Mini Keg Bulk Buy MKIV

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably going to be a continuation of this thread

It may be 100 pages long by then but that's ok.
Part of brewing, learn your thread skimming skills. :chug:

That's a good point actually.. maybe once the EOI process is done and dusted, we ask a mod to change the title to say EOI. Then start the real bulk buy thread.
This is Hotdog's baby though so I'll let him call those shots

I hope you can get it past the $25k bench mark set by the last mini-keg bulk buy. :beerbang:

I think this time participants will simply be invited into the PM based on their EOI. There they will have direct access to the secure spreadsheet.

This main thread will stay as it is with new people coming into the PM based on posting here in the public thread.

When the PM and spreadsheet is up and running this bulk buy should just about run itself.

EOI for me also. I'll wait to see final pricing before deciding what to get

Liam_snorkel said:
Am I right in assuming the spear/head unit for 5L won't fit a 2L?
bevan said:
It's the same head, you just need to change the silicon hose length between them. It's pretty easy to change the hose, ATHB supplied enough to cover this. Though I ended up getting enough heads to cover all my mini kegs.
Zorco said:
I use my heads on my 5L mainly and occasionally on the 2L small fellas. The silicone hose curls up in the base. An insignificant increase in wastage I find.
Exactly what I wanted to hear!

Zorco said:
By the accounts of the pyrex and my best estimate of the height in the can: 1.7L mate.
Cheers Zorco.

I'll say a 2lt plus head for me.

OneEye said:
No worries mate. This EOI phase is good because we can inform Mark with prospective orders and in turn he can select pricing with some confidence of volume. Hopefully less for us.

Also just to help with some expectations, I don't think FOREX is as favourable for us Aussies as it was for the MKII bulk buy. Just keep that in mind

I'll be in for -

1 x 5L combo
1 x 2L spare keg

Depending on funds, i may might add extras when the bb kicks off.

Is it possible to attach any low profile heads to the 5L kegs ? My fridge is only 30cm high. at 270mm I can chill the kegs in the fridge, but I'd like to know if I can attach beer lines some how.

Looking at the earlier photo it looked like I'd need about 40cm to attach lines, unless some kind of low profile coupler could be added.

Either way I should be good to go with a couple of the 5L kegs

I'm not promoting it but iKegger have black flat head attached with a picnic tap might work for you

Is there a particular method for naturally carbonating these kegs? Does the air need to be purged like regular kegs? Couldn't find too much info on this.

Chum84 said:
Is there a particular method for naturally carbonating these kegs? Does the air need to be purged like regular kegs? Couldn't find too much info on this.
Plenty info about, but it might help to consider keg practice irrespective of it being a mini-keg or not. In fact, with the ball lock heads we are getting these mini kegs are almost the same as any other.

I certainly purge with CO2 before transfer. I force carbonate my beers. I guess you mean by natural carbonation using yeast and priming sugar to carbonate in the keg? that's very possible as well.

Zorco said:
Plenty info about, but it might help to consider keg practice irrespective of it being a mini-keg or not. In fact, with the ball lock heads we are getting these mini kegs are almost the same as any other.

I certainly purge with CO2 before transfer. I force carbonate my beers. I guess you mean by natural carbonation using yeast and priming sugar to carbonate in the keg? that's very possible as well.
I assume you've got a CO2 canister/bottle? I don't have any equipment and would somehow have to rely on using the CO2 bulbs and the head that comes with the mini keg to try and purge.

Latest posts

Back