Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all

Having a leak issue with my minikeg reg (the one we got in the bulk buy - photo below). The nut on the side directly opposite the pressure gauge leaks when I screw in a bulb, and by "leak", I mean the bulb empties in about two seconds. Tried tightening it but it doesn't tighten any more, any ideas?

accessories-professional-quality-portable-co2-regulator-1_600x.png

I would say there is a rubber seal missing, should be fairly obvious.

If there's a rubber seal on yours, then there's not on mine.. and that explains everything. Time to find a replacement :(
Cheers Batz

Replacement seal was supplied with the kit, all is well

edit: all is not well, CO2 escapes from the pinholes in the nut itself, adding a ring seal to the thread changed nothing

OK perhaps your talking about the thread sealed with thread tape?

This guy. The nut labelled 1.8K. CO2 gushes out of the pinholes on either side.

f4u4CPW.jpg

mtb said:
Hi all

Having a leak issue with my minikeg reg (the one we got in the bulk buy - photo below). The nut on the side directly opposite the pressure gauge leaks when I screw in a bulb, and by "leak", I mean the bulb empties in about two seconds. Tried tightening it but it doesn't tighten any more, any ideas?

accessories-professional-quality-portable-co2-regulator-1_600x.png
Are you taking about a small plug that from memory has 1.5K (could be another number) stamped on it? When I pulled my dud one apart it looked like a over pressure safety relief valve. When you remove the plug there should be a little burst disc behind it. It could be missing

Got it in one bevan.. that disc is burst. Strange because I only ever use it to dispense, but then again, I have idiot friends who like to bugger about with my gauges.
Probably not a warranty job since it's "self-inflicted", what are my options?

Wow, it would take a lot of pressure (I'm assuming that 1.8K(1800) is psi because the gauge is in psi) to burst it. When the next BB happens I'm getting another minireg so you can have the burst disc out of my dud one if I can't get it to work.

I'd say it's 1800kPa because that's approx 260psi. Maybe I connected it to a force carbing keg at one point (I brew, keg and shitpost on AHB lots after a few brews)

edit: hold on.. I sure as hell don't force carb at 260psi either. I think the pressure safety disc thing broke a little prematurely.

An obvious option is to manually seal the relief valve, but in accordance with AHB forum rules I won't discuss that further here. It would also introduce some tangible danger when using the regulator so I definitely won't be doing that while we search for a permanent solution.

one of my first ones did something similar and was replaced.

Sent an inquiry via ATHB's website, fingers crossed.

Did you screw the bulb on upside down?Maybe liquid CO2 in regulator?

Lyrebird_Cycles

Posted Today, 06:24 PM

TJP said:
What is the reason people say getting liquid co2 into a reg can kill it.
I believe that the problem is actually with the equipment downstream of the regulator. If the regulator is allowed to pass liquid CO2 and the liquid then vaporises it will produce high pressure gas. This gas is unregulated and may exceed the pressure rating of the equipment.

As an example, if the regulator allowed half the sodastream cylinder to empty into a 4 litre minikeg in your fridge, the vaporised gas would hit a pressure of nearly 3 MPa (about 400 PSI in Septic units). You'd want to know the PRV was working.

mtb said:
Sent an inquiry via ATHB's website, fingers crossed.
..and 40min later I receive a reply from Mark arranging a replacement & return of the faulty reg. Can't speak highly enough of these guys.

Mine did this the first time too, but it was a combination of not screwing the bulb in fast enough or hard enough and having it connected to the mini keg when I did it.

I have since made sure I do it off the keg (with the regulator turned off/down to minimum) and screw the bulb in fast and fully.

Mine seems to work now..

They are made for use with the bulb & can't be used with pressure over 35psi (or 32 can't remember but it's somewhere) but shouldn't break, that's what the pressure relief valve is there for.

Maybe give that a go before sending back.

Bones the problem is that the "pressure relief valve" is just a solid disc which appears to be designed to puncture in the event of over-pressure. Mine burst prematurely so the regulator now simply vents the bulb through the perforated disc

Yob said:
if you tare the keg on the scales, you can VERY accurately measure how full it is..

its really not that hard a process even without scales... you can just look in the top
My kegs all have their tare weight written on them, I keep a set of analogue scales under each of my kegs in the keezer, offset the tare before dropping a keg on and I'm done.

Latest posts

Back