Mini Kegs as a starter...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorschach

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

While I'd love a keg fridge, I don't have the space at the minute (and have no idea what I want), so have been looking at filling a couple of mini kegs from a batch and bottling the rest and stashing it.
Is getting some mini kegs to stash in the fridge worth it before getting a full kegerator?
All opinions welcome!

Personally I wouldn't think this is worth the investment as you'll be using the mini kegs as big bottles and that's an expensive way to go for little benefit.

If you just want larger vessels you can find larger bottles e.g. 1.5L Grolsch swingtops or even just 2L or 3L PET bottles.

Also FYI when I first read the thread title I thought that it was discussing yeast starters in mini kegs (which is certainly possible).

fdsaasdf said:
Personally I wouldn't think this is worth the investment as you'll be using the mini kegs as big bottles and that's an expensive way to go for little benefit.

If you just want larger vessels you can find larger bottles e.g. 1.5L Grolsch swingtops or even just 2L or 3L PET bottles.
I'm actually thinking more of dispensing them by grabbing them out of the fridge rather than a bottle. Kegging is my next step, and this is more of a gateway for me than anything else. I'm interested in packing off a couple of minis, fringing and carbing one Andy leaving the other in the cupboard til I get near the end of the first

fdsaasdf said:
Also FYI when I first read the thread title I thought that it was discussing yeast starters in mini kegs (which is certainly possible).
Blame my noviceness...

I was down a similar path not so long ago until I realised just how inexpensive kegging (big kegs) can be. A used fridge or freezer can be the chlling unit along with a cheap temp control device. You can start with bronco or party taps to dispense with. Used kegs are good enough for not much coin. And I can almost promise you that once you fill your first keg up you won't want to go back to farking around with bottles. Mini kegs make a great adjunct to having big kegs - they are great for transferring beer to take to parties, etc. Just my 2c.

LAGERFRENZY said:
I was down a similar path not so long ago until I realised just how inexpensive kegging (big kegs) can be. A used fridge or freezer can be the chlling unit along with a cheap temp control device. You can start with bronco or party taps to dispense with. Used kegs are good enough for not much coin. And I can almost promise you that once you fill your first keg up you won't want to go back to farking around with bottles. Mini kegs make a great adjunct to having big kegs - they are great for transferring beer to take to parties, etc. Just my 2c.
Thanks for that. I'm keeping an eye out for a cheap freezer to make into a keezer, thought minikegs might be a good stepping stone

Minikegs are fiddly when compared to the real thing. Getting a decent pour out of one is not easy and as such they are not a great introduction to kegging beer.

They are a good way of sharing your beer when you go out. Fill a minikeg with beer that has been properly carbonated in a big keg, just before you leave the house and when you get to your destination use the gas cartridges to push out the beer.

Do yourself a favour and go a couple of big kegs before you start spending big in minikegs. They are more of an accessory, rather than the main tool.

I use "party" kegs - 9.5l & 12l as a set for a 23 l brew. Although not cheap compared to 19l kegs you can just put one in the fridge, they are light weight thus easy to handle clean etc. In addition they are easy to set up for taking to parties, camping etc. You could also start with a picnic tap and sodastream co2 set up but a large co2 bottle would be the best option for home.
These would be a good start and if resold you can get most of your money back as they are hard to find secondhand.

Thanks all, you've given me a lot to think about
Having a look at it last night, I should be able to fit a small keg fridge or keezer on the patio so might start trawling Gumtree for a project.

I am thinking of trying the mini kegs, always casked never kegged.
1st question I have noticed that the mini kegs with the 30 psi gauge is more expensive than the 60 psi gauge. Why is this?
2nd question can I naturally carb a mini keg?

Thanks for that Coalminer, it has a double quick connector with the relief valve, all I need to know now is why there is a $7.54 difference between the 60 psi gauge and the 30 psi gauge and why the 30 psi gauge is the dearer, wouldn't be just because it is smaller surely?

Might due to sale volumes ( probably sell heaps more of 60psi) or the 30psi has " better" parts as for accuracy in the lower range?

Not sure but I think the mini-kegs are only rated to 30psi (ie the relief valves are 30psi)

edit: kegs rated to 60 psi. relief valves set at 30 psi

Same kegs, same everything apart from a price for the keg with the smaller regulator dearer than the same set up with the larger regulator, just seems so odd.

fdsaasdf said:

Where can you get 3 litre PET bottle(s)? I haven't seen one for 10 years or more (apart from the one that I keep for yeast cultures)

Latest posts

Back