Millmaster Gear Guard Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, additional holes should be made available for mounting@ sides:
7.jpg

reVox

Thanks reVox. I will look into the gap and holes and post up another template.

Anyone else tried the template?

No problem. I wouldn't be surprised to learn the MM has subtle :ph34r: manufacturing :ph34r: differences from batch to batch. Can Frank or Ross confirm this?

Also, I shot (just ballpark accuracy) my left roller to top of frame:
8.jpg

and right roller (below):
9.jpg

You can see there's about a 2mm-3mm difference in the height of rollers with left lower.

Finally, double check your 4 outer (corner) holes from top to bottom (left to right OK).. at least to my mill, they are approx. 2 mm off - enough to where I would definitely have to drill out the difference (on the guard) in order to get my bolts thru to fit it.
9a.jpg

Cheers,
reVox

No problem. I wouldn't be surprised to learn the MM has subtle :ph34r: manufacturing :ph34r: differences from batch to batch. Can Frank or Ross confirm this?

Also, I shot (just ballpark accuracy) my left roller to top of frame:
View attachment 30388

and right roller (below):
View attachment 30389

You can see there's about a 2mm-3mm difference in the height of rollers with left lower.

Finally, double check your 4 outer (corner) holes from top to bottom (left to right OK).. at least to my mill, they are approx. 2 mm off - enough to where I would definitely have to drill out the difference (on the guard) in order to get my bolts thru to fit it.
View attachment 30390

Cheers,
reVox

Thanks for the info. I can only go off my mill for dimensions so this will help get a more universal fitment.

What I will do is for the fixed roller make the cutout slightly smaller in diameter by 1.0mm, and the one for the adjustable rollers leave the same dimension as that is where most ot the differences come from and room to adjust the gap.

With the mounting holes, mine are pretty spot on 15mm to centre from either edge. how close does yours come?

Cheers

I just did the template too (made sure I printed with no scaling etc) and it's the same as revox's... same fitment issues. I flipped the mill over and its kinda like that on both sides. On one side the roller is too far down, and on the other side its too far up and hits the guard, but the other roller is too far down, and the mounting holes seem to be slightly off too.

With the mounting holes, mine are pretty spot on 15mm to centre from either edge. how close does yours come?

Cheers
I would assume you mean 15cm?

Mine is exactly 152mm centre to centre.. lengthwise they're pretty much dead on for 190mm.

But the 2mm variance on height is definitely there. Verified both sides are 152mm.

I would assume you mean 15cm?

Mine is exactly 152mm centre to centre.. lengthwise they're pretty much dead on for 190mm.

But the 2mm variance on height is definitely there. Verified both sides are 152mm.

Sorry, that was my dumbassed error :rolleyes: . I found what the problem is, overall I made it 180mm instead of 182mm when I redrew it in CAD. That will solve that issue.

The other one I will sort later thisarvo.

Cheers.

As a point of mention, when I built my first MM gear guard using perspex, the sizing to roller was off (similar to what you are tweaking now) where 1 roller had about a 1mm gap (from guard to roller). I figured close enough, and installed it to find 1mm is just wide enough to where grain can still get in and gum your gears.. I'm using the MM hopper and a converted 20L bucket with funnel feeder, fwiw.

Point is, I tore everything apart, constructed another perspex gear guard which was probably a shade on the large side, then used sandpaper to work it into place. You can tell by my pic, it's not flash exact, but does get the job done.
6.jpg
Hope I'm not being pedantic here with all this, rather helping to get it right for most.

Also, I confirmed the MM hopper will work with your guard (no fitting conflicts).

Cheers,
reVox

Looks like there is obviously variations in manufacture. Usual thing when buying chinese stuff as they regularly outsource to other factories of unknown quality control.

If I could suggest, considering that there is obviously varying clearances and tolerences, that I would perfer if the guard plate was a 1mm longer rather than 1mm shorter. Easier to take away than add on ;) . That way I have 2 options, one I grind out what I need with a Dremel to get a nice snug fit or two pack the guard up with cardboard/steel sheet whatever to get the clearence. I would think that this is not going to be a bolt up solution. Not from what Sully has done (great job BTW) but rather from the variations in the product which we are just going to have to accept are there and work around. 2c FWIW.

Chap Chap

Hope I'm not being pedantic here with all this, rather helping to get it right for most.

No thank you very much. I would rather tweak it more now than have 60 unhappy brewers banging down my door. As I said, it fits mine quite nicely, I did bugger up one size admittedly as I had to redraw it in another program, and I was going to do another prototype to make sure anyways before ordering. I have been working on this for a while now and sometimes my memory fails me too (well alot of the time).

Cheers, keep em coming.

I agree with Chappo, a bit longer would be good. That way when I bring my mill and guard down to the case swap Chappo can grind away any excess I have with his dremel. ;)

No thank you very much. I would rather tweak it more now than have 60 unhappy brewers banging down my door. As I said, it fits mine quite nicely, I did bugger up one size admittedly as I had to redraw it in another program, and I was going to do another prototype to make sure anyways before ordering. I have been working on this for a while now and sometimes my memory fails me too (well alot of the time).

Cheers, keep em coming.

Cool, I reckon with Chappo's comments taken on board (a nod to potential manufacturing variations at play), and your tweaking, we should get there no problem.

If you take a look at the pic posted on the MashMaster website:
976185-2.jpg

...you'll see the left roller (or crank roller) is clearly a couple a few mm lower than right, just as my and Sammus' test has confirmed.

Now, if we can get 5 guys or thereabouts to try your revised template, I think we should be onto something for consistency. 5 guys is less than 10% of the order, afterall.. and higher participants better, obviously.

Thanks again Sully (and all) for your hard work. No hurry on this.. let's just get it right.

Also, it might be beneficial for those purchasing to post their gap settings (again, to draw consistencies for manufacturing) ? 1mm here.

Cheers

I agree with Chappo, a bit longer would be good. That way when I bring my mill and guard down to the case swap Chappo can grind away any excess I have with his dremel. ;)

Hehe. This is a good point. I have no dremel for adjustment and I ain't headin' up to QLD for the tweak (travel might supersede the $14.50 purchase price :lol: ).

Stand by peoples, another template to come. Could be that I may have the dud mill here and everyone elses is normal?

Cheers

Sully

Could just be different runs. Or perhaps a minor design revision. When were your mills bought? Mine was with the krudd bonus just recently.

The mill rollers are offset in height, it's been confirmed with Frank. Was a design idea, that may or may not have an impact, but there was thought behind it. I don't know if anyone else has asked about grain in the gear, but I was told the prototype had grain run thru the gears on purpose to make sure they were up to the job.
Just my 2c

Mika - Happy gear guardless, motorised as all mills should be, Millmaster owner

Henno you bring one of those elbows slappers (fisho speak for big fish for the un-edu-mecated) that you rave on about and it's a deal! ;)

Back