at 60 I've found, like Galaxy. Also I'm a hop head, and with my grain bill I dry hopped at 7g/L and it balanced nicely with the malt backbone. I reckon with the rye 5g/L or more would be awesome.

Personally - I'd either up the wheat or add Carapils for some head retention. Leave the 2-row in. I wouldn't want malt fest in an AIPA, and you've already got some Munich in there. Go with Magnum at 60, for bittering, as Yob recommended.

I use more wheat nowadays and no carapils at all, wheat adds a wonderful head, I go through almost as much wheat as I do pale malt

Spiesy said:
Personally - I'd either up the wheat or add Carapils for some head retention. Leave the 2-row in. I wouldn't want malt fest in an AIPA, and you've already got some Munich in there. Go with Magnum at 60, for bittering, as Yob recommended.
Cheers mate. How much more wheat do you think? Up it to 5%?

Also the 78 IBU is a little high but my no chill brews always seem to be a little less bitter than the calculated IBU would suggest.

Yob said:
Personally, I'd sub magnum in at 60 in place of the chinook
Cool. I've got 23g of magnum left so I'll throw that in at 60 which will only move the IBU slightly.

shacked said:
Cheers mate. How much more wheat do you think? Up it to 5%?

Also the 78 IBU is a little high but my no chill brews always seem to be a little less bitter than the calculated IBU would suggest.
I'd go around 10%, but 20 won't hurt - as Yob said. Wheat may cloud the beer a little in higher amounts, don't know if this is of concern to you or not.

Cool. Should I reduce the base malt to compensate?

shacked said:
Cool. Should I reduce the base malt to compensate?
Probably no need, unless you want to keep your fermentables and gravity in check. With that many IBU's, I think you'll be okay with a little more malt.

My spanner for your works but I love a shade of early chinook resin to cut up the fruit salad of aromatic us hops.

Latest posts

Back