Monster Mill 2 Hopper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking good, how are you going to motorize it, I use a drill (corded as my cordless can't even start it) and just can't get it to go slow enough, I have the gap at 1mm and seem to get a some flour, some good crack and some uncracked.

I bought a wiper motor, so that's on my long list of un-finished projects :)

g'day mxd,

that's exactly my scenario for the trial run today except for the uncracked, (maybe a little too much flour) i'm set @ 1mm also and got the same results as you, maybe you wouldn't think so from the above pic of the crush, it doesn't look too bad there.

i suppose i'll stay with the current setup for awhile until i build another frame (got some SS angle somewhere in the shed :) )

motors, i haven't really thought about yet, need to do some research and see what the cool kids are using B)

what's your specifics for the wiper ?

cheers

Dave

Hey Dave,

the wiper motor was a 99cent ebay joby, I can't remember what car it was for, but it was around the corner so I thought it was worth the risk (99Cents) :)

I've been researching the same thing.

Looked at the big AC motors, with pulleys etc. Gets expensive and big pulleys everywhere. I have a 1/4hp down the back if your interested; pretty sure it would be ok for the mm2.

The wiper motors. A few have had them on here, but they generally run slow, and get really hot eventually burning out. I'm not sure if there are different powered versions?

http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com//index.php the SC250g $86
I ended up buying this, and it arrived just today, the same motor AndrewQld powers his MM2 with for quite a while.
It's a DC motor that is designed for 24v, but run it on 12v to get a decent crush speed and it would help keep the motor cooler.

Then get a http://www.jaycar.com.au/productResults.as...&SUBMIT.y=0
to join it to your mill - I actually only paid $14.75 in Bundy for it.

Finally you need a 12v power supply to run it, if thats the speed you want to run it at. AndrewQld uses a 12v 12amp (I think) power supply he got. I've got an old computer PSU I've had laying around, only a 250w job but with 12v 8amp will see how it goes. Does have 25amp at 5v so that would give a nice slow crush without damaging the grain husks too much; but probably take a week to crush a few batches worth; experiments coming up.

Also my hole (the mill!) is 33mm wide by 40mm long. It was longer but I shortened it.

Another trick from AndrewQld, for the last few grains use a paint brush to flick them in the hole; works too easy.

QldKev

Here's a quality photo of the motor;

motor1.jpg

now that's good wiring!
For anyone wanting to look at a PSU
Black - Earth
Red - +12v
Yellow - +5v
Green - Switch PSU on, just switch to earth

White/purple/blue/brown cut the biatches off

QldKev

thanks fellas,
it all seems fine without the valleys, it is a little pita to brush the last bits of grain in but i can live with it, i didn't have any feed problems through the rollers or any unbroken kernels that i could see, think the gap maybe a little tight though (see pic)

3kg
000_0079.jpg

i was a bit suprised at how quick these mills get through the grain, the drill started OK without feeding the grain with the motor running but the next step is to get it properly motorised and housed in a decent box.

cheers

*wipes tears*

That is some nice work mate!

Thanks for sharing! May hit you up for design if thats cool?

biab on.

I've been researching the same thing.

Looked at the big AC motors, with pulleys etc. Gets expensive and big pulleys everywhere. I have a 1/4hp down the back if your interested; pretty sure it would be ok for the mm2.

The wiper motors. A few have had them on here, but they generally run slow, and get really hot eventually burning out. I'm not sure if there are different powered versions?

http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com//index.php the SC250g $86
I ended up buying this, and it arrived just today, the same motor AndrewQld powers his MM2 with for quite a while.
It's a DC motor that is designed for 24v, but run it on 12v to get a decent crush speed and it would help keep the motor cooler.

Then get a http://www.jaycar.com.au/productResults.as...&SUBMIT.y=0
to join it to your mill - I actually only paid $14.75 in Bundy for it.

Finally you need a 12v power supply to run it, if thats the speed you want to run it at. AndrewQld uses a 12v 12amp (I think) power supply he got. I've got an old computer PSU I've had laying around, only a 250w job but with 12v 8amp will see how it goes. Does have 25amp at 5v so that would give a nice slow crush without damaging the grain husks too much; but probably take a week to crush a few batches worth; experiments coming up.

Also my hole (the mill!) is 33mm wide by 40mm long. It was longer but I shortened it.

Another trick from AndrewQld, for the last few grains use a paint brush to flick them in the hole; works too easy.

QldKev

Thanks for the links Kev, really need to pick your big electrical brain over a few beers one arvo :)

*wipes tears*

That is some nice work mate!

Thanks for sharing! May hit you up for design if thats cool?

biab on.

shit mate it's only a bit of ali :)

just pm me when you're ready and i'll get the measurements together for you

cheers

Dave

3V

shit mate it's only a bit of ali :)

just pm me when you're ready and i'll get the measurements together for you

cheers

Dave

3V

Awesome mate, cheers..stay tuned for the PM, I reckon I could bend and cut some sheet and a starting point, just something like yours, will be a great guide!

Cheers again!

IKNOW. ( :p )

I looked at that, but it's 1/4" where the mm shaft is 1/2" so I need to find a 1/2" version.

i thought it was 3/8, could be wrong though..

I know I need to drill it out to suit the mill; will find out more details for you today

also for larger size ones look up 'lovejoy'

QldKev

here's a tip for those without a set of feeler guages to set the roller gap, give an old hacksaw blade a clean-up with a flap wheel, seems to be pretty spot on for setting the gap.

cheers

Dave

I know I need to drill it out to suit the mill; will find out more details for you today

also for larger size ones look up 'lovejoy'

QldKev

The monster mill come in either a 3/8 or 1/2 inch shaft.
The 1/2inch is an upgrade.

I have the 3/8, and the spider coupler drilled out no problems at all. Looking at it I think it would be ok to drill out to 1/2inch.

Thre output shaft from the motor had a thread that I ground down. Basically I turned the motor on, and lightly touched the shaft with a grinder; and then filed it to finish it off. Then ground a flat section in it. I ended up at 6.5mm and drilled the coupler out to suit. All fitted up neatly.

For a power supply I only had a 250w PSU from an old computer. It is only a 8amp @ +12v; it powered through the 2kg test grain no problems.

It's basically the same setup AndrewQld has run for a couple of years, and overall I'm very happy with it.
I'll get a pic or two tonight after work.

Yardy if you want to check the motor out for ideas come over anytime; but don't laugh at my hopper compared to yours.

Kev

The monster mill come in either a 3/8 or 1/2 inch shaft.
The 1/2inch is an upgrade.

I have the 3/8, and the spider coupler drilled out no problems at all. Looking at it I think it would be ok to drill out to 1/2inch.

Thre output shaft from the motor had a thread that I ground down. Basically I turned the motor on, and lightly touched the shaft with a grinder; and then filed it to finish it off. Then ground a flat section in it. I ended up at 6.5mm and drilled the coupler out to suit. All fitted up neatly.

For a power supply I only had a 250w PSU from an old computer. It is only a 8amp @ +12v; it powered through the 2kg test grain no problems.

It's basically the same setup AndrewQld has run for a couple of years, and overall I'm very happy with it.
I'll get a pic or two tonight after work.

Yardy if you want to check the motor out for ideas come over anytime; but don't laugh at my hopper compared to yours.

Kev

as long as you don't laugh at my retarded elektrikity skills :huh:

that sounds good mate, will pm you :)

cheers

Latest posts

Back