MO Triple Deity IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neal.p

Reaction score
Had a few cans of this over the past couple of weeks and it's a great beer. The tropical hops absolutely smash their way through the very light malts. So much so I'm looking into cloning it.

It has two malts: Torrified Wheat and Raw Barley
And two hops: Idaho 7 and Nelson Sauvin

Any ideas about the malt (50/50?) and hop weights/percentages? I'm a newb and I thought that Torrified wheat was only used in low percentages for head retention. Maybe a wit recipe would shed some light. But then there also needs to be enough raw barley enzymes (diastatic power).

Raw barley? Neither torrified nor presumably unmalted (raw) barley will have any diastatic power and neither are malts, so I'm guessing that's not the full grist. More info needed.

Raw barley? Neither torrified nor presumably unmalted (raw) barley will have any diastatic power and neither are malts, so I'm guessing that's not the full grist. More info needed.

That's what I thought. There's a bit of contradictory info about. They only list those two ingredients. Maybe they are adding an enzyme product like Ondea Pro?

Or just try with wheat malt and pale malt? Seems like a much easier option.

60/40 split between ale malt and wheat malt is a good grist if you want hops to shine, while still giving a decent mouthfeel and head retention. It will also give that opaque look of a NEIPA.

I take it the hops are almost all late additions, although I havent tried it myself. I cant find any reference to the IBU, untapped says 'No IBU'. Probably something like 200g whirlpool addition, plus another 200g dry hop if its anything like other NEIPAs.

for a 23L batch
4KG Pale Malt
2.7KG Wheat malt

100g Idaho 7 Whirlpool 80c 30mins
100g Nelsen Whirlpol 80c 30Mins

50g Idaho 7 Dry hop 5 days
50g Nelson Dry hop 5 days
50g Idaho 7 Dry hop 3 days
50g Nelson Dry hop 3 days

WLP008

Start the first dry hop at pitch.

Last edited: