Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone mind sharing some dimensions so I can plan for the next bulk buy?

Need to know how big an esky I'll need to put in 2 x 5L, I'm planning on mounting 2 taps in the side of the esky with the lid closed, so would need to be relatively high for an esky.

Mainly need to know how high the assembly is with the double ball lock, reg, plastic disconnects (without tap)

Cheers!

did anyone come up with a solution for the regulators with issues (apart from the suggestion of unscrewing the bulb a bit which did nothing for me)

I still have one dodgy/useless regulator from the two I bought last bulk buy

Nullnvoid said:
Can you lie these bad boys down in the fridge and still use them? Or do they need to be upright?
Should be upright.

SBOB said:
did anyone come up with a solution for the regulators with issues (apart from the suggestion of unscrewing the bulb a bit which did nothing for me)

I thought I fixed mine by unscrewing the bulb a little as mentioned earlier in the thread but it only worked that once. I've given up on it. I've wasted to many bulbs on the f$*ker hoping it would work.

SBOB said:

That Barleywine I put aside for you is due to be posted. I'll send you one of my working regulators mate, just to see how it goes. If it works well, then I'll sort something out with Mark from ATHB!

This will definitely be sorted.

Zorco said:
That Barleywine I put aside for you is due to be posted. I'll send you one of my working regulators mate, just to see how it goes. If it works well, then I'll sort something out with Mark from ATHB!

This will definitely be sorted.
I already have one working one (i bought 2 in the last BB), so no need to send me one of yours..
I've emailed Mark to chase it up, as my last email to him was back in December.

And im not alone with regards to non-working ones, so wouldnt seem fair for you to send yours to me while someone like Kingy also has a non-working one.

hey guys sorry been quiet on here have had too many other things to sort out.

SBOB said:

how many other people are having the same issue, would be nice to get a ruff number on how many faulty Regulators there were in the bulk buy, so i can address the issue properly with the manufacture

Nullnvoid said:
Can you lie these bad boys down in the fridge and still use them? Or do they need to be upright?
you can lie them down when not being used just keep the regulator disconnected, then stand upright when you want to use then, laying them down might get beer into the regulator which isnt going to be healthy, and also wont get great use of the dip-tube unless the kegs on an angle

You can get away with 4/5 of it. Add a SS nut to weight down the end of your dip tube, but you can't get it all out. Also you can't use your PVR when it's lying down.

All Things Homebrew said:
how many other people are having the same issue, would be nice to get a ruff number on how many faulty Regulators there were in the bulk buy, so i can address the issue properly with the manufacture
not 100% sure but there have been a few posts by others, though I assumed they would have chased it up with you directly like i did

thanks for responding to my email, hopefully the replacement will be all good. Can't fault the support/service from you.

Kingy said:
I thought I fixed mine by unscrewing the bulb a little as mentioned earlier in the thread but it only worked that once. I've given up on it. I've wasted to many bulbs on the f$*ker hoping it would work.
I've attached a barb to mine to enable me to dispense from one keg and carb another corny keg.Saves the bulbs for when I need them.

20161217_152048.jpg

So I stumbled across an old futon bed frame and decided I would make a mini bar for my kegs...

Using the existing Willow Esky (fits two 5L minikegs)
20161203_152743.jpg

Triple coat of dark vanish ($20)
20170115_140623.jpg

Not the best brush work ;)
20170115_140653.jpg

Installed 2 cheap Chinese taps from ebay (european style flow control with 60mm shank, which unfortunately doesn't fit on to the Mini Keg tap adaptor).
20170117_211119.jpg

The inner workings (Soda Stream > Adaptor > Mini Reg > SS disconnect > Carbonation Cap with barb > 2 way Gas manifold > Mini Keg).
20170119_213241.jpg,
20170119_215904.jpg

Old Ikea blackboard for kids (mounted upside down :ph34r: ) functions as a back cover, also for marking the event ( M & A is for my brother's wedding - Not sure what to brew yet, wedding in March so I need to get my s**t together soon)
20170125_094718.jpg

Overall I'm pleased with it. But I need help with foaming issues (thanks PeterU for your help mate, I still having found that SS disconnect!)

Attachments

• 20170117_211209.jpg
    20170117_211209.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 63
EalingDrop said:
Overall I'm pleased with it. But I need help with foaming issues (thanks PeterU for your help mate, I still having found that SS disconnect!)
The cheap flow control taps might do it? Have heard some shit about those, however true that is I dunno.

What PSI you dispensing at?

It was ok when the beer was around 4c in the beginning but when we came back 20 minutes later it was downhill from there :lol: , (using the 5L keg).
6 bar (but I was told the dial might be dodgy).

Also, we thought the silicon tube surface isn't very good for beer transfer either.

As for the taps, I dunno either. It doesn't look any better or worst then the Brumby taps I got from the BB :huh: . I'll post some pics later and find out whether I've wasted more $$ on crap bay.

EalingDrop said:
6 bar (but I was told the dial might be dodgy).
Stop trying to make shiny things go bang! :angry:

6 bar, 600kpa, are you trying to kill someone?!?! :(

80-90kpa probably less for these little beauties.

start with real low pressure flow control wide open then maybe notch it up a lil to get the pour right.

In all seriousness these kegs are rated somewhere around 450kpa (zorco and yob would have the exact number) over pressurising is well dangerous, Australia has probably some of the toughest regulations regarding pressure vessel in the world- with good reason.
Be safe
Enjoy beer.

Can't over pressurise with the spear/head. I tried. The PRV did its job.

Awesome EarlingDrop, really impressive.

Sorry for the confusion. Just checked the photo (of the dial), it was showing 0.6 Bar NOT 6 Bar.

Zorco, I'm glad you've tested the PVR so we don't have to!

As MJ mentioned, safety is imperative, and I absolutely don't advocate mods that go OTT, especially with 3 year olds around.

To paint a fuller picture, we dialed the gas with the tap open only to control flow, as mentioned when the tap was turned off the guage showed 0.6 bar.

ah cool! Be careful though three year olds have a habit of pulling on tap handles and retreating quietly.... ask me how I know. Any foam issues could be down to the tap being hotter than the beer. (usually worse in summer)

Back