Mill - What To Buy, And Why, And Where?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokolbinguy

The Pokolbin Brewhaus and Winery.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking to buy a grain mill and over the years I have noticed people have used many different mills from modified pasta / marga mills through to what looks like sex in a mill, the MillMaster. I realise this has been brought up before but these mills seem to change a bit over time, most have more adjustment these days which seems nice so a "current" comparison would be great.

Initially I thought I would just buy a millmaster from Craftbrewer but after looking at the cost,

Millmaster:
$230AUD just for the mill body + hopper $14 + Handle $32 = $276 + postage,

it got me thinking that maybe a monster mill from the US might be worth looking:

Monster mill:
mill body is $117 + hopper $30 + handle $23 = $170 + postage (not too bad if postage split with another brewer).

Then there is Crankandstein that comes in a few options

Mill body 2S $79, 2A $99, 2D $119 + hopper $40 + handle $25 = $144-184 + postage.

So I guess the ultimate question is where is my money best placed, obviously the Monster and Crankandstein are attractive as they I can save approx $100, thats two sacks of grain!!!

Also if anyone is interested in sharing postage from the USA on a couple of mills let me know. I can get them shipped to my work, re-pack and send around the country easy enough and for low cost from work.

So guys, where should I spend my Xmas present????

Cheers, Pok

P.S. I am in the middle of reading this thread so there might be some answers here http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...55364&st=40

I got a crank, got confused by the postage charges and thought the crank worked out better... works out the same as monter. No big diff between them imo, seeing them both work.

On a side note, mate was having trouble with the gap and what not on his monster mill and rather than open up the fancy hopper casing etc, he just switched to his marga mill, fwiw, did a fantastic job.

Hi Pokolbinguy, for what it is worth I have the Crankandstein 3E mill, I had the marga before and this mill is streets ahead of the marga.
I have made a cabinet and powered it with an old washing machine motor. I think all up I spent around $260

mill1.jpg

mill3.jpg

save your money on the crank handle and just use a drill

The main difference with the mashmaster mini is the S/S rollers and driven second roller. To me if you want s/s it's the choice. Also if you need bling for the brewery for brag rights this is the option.

Otherwise the Monstermill or Crank is the choice, as it saves $100 amd IMHO does the job 100%

As long as you mount the mm mills correctly, I find there is no issues without the second driven roller.

I've got a Monstermill MM2, and with the elec motor works a treat. I normally crush about 16kg a batch, and being able to load up the hopper and walk away is excellent. For specs and details of my home made, 'dodge' hopper and also the elec motor check out the details under mill on my website.

If I was looking again I *may* look further into the mashmaster mini mills, but at the time there was no Mashmaster mini available. But that $100 difference could be spent elsewhere?

QldKev

Thanks for posting this thread, it is something I've been starting to look around at and have been a bit confused.

Cheers,
Shred.

I've got the Mashmaster mini mill, it's awesome, just made a hopper from a stainless steel salad bowl, holds 5kg of grain, run it with a drill, always get 80% efficiency with my braumeister.

Hi Pokolbinguy, for what it is worth I have the Crankandstein 3E mill, I had the marga before and this mill is streets ahead of the marga.
I have made a cabinet and powered it with an old washing machine motor. I think all up I spent around $260

Nice setup there rob.

Millmaster will be coming complete with hopper shortly.

Buy once, buy right, it's seriously the best mill going.

Cheers Ross

The mm2 works a treat as per Qld Kev's specs with the motor mounted. Followed these specs and it makes light work of 11 kg of grain in about 2 minutes. Thanks Kev. :icon_cheers:

My crank 2D is also stainless steel rollers. Fwiw, I think it can crush rocks.
Adjtment is as easy as the mashmaster.

It's got 2 things against it that the mm mill has. It's make in yankland and no gearing. Still bloody cheaper than the mashmaster after souping it up with as rollers, 1/2" drive AND including postage.

Your rate of concern may vary. IMO, mashmaster could work at making a mill that's a little less fancy and still has the essentials and get a bit more of the market. Not all home brewers punish their mills enough to justify the price tag...

I've had the Cranker 3D from before the time mills were freely available in Australia & can honestly say that it's excellent. My only regret is that I never got the ss rollers when I had the chance. :(
I don't care what anyone says. Three rollers will get you a better crush than a two-roller any day of the week & that's a big thing to me.
Waiting, waiting, for negative responses. :D

TP

imagesCAD4HH4X.jpg

I own a Valley Mill as pictured above, many years ago brewers could buy a Valley Mill or a Barley Crusher and that was about it.

Now I've owned this little gem for 10 years and must have crushed many tonnes of grain with it, it still works perfectly. It has just one driven roller and never have I had problems with grain not feeding through as some suggest these types of mills suffer from Unfortunately Valley Mills are no longer made so one day I'll have to replace it but with what I don't know. I liked the old Millmasters but I have yet to look at the new lighter made versions, I have seen many Monster Mills and they do look good for the price.

It will be interesting to see the costing of the new Millmaster complete with hopper.

Batz

Millmaster will be coming complete with hopper shortly.

Buy once, buy right, it's seriously the best mill going.

Cheers Ross

Will this be for the same price Ross? Or will it just be sold as a "package" ???

Had a look at the MM2. They want $122.00 for shipping. Cancels out any benefit of the Aussie $

I think I'll wait until Ross gets the hoppers organised for the Millmaster. I'll be using Aust. Post for delivery though. :p

Yeah but you've gone fancy now with yer Braumeister 75000SDLC and yer herbal cigarettes.

Smoking is bad for you and a waste of money manticle. No smoking allowed here.

Gone fancy? Did you see my new taps?

DSCF2500.JPG

Latest posts

Back