Moderation Pale Ale - Mt Tamborine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reviled

Reaction score
Hey guys

Im keen to try and replicate something like Tamborines Moderation Pale Ale - which is basically like an IPA in terms of flavour and aroma, but only weighs in at 3.3%

I really want something like this as a house ale, nice and hoppy, but not too punishing like a 7% IPA :icon_cheers:

Any tips re malt bill, hops, OG:BU ratio, IBU's etc would be appreciated! Im thinking full late hopping might be a good idea, but have also read that with full late hopping the bitterness can disappear??? be keen to hear more about this...

Cheers

no idea about the Mt Tam PA but you could have a look at the recipe Maple is using for the Vic xmas case swap which is essentially a light beer with 207IBU. you could consider using that as a starting position and drop back the ibu substantially.

again this obviously has no resemblence to Mt Tam PA cause i know nothing about it. but i figure this might provide some food for thought?

or I suppose you could modify Doc's YardGlass light which is apparently a great beer

no idea about the Mt Tam PA but you could have a look at the recipe Maple is using for the Vic xmas case swap which is essentially a light beer with 207IBU. you could consider using that as a starting position and drop back the ibu substantially.

again this obviously has no resemblence to Mt Tam PA cause i know nothing about it. but i figure this might provide some food for thought?

or I suppose you could modify Doc's YardGlass light which is apparently a great beer

Maple is one crazy mo fo :ph34r: 200gms of Columbus in the dry hop is going to be pungent as :icon_drool2: lol, nice!

I wasnt really going for a dark coloured beer tho, more pale... But cheers...

Docs beer may be a good starting point, but I was after a bit more info on all late hopping, like no 60 or 90 min addition and getting all your IBUs from 20 mins onwards, what experiances have people have with this?

Docs beer may be a good starting point, but I was after a bit more info on all late hopping, like no 60 or 90 min addition and getting all your IBUs from 20 mins onwards, what experiances have people have with this?

All late hopping gives a strong hop flavour and aroma which can be quite intense due to the larger amounts of hops needed.
Because there are more hops and less boiling of them the hops oils contribute to the body of the beer sometimes as well.
Hop choice can play a big role, The difference between needing 5g of bittering for a high alpha @60 and say 20g is less noticeable than 20g of late hops versus 80g...
Do a search on 'hopburst' (or with space) and you'll find lots of reading on the subject...

Personally, although I like beers with lots of late hops, I like a bittering addition, even if it is just a very small one, to just kind of underpin it all, but it is hard to say exactly why, just seems more well rounded hop flavour wise overall.

Edit: No real answer on the Moderation. I've only drunk it not paid too much attention to trying to approximate it. Maybe if their current or former brewer reads this they may choose to give some hints. You could always try emailing them...

I wasnt really going for a dark coloured beer tho, more pale...
its only 12SRM. thats pale enough isnt it? besides you could knock back/out the choc or special B

re late hopping. well you cetainly get a lot of flavour from that which is probably good due to the lack of grain flavour you can get from a 3%alc batch of beer.

no experiance personally (although a light alc beer is on my list to master). Doc might be the man to ask in regard to his experiments leading to the yardglass light.

Have something similar (sort of) in my recipe list tyler, empty your PM inbox

Cheers,

Screwy

Latest posts

Back