More Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toadskin

Reaction score
I have a wheat beer brew in the fermenter and its been in there now for 9 days. sg is down to 1021 but it is very slow now (at 18.5C) The taste is great with cloves and other nice esters, although still a little too sweet at the moment. It is very light on hops as a wheat beer usually is but I would like a bit more in it. Question: can I put, say 20gm of hallertauer hop pellets in the top of the fermenter now and then just bottle it in another 5 or 6 days when it gets down to 1014 or so?

If you dryhop now you will get mostly aroma which is not what you want in a wheat.

Suggest making 'hop tea' steep hops in boiling water for about 20 mins allow to cool then add to mix.

Don't forget that if the beer is tasting sweet now then that will mask any hop bitterness might be a good idea to wait and see before taking any action.

is it sweet because u still have fermentables that haven't turned into alcohol? i'm new to this
but with a reading of 1021 would indicate sugar/malts havent been eaten up by the yeast yet and this is why it is sweet??

is it sweet because u still have fermentables that haven't turned into alcohol? i'm new to this
but with a reading of 1021 would indicate sugar/malts havent been eaten up by the yeast yet and this is why it is sweet??

Yes that's right. It still has a way to go yet to achieve FG 1014 so some sugars are still present giving it a sweetish taste.

If you dryhop now you will get mostly aroma which is not what you want in a wheat.

Suggest making 'hop tea' steep hops in boiling water for about 20 mins allow to cool then add to mix.

Don't forget that if the beer is tasting sweet now then that will mask any hop bitterness might be a good idea to wait and see before taking any action.

20gms Hallertauer in 500ml boiling water for 5mins, allowed to sit for 20mins, cooled to 19C and added to the wort and it is bubbling away again quite happily. Hope I've done the right thing.

Yep looks fine you will get more hop flavour if that is what you were after without boosting the bitterness much at all.

I have a wheat beer brew in the fermenter and its been in there now for 9 days. sg is down to 1021 but it is very slow now (at 18.5C) The taste is great with cloves and other nice esters, although still a little too sweet at the moment. It is very light on hops as a wheat beer usually is but I would like a bit more in it. Question: can I put, say 20gm of hallertauer hop pellets in the top of the fermenter now and then just bottle it in another 5 or 6 days when it gets down to 1014 or so?

If you want it like a traditional/stylistic wheat then dry hopping will be out of place and won't add bitterness as Tropical brews has suggested.

Dry hopping is usually considered best done post fermentation so wait until it's finished then decide. If the gravity gets lower it will be less sweet.

If you want a hoppier wheat then the suggested hop tea or a dry hop at the end of ferment will be OK (or both). Dry hopping does add some flavour as well as aroma.

Back