Mixing In The Pot, Post Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odydoesbrew

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if my method is flawed.

I do around a 2-4 litre boil with extract and steepings and hop additions. When complete, I just add everything else into the boil pot and mix it up (i.e. the kit/malt and the rest of the adjuncts). When nicely mixed I pour it into the fermenter and add the required amount of water, all the time stirring and aerating. Get the right temp, add yeast. This seems fairly innocuous, but everyone else seems to mix in the fermenter. Isn't it easier to mix it all up in the pot or is this wrong?
Would be great to read your responses.

I'm not seeing anything wrong with what your describing. Keep up the good work.

I find it easier to ensure everything is dissolved completely if i mix in the pot then add to the fermenter and then top up with water.

:icon_cheers: SJ

I'm not seeing anything wrong with what your describing. Keep up the good work.

I find it easier to ensure everything is dissolved completely if i mix in the pot then add to the fermenter and then top up with water.

:icon_cheers: SJ

+1

Sounds fine to me also. When adding water, I find plenty of splashing of this water when pouring into the fermentor is more than adequate to aerate the wort in preparation for yeasties.

During the summer, when doing my regular kit-n-partial brew I put at least half a bag of drinking quality party ice into the fermenter first, then pour the hot stuff over it, top up with tap water then it's usually ready to pitch straight away.

I live round the corner from a big Liquorland so I use their ice which is absolute top quality.

I add everything else to the pot post boil so I can ensure it has dissolved properly, Then turf that into the fermenter with ice and top with cold tap water.

everything you already do, +

i always have a couple of clean take-away containers of freshly frozen ice in the freezer for temp dropping,

and i use the hand-held shower nozzle for filling the fermenter, as it gets lots and lots of air into the wort.

I do much the same as everyone else above:

* Steep
* Boil with LME / LDME to 1.040 to aid in the extraction of the hops
* LME bulk in at last 15 minutes
* 2 - 3 kg ice into the fermenter
* Hot wort in
* Cold water from the laundry tap full pelt to get extra air in
* Stir, stir, stir to combine even more
* Pitch rehyrdrated yeast or cup o' slurry
* Stir, stir, stir
* Clear wort from the tap (about 500 ml flow through) and return to fermenter
* Seal fermenter, add airlock just to keep Butters happy :D
* Measure OG
* Have a beer.

Seems to work OK.

Cheers - Fermented.

and i use the hand-held shower nozzle for filling the fermenter, as it gets lots and lots of air into the wort.

+1 my kitchen mixer tap has a retractable shower switchable normal nozzle with about 1 metre of hose brilliant for adding air and also a godsend for cleaning out a finished fermenter afterwards. Excellent all kitchens/breweries should have one. :)

That's great guys, thanks, it's good to know I'm doing nothing wong. I just kept reading posts where people where doing a small boil and then mixing everything else with it in the fermenter and I'm thinking maybe there's a good reason not to heat everyhing up first.
And some great tips for cooling before pitching.
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back