Miserable efficiency making it hard to follow recipes!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poggor

Reaction score
Hi guys- I have been doing some all grain brewing (BIAB) for the first time and Im having difficulty with my efficiency. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Today I wanted to make a bohemian pilsner. Im aiming for a finished batch of 17L

I mashed 5kg of finely milled grain in 12L of water in my esky at 68c. I lost a few degrees over the hour.
I squeezed the hell out of the grain bag over a colander and had 9L of wort (ie lost 3L to grain). Poured into kettle.
I sparged with 3L water at 77c by putting the grain bag back in the fresh hot water and stirring it around, squeezed, poured into kettle.

So 12 L in the kettle ready to boil.

My brewing software (beer alchemy) tells me that my pre boil gravity should be 1.085 (and this is at only 65% efficiency!) but i measured and after correcting for temperature it is only 1.070. Apparently this makes my efficiency about 53.7%

I can adjust my software to 54% efficiency but then I will have to make smaller batches. I have read the forum extensively and most people seem to be having no problems getting high efficiencies into the pot with BIAB.

Any suggestions?

cheers g

Try more water. I think about 4 litres to 1kg grain is good.

spryzie said:
Try more water. I think about 4 litres to 1kg grain is good.

If you've got the mash tun space then I'd give this a go first. 5kg into 12L sounds really low. Correct me if I'm wrong but even with a 3L sparge ~20L sounds on the conservative side for full(ish) volume BIAB?

Other steps you could try are a longer mash (90min instead of 60) and more/better lagging for the mash tun. Personally these two steps helped me go from mid 50s efficiency to 70s with BIAB.

Well thanks for the tips. I made a second batch this afternoon- a Duvel clone.

This time I mashed 5kg of grain in 15L (3L/kg- the max my mash tun could deal with) I also mashed for 90min instead of 60 and added a litre of boiling water midway (temp was 65 at end of 90min from strike of 68).
Sparged with 2L of 77c water and put 15L in the kettle... hey presto: efficiency 71% as per beer alchemy.

... easy!

thanks

An OG of 1085 ain't Bohemian Pilsner, dat's Malt Liqou', bro homie, mah main man. :beerbang:

For "normal" strength beers with 12-15 L batches I'd only be looking at around two and a half to three kilos. Why are you brewing so strong?

Bribie- preboil gravity of 1.085 is for 12L boil. This would normally then be diluted to 18L in the recipe for an OG of 1.056 or so. which is Pils.

From my understanding poggor, when you're trying to hit those higher OG's you're going to get a drop in efficiency. I tend to drop my efficiency in Beersmith 10% or so when doing bigger beers and I still find it a bit hit and miss at times.
It sounds to me like you need a bigger mash tun!

poggor, consider investing in a 40L Eletric urn kettle or a big-ass stock pot.

You're a Big W pot person then?

Yeah, I can fit 5kg of grain just in mine too. But 4kg is better.

With your small pot, always fill it to the brim when mashing.

Also, I don't worry about mash temp much, I simply mash in at 50c, ramp to 60c for an hour (or less sometimes), and then ramp to 70c for an hour (or less sometimes). Then mash out and sparge.

Latest posts

Back