Mmm....Is the Gov starting to crackdown on distilling ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before you know it the Guvement will tax the window stills, legislate and contact potential suppliers to reduce the damage in comparison to the louvers, because they are entirely different ways to enlighten the habitation.

Funny think about flies though, seemingly attracted to stills and it ends up the end of them.....

Or they could just charge you stamp duty when you buy your still, then charge you capital gains tax when you sell your still.

...and then the local water authority could charge you a fee just for having their service run adjacent to your still even though your still is not actually connected to their shitty shit pipe!!!

Maybe if you gave them some money every year they would give you a licence. Like they do with CB radios.

Just be sure to declare that you and your still are in a defacto relationship or risk disciplinary action!

panzerd18 said:
But what has made then turn a blind eye for so long and all of a sudden it's in the spotlight? I'm asking if the deaths in india were a contributing factor, or did this crackdown occur before that event?
Right wing gov. Ferkers.

A health issue, maybe, a couple of years ago 3 young Queens lander's died and a special Police task force was set up to look at illegal distilling of liquor.
I can't see the ATO wasting resources for less gain than expenditure.
Maybe they are going to ban the sale of stills or do a buy back, anyone bringing them in from overseas would risk losing their money and equipment plus maybe a fine.

What happened to the AHB member PUMPKIN he was importing and selling stills maybe he would know more, I haven't seen him on here for a while though.

wide eyed and legless said:
What happened to the AHB member PUMPKIN he was importing and selling stills maybe he would know more, I haven't seen him on here for a while though.
He was basically a F&^%wit....

He had his name changed on a distillers forum to RSOLE

Punkin was active on the board at the end of may, so he's still around.

The sale of stills(for any use) could be outlawed but this would only affect those openly selling stills. People will always be able to source stills from places other than homebrew shops. Going after everyone who has a still on their premise would be messy. That's not to say it can't happen but it would require significant motivation. We're all just guessing whether the motivation exists. So far, nothing has happened to suggest there is a genuine desire to change the current circumstance.

hellbent said:
same here... $25
I wonder how back home in NZ there is no issues with Distilling for personal use yet in a country that is meant to be modern and one of the best places to live in the world it isn't sigh

Having distilled back in NZ I can tell you that if done right 1L of quality Vodka/Neutral costs about $4 to produce

Now I am talking quality product that is comparable to told shelf liquor. Not the crap turbo yeast t500 bullshit which works out to be a dam sight cheaper

Deaths only happen when people water down alcohol with high quantity methanol to make the product go further

I could produce say 6L of 40ish % from a 30L wash without removing any methanol (generally you remove the first 150ml) drink the whole batch and I still wouldn't die from methanol poisoning

Tax wise last time I checked duty is $78 per Litre of 100% so for your 6L you should be paying about $156

Most of the brewers I know produce more then they can drink in order to build up aged stock so they can drink better product.

I have never sold and do not think people should

Safety wise more education is a good thing rather then a bad

I could easily build a still tomorrow if I wanted too

MODERATION
Please stick to the discussion of the question of the potential crackdown.

I have removed a few comments that were starting to discuss distilling practices.

edit:
If anyone feels their removed post was not in breach of the site rules please feel free to pm me to discuss.

Lips-that-touch-liquor.jpg

Not saying a word

Can't say that sign is an effective deterrent in relation to the surrounding persons.

I was thinking the same thing, except that a pair of lips that had touched liquor would have had to have touched a hell of a lot of liquor to want to touch the lips of the surrounding persons.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I can see why the government hates wind turbine...all those emissions once the start working

_57235827_57235415.jpg
Never had much faith in those spinny roundy things anyway.

Reality is, other than a couple of obscure cartoon video clips on YouTube, I've not heard any more about the crackdown. No newspaper ads, TV ads or any other information. No new legislation coming up or new rules - nothing.

We are allowed to own up to a 5L still for distilling water and essential oils etc. It's always been within the rules and still is, nothing has changed. They must also realise that they are shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted Openly selling stuff to distil alcohol has been available for years now, practically every home brew shop in the country sells it, plus online. I don't see a crackdown, just a reminder of the law is.

Back