Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zorco said:
Would the tear down be destructive? I have one that I'd be prepared to send you for this exercise
Well possibly, that why I want one that's of little use to anyone. Given there are no overhaul kits it's a bit of 'suck it and see'

SBOB, when you turn the regulator up, do you give it sometime to adjust? I find it takes a little time for one of mine to come up to pressure, it's not the gauge but the regulator itself. I have an idea what this is.... maybe.

Just try turning it up, (disconnect off) and wait. Have a beer perhaps? :p I'll like to know if it works after a couple of minutes.

Batz said:
Just try turning it up, (disconnect off) and wait. Have a beer perhaps? :p I'll like to know if it works after a couple of minutes.
I'm testing without a disconnect attached, so it's just regulator and bulb... If I cover the outlet with my finger, the pressure rises, but the flow rate is incredibly low.. Like a grandma with emphysema...

I had a regulator that worked initially, but then was very hard to get anything out of it. I pulled it apart and gave it a clean and now it seems to be working (yet to try it on a keg). If you gently remove the top decal of the knob this allows you to remove a small set screw that acts as a stop for the knob, turn the knob further off until comes off. This gets you access to a spring and plunger that actuate's the valve. To remove the valve you use circlip pliers to turn the gas bulb piercing bit (on the other end) out and the valve then falls out. The valve can then be pulled apart. Sadly I didn't take any photos and now have a bulb attached that needs using.

Great posts chaps, this thread is proving to be useful for some of the issues I've had with mine. :unsure:

On another note.
I'm the process of building a mini bar, and here's a pic of the 'internals'

Sodastream + Adaptor + Mini reg + 2 gas line split.
Testing with WATER the regulator is able to keep BOTH at set and forget pressure (8psi).

gallery_39448_1424_85906.jpg

gallery_39448_1424_422175.jpg

EalingDrop said:
Great posts chaps, this thread is proving to be useful for some of the issues I've had with mine. :unsure:

On another note.
I'm the process of building a mini bar, and here's a pic of the 'internals'

Sodastream + Adaptor + Mini reg + 2 gas line split.
Testing with WATER the regulator is able to keep BOTH at set and forget pressure (8psi).

gallery_39448_1424_85906.jpg

gallery_39448_1424_422175.jpg
One reg. two kegs, nice idea.

Seem to have trouble with Reg keep a constant PSI.

Works fine with WATER. Pulled pint after pint with no trouble, but with beer (naturally carbed in the keg) I can't seem to get it to stabalise.
Spent all arvo 'baby sitting' the Keg as had to adjust through PRV and dialing the knob constantly.

Any explanations or solutions would be great.

PS. I used the 16g Co2 soda chargers

mtb said:
I'd love if Lyrebird_Cycles or someone with equivalent know-how could chime in on this. Is a material amount of carbonation lost from the beer when transferring carbed beer to a minikeg, screwing on the cap, allowing the CO2 to equilibrate and re-pressurise the headspace, then unscrewing the lid (purging the CO2 from the headspace) and attaching a ball lock head?
Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: The amount lost will depend on the ratio of headspace to beer volume. It's not hard to work out if you already know your beer CO2 level in g/l, just figure the headspace will be 2 g/l at STP and adjust for equilibrium pressure (remembering to use absolute pressure, not gauge)

Will it make enough difference for you to notice? I dunno.

EalingDrop said:
Seem to have trouble with Reg keep a constant PSI.

Works fine with WATER. Pulled pint after pint with no trouble, but with beer (naturally carbed in the keg) I can't seem to get it to stabalise.
Spent all arvo 'baby sitting' the Keg as had to adjust through PRV and dialing the knob constantly.

Any explanations or solutions would be great.
I've noticed the same thing, I think it's a combination of the regulator response being very slow and the minikeg eventually reaching the equilibrium pressure of the beer if you set the regulator to a value lower than that.

Bridges said:
How else are you supposed to keg hop? So has any one keg hopped one of these bad boys yet?
Yep. Keg hopped with 5 g of Nelson Sauvin pellets in a bag as a trial. Worked well flavourwise but I found the hop particles in the beer a little distracting. Trying it again tomorrow with some flowers.

Yob said:
Slaughterhaus of course ;)
Winery I used to run has Slaughterhouse Paddock as a brand. Beer and wine are in separate Trademark classes (Class 32 and Class 33 respectively) so you are probably OK but it might be best to ask a lawyer first if this becomes a commercial enterprise.

Batz said:
What do you find the full weight to be, omitting the keg weight. Oh and is that a 5lt?

Batz
1 litre of water weighs 1kg at sea level. Beer weight changes with the gravity. I would guess a litre of 1.010 gravity beer would weigh 1.01kg. Just a guess though. :unsure:

N3MI said:
1 litre of water weighs 1kg at sea level. Beer weight changes with the gravity. I would guess a litre of 1.010 gravity beer would weigh 1.01kg. Just a guess though. :unsure:
I know that but the 5lt kegs don't hold 5lts. More like 4.7lt plus the weight of the empty keg.
Bevans looks more like a 2lt anyway.

Batz said:
I know that but the 5lt kegs don't hold 5lts. More like 4.7lt plus the weight of the empty keg.
Bevans looks more like a 2lt anyway.
FWIW My 5l mini keg holds a touch over 5 litres of liquid at the the weld line.

N3MI said:
FWIW My 5l mini keg holds a touch over 5 litres of liquid at the the weld line.
Hell! I might just check my other one. I admit that I did use a calibrated jug and not scales.

Latest posts

Back