Millmaster Gear Guard Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Henno you bring one of those elbows slappers (fisho speak for big fish for the un-edu-mecated) that you rave on about and it's a deal! ;)
:icon_offtopic:
I have only ever heard big whiting ever referred to as elbow slappers. I can bring one of them if you want. Coral trout and red emperor are overrated really ;)

more rubbish caught in a local creek
codprecleaned.jpg
:icon_offtopic:

I have only ever heard big whiting ever referred to as elbow slappers. I can bring one of them if you want. Coral trout and red emperor are overrated really
more rubbish caught in a local creek
View attachment 30407

Henno I don't have the words to describe how much I hate you right now, rubbish my big fat hairy ass... <_< :lol: ;)

Hell bring all 3 Henno and I'll do me special fish in a bag for ya and the little lady!

Mine also has the driven roller a few mm lower than the adjustment roller:

Also, it could do with a couple of extra holes on the short sides.

And mine was one of the earlier batches - I pre-ordered it a few months before it came out.

It was a bit of a tight fit putting the guard in too, with the edges of the folded down bit pressing against the sides.

I also have to say I appreciate the effort you're putting in this -- thank you :beerbang:
Rob.

Ok Guys, give this one a crack. after 4 attempts today I might have it sorted.

The thing is to try and get enough room around the adjustment gear to make it "Universal" enough without having too much gap.

also a few minor changes that were picked up or I tweaked again:

- fixed the mounting holes that were2mm offcentre reVox picked up

- added the extra mounting holes

- added another 5mm to the non geared side to cover the unknurled part of the roller

- moved the sides of the folded edges in 2mm making it not so much of a tight fit.

I will hold off for another 24hrs ordering to get feedback (already cleared with the Sheet Metal mob and prices will remain same).

Thanks for the input.

Sully

EDIT: Thanks to the guys that have paid so quickly. I think more than half have already contacted me saying they have paid.

View attachment Gear_Guard.pdf

Mine also has the driven roller a few mm lower than the adjustment roller:

Also, it could do with a couple of extra holes on the short sides.

And mine was one of the earlier batches - I pre-ordered it a few months before it came out.

It was a bit of a tight fit putting the guard in too, with the edges of the folded down bit pressing against the sides.

I also have to say I appreciate the effort you're putting in this -- thank you :beerbang:
Rob.
You will notice as the gap is closed between the rollers the second non shaft driven roller moves up and forward.This is because its designed on a eccentric cam. All MM mills do this. You need to find a average milling gap and design the guard close to that.
GB

Ok Guys, give this one a crack. after 4 attempts today I might have it sorted.

The thing is to try and get enough room around the adjustment gear to make it "Universal" enough without having too much gap.

also a few minor changes that were picked up or I tweaked again:

- fixed the mounting holes that were2mm offcentre reVox picked up

- added the extra mounting holes

- added another 5mm to the non geared side to cover the unknurled part of the roller

- moved the sides of the folded edges in 2mm making it not so much of a tight fit.

I will hold off for another 24hrs ordering to get feedback (already cleared with the Sheet Metal mob and prices will remain same).

Thanks for the input.

Sully

EDIT: Thanks to the guys that have paid so quickly. I think more than half have already contacted me saying they have paid.
Hey Sully I just tried the new template with no scaling and it hits the rollers by (estimated 2mm) .Have I printed it wrong?
GB

The holes are in the right spot now :) Laterally it seemed fine, I think It'd fit my mill perfectly if the blue d = 9.5mm and the red e = 5mm.

gear.JPG

Hey Sully I just tried the new template with no scaling and it hits the rollers by (estimated 2mm) .Have I printed it wrong?
GB

same here.

Did you use paper or put it on cardboard? need to allow for the thickness of the plate and it will sit a bit higher. paper is a bitch to get it to sit right. I am just doing it in cardboard leave it with me.

Cheers

Used paper here... could be a big part of it :)

Can some of you confirm that

- The rollers on your mill are 75mm from the centre line to outermost edge of the plate
- The plate as you see it on the pdf file is looking from top and the shaft is on the botttom right side
- The dimesions from the top of each roller to the top of the Aluminium side plate. I am getting 11mm for the fixed roller and 9mm for the adjustable.

Cheers

- The rollers on your mill are 75mm from the centre line to outermost edge of the plate
- The plate as you see it on the pdf file is looking from top and the shaft is on the botttom right side
- The dimesions from the top of each roller to the top of the Aluminium side plate. I am getting 11mm for the fixed roller and 9mm for the adjustable.

Cheers
75 mm centre, shaft roller 9mm from top, adjustable 7mm. orientated as mentioned .Looks like they are different specs.
GB

Cheers

-confirmed
-confirmed
- I get 9.5mm and 5mm as I posted earlier :\

Righteo, Thanks for the info.... hmmm

Dan, you truly deserve a medal just for sending out all the PMs let alone all the thought you have put into this. My goodness!

I think the following is an answer to the adjustment problem though I am no good at posting diagrams.

Here you go...

As GB mentioned, the adjustor roller's position can vary by a considerable amount both vertically and horizontally. The fixed roller though should be the same for everyone hopefully. So, let's split your guide in half.

Packers can then be used (I'm happy to make them up and send them to you) to adjust for height. This just leaves the horizontal problem...

To fix this, enlarge the mounting holes. This enlargement along with packers will solve all adjustment problems except for at the extreme edges where grain won't get in anyway. The only extra requirement would be spring washers which we can all buy.

I'm not sure whether the above description is clear. If not, we can have a chat on the phone. (You might also have questions like, "What about the gap between the two guides?" etc.)

The main thing though Dan is don't be worried about rushing your order off tomorrow or the next day. This is not a simple problem that you have very bravely taken on. Everyone here is wrapped with what you are doing and if it takes a bit longer to perfect it, (and I'm sure that I speak for all of us), then all of us will be behind you. There is no pressure on you and even if the end result is a major disaster (which it won't be) we are all responsible and can at least have a laugh at ourselves - not you!!!

Spot and thanks,
Pat

P.S. I hope everyone is sending a few extra dollars to you.

. Sully
2. Sammus
3. Glaab
4. Thommo
5. snooze
6. canon1ball
7. Cortez The Killer
8. grantw
9. LexP
10. Brewer Pete
11. cliffo
12. Henno
13. Leiothrix
14. redb
15. geoff_tewierik
16. GMK
17. Stubbie
18. nifty
19. 3G
20. RandyRob
21. Sanders4_
22. dakron - 2 please
23. Pocket Beers
24. Andyd
25. Razz
26. Cummins x 2
27. Skippy
28. Korev
29. sam x2
30. real_beer
31. farside
32. BYB
33. Chappo
34. Sammy
35. Bradsbrew
36. Ross
37. PistolPatch
38. Morrie
39. Benny
40. garrylo
41. KillerRx4
42. Bagnol
43. Janis
44. Bigal
45. Schooey
46. Goat
47. hoohaaman
48. Vitalstatistix
49. PeterF
50. Northwest9
51. OzMick
52. BConnery

Sully - Dropped mine down to 1 for now. cheers for your great effort.

Ross

Back