Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you carb up your 19lt corney it quite OK to remove the lid for a short period for whatever reason. What's the differance with a mini keg?

Batz said:
If you carb up your 19lt corney it quite OK to remove the lid for a short period for whatever reason.
How else are you supposed to keg hop? So has any one keg hopped one of these bad boys yet?

Bridges said:
How else are you supposed to keg hop? So has any one keg hopped one of these bad boys yet?
Exactly Bridges, now keg hop a mini? Why not? Perhaps some sort of small tea ball or hop bag.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1481868292.306397.jpg
Best way of transferring!

What do you find the full weight to be, omitting the keg weight. Oh and is that a 5lt?

Batz

I'd love if Lyrebird_Cycles or someone with equivalent know-how could chime in on this. Is a material amount of carbonation lost from the beer when transferring carbed beer to a minikeg, screwing on the cap, allowing the CO2 to equilibrate and re-pressurise the headspace, then unscrewing the lid (purging the CO2 from the headspace) and attaching a ball lock head?

If it's a matter of limiting headspace to equilibrate with, I guess the aim is to fill as close to the neck as possible (while allowing room for the dip tube).
Obviously there'd be some loss, but maybe not enough to cause concern.

mtb said:
I'd love if Lyrebird_Cycles or someone with equivalent know-how could chime in on this. Is a material amount of carbonation lost from the beer when transferring carbed beer to a minikeg, screwing on the cap, allowing the CO2 to equilibrate and re-pressurise the headspace, then unscrewing the lid (purging the CO2 from the headspace) and attaching a ball lock head?

If it's a matter of limiting headspace to equilibrate with, I guess the aim is to fill as close to the neck as possible (while allowing room for the dip tube).
Obviously there'd be some loss, but maybe not enough to cause concern.
I'm sure there are all sorts of equations for this. Being a dumb arse fitter and brewer, I like to try it and see the results myself.
The proof is in the pudding, an old saying but one I believe in.

Batz

I've filled mine with a pilsner and capped it and stored in fridge for a week then took it out and put the head on and drank it and noticed no loss in carbonation. I've stored my 2 litre a few weeks this way and noticed no difference either. You don't even need the gas to serve if your gunna drink it all that arvo. Just use it like a big growler.
I've woke up in the morning and noticed a schooner of beer sitting in the fridge from the night before and I still drink it but.

Kingy said:
I've filled mine with a pilsner and capped it and stored in fridge for a week then took it out and put the head on and drank it and noticed no loss in carbonation. I've stored my 2 litre a few weeks this way and noticed no difference either. You don't even need the gas to serve if your gunna drink it all that arvo. Just use it like a big growler.
I've woke up in the morning and noticed a schooner of beer sitting in the fridge from the night before and I still drink it but.

You sure Kingy? Really that does not work out.

MHDEqns.png

I've keg hopped with the mini. Threw in a handful (maybe 20g) of Cascade pellets as I was filling it. I attached my usual mesh filter to the dip tube and pressurised. Gave it a good shake and popped it in a cooler bag in the boot of the car. It was served about 4 hours later and was delicious. It was gone in no time. The combo of the mesh filter and dip tube ended up picking up gas a bit early. There was about 0.5l of hop and beer left in the keg, but no easy way of separating the two. If I had a tea strainer, I could have poured the rest through it to get a hoppy overload.

Hi gang,
I'm starting to put together and learn how these things work, after the recent MKIII bb. Does anyone use a one way check valve with the regulator?
does the regulator have one built in?
I currently bottle my beer, no experience with kegging

So Mark came through with the replacement regulator...even included a return post bag to send the other one back

But, considering how lucky I am... This ones doing the same thing
Barely flowing with a brand new co2 cartridge and nothing on the outlet (so not a QD problem)

Anyone else had this issue?

Something like that happened for me today. The pressure didn't rise immediately but I accidentally left the dial high and when I returned the pressure was right up there. I don't think this is a hardware fault anymore and I'm looking at the physics of the CO2 bulb. It is like the gas becomes gas very slowly, or that the barb doesn't pierce the metal sufficiently.

Maybe try this: screw in the build much harder. Compress that seal and drive the barb past the metal face of the bulb.

I think the regulators are the problem with these things, mine both work but take time to raise/lower the pressure. It does not show on the gauge for a while, and both seem somewhat different. I find them OK just the same, it took me all of 5 minutes to work them out.

I would be interested in obtaining a returned unit so I could pull it down and post pictures here on how to repair them. I have asked be not received a reply as yet.

Hope you have more luck with your next one. :p

Batz

Batz said:
I think the regulators are the problem with these things, mine both work but take time to raise/lower the pressure. It does not show on the gauge for a while, and both seem somewhat different. I find them OK just the same, it took me all of 5 minutes to work them out.

I would be interested in obtaining a returned unit so I could pull it down and post pictures here on how to repair them. I have asked be not received a reply as yet.

Hope you have more luck with your next one. :p

Batz
Well depending on the answer from Mark, I might volunteer up this one for you ;)

I've asked them to test out the one I sent back to see whether they can determine what the issue is (me or the regulator)..

Would the tear down be destructive? I have one that I'd be prepared to send you for this exercise

Zorco said:
Maybe try this: screw in the build much harder. Compress that seal and drive the barb past the metal face of the bulb.
To be honest, I couldn't screw it in any harder if I tried...well,maybe with some vice grips...

Back