Morgans Golden Saaz Pilsener

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappy71

Reaction score
Hi Guys, i am trying to recreate the barons lager if possible, quite a nice beer. I just brought the morgans golden saaz and the morgans malt extract. Also with the saaz finishing hops, do you think im on the right track.
Thanks

depends how much of the saaz flavour you want but, i would at the very least, boil the hops with the malt. as opposed to just steeping them in the cup of boiling water like the packet says.
never tasted the brew your talkin about, but 25g of saaz in a stocking for even 5 - 7 mins, then left in fermenter, gives an awesome saaz flavour with a great sniff!

Definitely add some hops, I tried some Morgan's Goldens Saaz made with a kilo of dex at my mate's and it looked beautiful but just tasted like a Brigalow kit, i.e. bloody tasteless. Also buffering up the malt would not go astray.

Hi Guys, i am trying to recreate the barons lager if possible, quite a nice beer. I just brought the morgans golden saaz and the morgans malt extract. Also with the saaz finishing hops, do you think im on the right track.
Thanks

I am not sure how close it is to the Baron's Lager but you are on the way to making a good beer. I have made the Golden Saaz kit 5 times, adding light dried malt, a small amount of crystal grain and extra hops (saaz or hallertau - my personal preference is the hallertau). It has always turned out well.

Unfortunately Morgans don't give the colour or bitterness of this kit on their website. I sent them an email about it but they never replied.

Back