Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rncw said:
I wanted to throw it out there to everyone that has these kegs to figure out if it's a problem that warrants a different cleaning method, a replacement keg or a refund and forget the kegs altogether.

Don't really want to dick around with returns and/or replacements if there's an easy solution out there.
I finally found a post in which Mardoo reported metallic tastes in beer that had been in his mini kegs for a week or more. Post 112:

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/93045-mini-keg-discussion-mods-show-off-dedicated-thread/page-6

I think he use Tricleanium and other products - might be worth a PM to him to see if it was resolved.

Seemed to be. I cleaned out the kegs and taps with tricleanium, pbw and Starsan, with both cold long soaks and and hour at 60C for the tricleanium and pbw. I haven't yet had the problem again. I wanted to test with a hefe I have on tap, but couldn't resolve the carb level and pouring issues. I need to get flow control taps before I can test with that beer, but by then it will be long gone.

Mardoo... Unless you are keen on forking out for flow control taps, have a look at the shank flow restrictors from keg king.

They were around $30 from memory, and as a plus they give the tap a little extra horizontal reach.

Got my reg replaced and worked fine for one time, now it seems to be playing up. When I turn the dial it jumps from 5psi to 10psi and so on. Also after 3-4 pours after turning to off and back on the dial will not move as if the bulb is empty but then I unscrew it and it pours out Co2 :(

One time? Was it one session (a full keg) or one CO2 bulb?

Or only the first ever pressurisation?

Zorco said:
One time? Was it one session (a full keg) or one CO2 bulb?

Or only the first ever pressurisation?
I transferred already carbed beer from my keg. First session of using it no issue, dial moved smoothly. For second session it started to just jump when turning the dial, Still worked for first 3 pours. Usually I turn the dial off after each pour, The next pour the dial did not move at all and I though I must have had a leak and that the bulb was empty as I just added a poppet spring to the tap.
The bulb was this pretty full.

Try screwing the bulb in tighter, caught me out the first time as it wasn't fully penetrating the cap.

I want to eliminate the bulb as a cause of problems...

Does anyone with a soda stream configuration have this issue?

It would be a huge help to know. That's why I'm buying one. I never intended to, but with so many problems we need answers

Zorco said:
I want to eliminate the bulb as a cause of problems...

Does anyone with a soda stream configuration have this issue?

It would be a huge help to know. That's why I'm buying one. I never intended to, but with so many problems we need answers
I've had the issue with both bulbs and soda stream bottles.
Didn't get mine in the BB. Got it from IKegger but it's the same regulator.

Zorco said:
It just occurred to me to ask, does anyone who adapted a sodastream cylinder to the regulator have this issue?
Yes, I attached a soda stream bottle after issue with the bulbs. I managed to dispense one keg before the issue reoccured with the sodastream bottle attached

I only used my regulator for the second time on the weekend and it's doing similarly - it sometimes goes up to 5PSI then basically stops and goes back to zero.

Still full CO2 bulb.

Have you guys been sending them back to Mark?

nosco said:
Has anyone tried taking a mini keg to a byo eatery?
Not yet but in the past I've seen people at BYO places with commercial 5L mini kegs. These mini kegs are pretty slick so shouldn't be a problem, maybe at real upmarket places but they tend to be licensed anyway.

Mardoo said:
Seemed to be. I cleaned out the kegs and taps with tricleanium, pbw and Starsan, with both cold long soaks and and hour at 60C for the tricleanium and pbw. I haven't yet had the problem again. I wanted to test with a hefe I have on tap, but couldn't resolve the carb level and pouring issues. I need to get flow control taps before I can test with that beer, but by then it will be long gone.
Just cleaned out one that I still had a litre in since Xmas. Rubbed the inside with paper and it came out black. Silicone hose looked like attached picture. Like it's picked up metallics and beer stain. Did the overnight pbw wash and starsan. Might give it a hit with tricleanium tonight and then a high conc starsan to see how it goes.
Looks like short term ok but long term storage might not be?
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1488434043.477609.jpg

nosco said:
Has anyone tried taking a mini keg to a byo eatery?
Yes our local eatery, but then you can do anything you like in Kin Kin.

gezzanet said:
Just cleaned out one that I still had a litre in since Xmas. Rubbed the inside with paper and it came out black. Silicone hose looked like attached picture. Like it's picked up metallics and beer stain. Did the overnight pbw wash and starsan. Might give it a hit with tricleanium tonight and then a high conc starsan to see how it goes.
attachicon.gif
Wow I've had some red ale in a keg since before Xmas it's now in the keg fridge on tap. Might have to pour it and see what's it's like. It's only had 4 beers out of it because I took it to work and had the same beer in big kegs that I drank first.

What was the beer style? Looks rather dark!

Seems strange that it would do that. I have carbed and drank from growlers months later with no issue. Surely the metal isn't of that low quality.

Actually an APA. Black was from keg I think. Possibly manufacturing? Anyway. I'll clean it up and see how it goes

gezzanet said:
attachicon.gif
Personally I think it's the silicone hose. There's no way I would keg a beer in a 19lt keg and drop a bit of silicone hose in there for two months.

Latest posts

Back