Monster Mill 2 Hopper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardy

BI3V
Reaction score
just a few pics of the hopper i've been knocking up

the guillotine
000_0033.jpg

the folder
000_0036.jpg

000_0041.jpg

000_0043.jpg

000_0046.jpg

cheers

I'll save you a place to camp next to Pete Ross.

No, no don't thank me.

Batz

Looks good Yardy, as does the square with the engraving on the corner :lol:

Batz

Looks fantastic Yardy, nice bit of razzle dazzle there.

Andrew

Very nice yardy my storm water drain is looking a bit tired.

sav

Looks cool,
and to think, I was going to send your pics of my dodgy wooden housing for my mill

QldKev

thanks fellas, nothing wrong with your eyes Batz, didn't see that :lol:

cheers

So whats it hold Yardy?

I am seein bout 8-9 kg? Easy..

And a little problem I also can see is 'how does the grain get through to the rollers?' ;)

thanks fellas, nothing wrong with your eyes Batz, didn't see that :lol:

cheers

Just wondered if it was the same brand as mine. :lol:

Batz

Just wondered if it was the same brand as mine. :lol:

Batz

yeah same brand, probably not square like mine either :icon_cheers:

000_0049.jpg

the chute is some left over angle
000_0064.jpg

000_0056.jpg

closed the sides in with ali
000_0069.jpg

cheers

Dave

Oh, I see rollers!

Again, how much does that hopper hold Yardy? Reason, I am designing mine and this has come up at a perfect time but need a 20kg pour in..

Anyway..

Looks awesome mate, you should make some really good BIABs with that beast! :p

Oh, I see rollers!

Again, how much does that hopper hold Yardy? Reason, I am designing mine and this has come up at a perfect time but need a 20kg pour in..

Anyway..

Looks awesome mate, you should make some really good BIABs with that beast! :p

G'day Cocko,

not sure how much it holds yet mate, i'll give it a maiden run today, you're welcome to the dimensions if you want.

i'm going to see how much a pita it is milling without the 2 valley pieces that run at an angle to the opening, if it's a drama to get the last of the grain into the rollers then i'll fit some in.

cheers

biab ?

Oh sure its nice, but its no marga mill with storm water hopper...

Will you blokes ever stop making me want to buy/build things?

The more you post the happy we all are with that avatar Yardy! :icon_cheers:

Top job on the hopper. Did you contemplate introducing a sliding panel in the bottom to reduce force required to get the MM rolling initially? I find a sliding base helps a lot with my MM2 & cordless drill setup ... yours is the beez kneez though.

Love the obligatory beer shots included in the build... just like your 2 Tier frame piccies iirc.

Oh sure its nice, but its no marga mill with storm water hopper...

Will you blokes ever stop making me want to buy/build things?

g'day MLB, nothing wrong with a marga/storm water :super: , that's what i upgraded from, it was AndrewQld's old mill and now it's onto it's 3rd brewer, a mate of mine has just got into AG so he's giving it a workout

(thanks to ekul for organising the MM2 buy, $150 delivered B) )

The more you post the happy we all are with that avatar Yardy! :icon_cheers:

Top job on the hopper. Did you contemplate introducing a sliding panel in the bottom to reduce force required to get the MM rolling initially? I find a sliding base helps a lot with my MM2 & cordless drill setup ... yours is the beez kneez though.

Love the obligatory beer shots included in the build... just like your 2 Tier frame piccies iirc.

g'day raven, i had a look at yours when i was searching around for options, it's a good idea but doesn't really suit because i want to keep the whole thing sealed and the 'mill dust' to a minimum, which was a bit of a problem with the old marga.

glad you like the avatar, i'll be sure and tell my mates sister :icon_cheers:

cheers

i'm going to see how much a pita it is milling without the 2 valley pieces that run at an angle to the opening, if it's a drama to get the last of the grain into the rollers then i'll fit some in.

Hey Yardy,

With the way my hopper is seup with a free-fall into the rollers like yours, i have found at times i have excessive amounts of unbroken kernels say 15%. I believe the reason for this is the grain falling over the top of the rollers and down the sides due to the gap between the baseplate and hopper. in your case the fall is shorter and should hopefully be more directed.

My plan is to make a couple of impromtu valleys out of an ice cream container or something to see what kind of results i get. Considering im planning on brewing 4-5 batches from today till sunday, this weekend might be the best time to test said theory! :icon_cheers:

I also had issues with the grain feed on mine. I ended up decreasing the feed area to about half, which allows the grain to spread out evenly onto the rollers without putting too much pressure on the rollers, and spilling out the sides.

QldKev

Looking great Yardy, I really envy you guys that can build things of beauty.

I think you'll find the grain that will get trapped on those ledges a bit of a pita, though i guess a paint brush will sort the problem fairly quickly.
Are those rollers starting to rust, or is it just the pic?

Cheers Ross

I also had issues with the grain feed on mine. I ended up decreasing the feed area to about half, which allows the grain to spread out evenly onto the rollers without putting too much pressure on the rollers, and spilling out the sides.

QldKev

mine is the full length of the rollers minus around 1/2 inch each end and around 1inch wide. maybe my opening is too wide?

thanks fellas,
it all seems fine without the valleys, it is a little pita to brush the last bits of grain in but i can live with it, i didn't have any feed problems through the rollers or any unbroken kernels that i could see, think the gap maybe a little tight though (see pic)

@ 4star, i don't think the feed slot would be too wide @ 25mm mate, mines at 35mm, maybe it's the gap between the hopper and the mill you mentioned.

@ Ross, i'll be investing in a brush to get the last bit of grain in off the ledge, my fingers were a little too close for comfort in the trial run, yeah, that is a bit of rust on the rollers, i think it's from where i drooled a little when i first opened the box :lol:

@ Kev, which way did you decrease the feed area mate ?

000_0074.jpg

000_0072.jpg

3kg
000_0079.jpg

cocky.jpg

000_0075.jpg

i was a bit suprised at how quick these mills get through the grain, the drill started OK without feeding the grain with the motor running but the next step is to get it properly motorised and housed in a decent box.

cheers

looking good, how are you going to motorize it, I use a drill (corded as my cordless can't even start it) and just can't get it to go slow enough, I have the gap at 1mm and seem to get a some flour, some good crack and some uncracked.

I bought a wiper motor, so that's on my long list of un-finished projects :)

Latest posts

Back