Mini Keg Bulk Buy MKIV

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep an eye out for sodastream co2 bottle going a bit cheaper. I got one for $35 plus $20 for the adapter. Only $20 for a refil. The mini keg regulator come with an adapter to use with the SS bottle.

Chum84 said:
I assume you've got a CO2 canister/bottle? I don't have any equipment and would somehow have to rely on using the CO2 bulbs and the head that comes with the mini keg to try and purge.
I certainly do mate. I have an account with BOC and get the 10 kg bottles. around $60 per swap.. Works well for me. and the quarterly bottle hire charge is not bad.

The soda stream bottle is another way to tackle it. More expensive but a lot better than bulbs.

And if at all..... There are other options too which I, personally, prefer.

nosco said:
Keep an eye out for sodastream co2 bottle going a bit cheaper. I got one for $35 plus $20 for the adapter. Only $20 for a refil. The mini keg regulator come with an adapter to use with the SS bottle.
Link to the adapter?

Chum84 said:
I assume you've got a CO2 canister/bottle? I don't have any equipment and would somehow have to rely on using the CO2 bulbs and the head that comes with the mini keg to try and purge.
No really need to worry about purging the mini keg if you are naturally carbing mate. Just treat it as if it is a bottle. I did one with 15 grams of dextrose mixed in a bit of water. Try to eliminate getting too much oxygen in with the beer by syphoning it in. As the keg starts carbonating it transfers C02 into the headspace. Only done it the once and it turned out fine. I'd maybe add an extra 5 grams of dextrose to get my preferred amount of carbonation.

Yeah cool thanks. I do t have room for a keeper in the apartment and I'll be damned if I have to clean loads of bottles again.

malt junkie said:
yep got 2 of those, neither fit the mini reg and hence my request for link to one that does :)
Oops again. Sorry all i had assumed by looking at the pics someone else had posted (with the 2 output manifold) that it was possible. Just javnt had a chance to follow it up and try it. Ill stop giving advice then
So is that a different reg on the Sodastream bottle then?

Difference in design in that the Hog Spear Tap System does not appear to have a beer out post, rather opting for a fixed tap solution. Many of us run a length of line with a bronco or pluto tap to get a smoother pour. The rest of their components look to be the same as the BB ones. A few of us have purchased their neoprene jackets and they fit the BB 5 litre kegs like a glove.

The Mini Regulators look to be exactly the same. The last lot had a fair few failures in this component and our BB supplier Mark has been a champion for promptly replacing any faulty components.

Thanks LAGERFRENZY. So in theory if I needed one of these sooner than the BB I could get this one with the picnic tap and then later I could just get the head unit from the bulk buy and that would be compatible?

In theory I suspect that the kegs are made to the same specs and that the head units have the same dimensions and thread types. It would still be some sort od gamble though. You woukd still have bought a working mini hpkeg system if they aren't compatible.

they do give the opening specs, someone might like to get the calipers out to check for you?

hog spear & kat tap:
Keg Fitting Thread: 33.5mm Dia
Screw Pitch: 1.5mm

mini keg:
Threaded opening 31.5mm ID x 39mm OD

so.. how long until we kick things off, Feb? I feel like spending some money on shiny stuff :icon_drool2:

LAGERFRENZY said:
Difference in design in that the Hog Spear Tap System does not appear to have a beer out post, rather opting for a fixed tap solution. Many of us run a length of line with a bronco or pluto tap to get a smoother pour. The rest of their components look to be the same as the BB ones. A few of us have purchased their neoprene jackets and they fit the BB 5 litre kegs like a glove.

The Mini Regulators look to be exactly the same. The last lot had a fair few failures in this component and our BB supplier Mark has been a champion for promptly replacing any faulty components.
They're doing a dual ball lock post spear, see thread :) pending update on prices on these...

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/93914-beerkat-kegs-growlers/

Latest posts

Back