Mill - What To Buy, And Why, And Where?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still have it & its not going anywhere :)

Batz,
Nooo. There were a few others.
I remember agonising somewhat over the Valley Mill vs the JSP Maltmill.
A local brewer had one of Jack's Maltmills & it looked pretty good, but I think I went for the Valley in the end because for the same money I could get the adjustability.

Rowan,
Early on i discovered if I started the rollers with only a small amount of grain that I had no problems then with filling the hopper & milling the whole batch. (I still crank by hand)
My rollers still have plenty of bite.
What did you do with the mill?

Hey Pat,
I have hung up the traps for a couple of years, so I might get a bit more life out of mine :)

Peter

Edit: Ooops slow, very slow at responding

Had a look at the MM2. They want $122.00 for shipping. Cancels out any benefit of the Aussie $

I think I'll wait until Ross gets the hoppers organised for the Millmaster. I'll be using Aust. Post for delivery though. :p

$45 for Shipping. When I got the hopper+base with mine (which is fantastic) I paid about 56$ shipping I believe.

FWIW, the hopper extension is great too.

"International shipments go via USPS International Priority mail for a flat rate of $45 to anywhere that USPS goes. (Canadian customers pay only $30) Our shopping cart can handle international transactions, all you need to do is use the shopping cart on this web page, and shipping charges will be added correctly, as long as you're ordering only one mill. If you would like to order more than one mill, please send us an e-mail for a shipping quote. Generally we can send as much as one MM-3 and one MM-2 mill or less for one shipping charge of $45. Any 2" mill will have to ship by itself, as well as two MM-3 mills. If you are also purchasing a base/or hopper for your mill, the shipping cost may increse substantially. Please see the order info page for detailed information. If there are any taxes or duties due to your government, you will be responsible for them. Its usually easy to call your local customs office, and inquire about duties for imports to your location."

http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/faq.html#q10

I have a MonsterMill MM3-2.0-SS Thing is a weapon!
BUT...
I did have a lot of trouble (re)setting it up. I had it working but in a very agricultural manner and I was getting a lot of belt slip.
When I stripped the board and reset the mill up I had binding issues so I faffed around and couldnt get it to work.
I stripped the whole lot, cleaned up the axles, filed and smoothed the end plates, reset the bronze bushes had some laser cut 12mm aluminium plates made up (do a serach I made a thread and theres pics)
This cost me a further $120 ontop of a top of the line Monstermill + hopper + postage.
Then I spent ??? on pulleys and belt plus a 240V motor

Now the thing would crush gravel given a chance now its all setup properly BUT I do think that a Millmaster might have been a better choice from the get go concidering how much I've spend to get this going. Geared rollers have got to make things easier than a driven+idle roller(s) setup

I wouldnt try driving a mill with a drill. I did once and nearly snapped my wrist (18V Li-Ion hitachi) plus when I dropped the drill the weight of the drill has put a slight bend into the 1/2" drive shaft. Now it still works fine but with the pulley set up you can definately see the effect of that slight bend. One day I might get a new roller turned up for it but for now I'm a happy camper.

page 25 of this:

Mill

I've had one of these for a while, $189 including hopper, can't lose and its already set up for a drill.

Has anyone had any experience with These?

I've got one... Isn't hard to put a cutoff bolt in to it and attach a drill. However it munches the grain and being no expert on the mash, I'm not sure if this is the preferred outcome. I do seem to manage 70%ish conversion? The grist is fairly powderlike but doesn't seem to clog the old slot stlye copper tube drain thingo. I did dodgy up a cut-out 4 L icecream container (or pottle for the NZ-ers) to catch the flying bits... I am yet to try and dodgy up a 10L bucket so I don't have to empty every 30secs or so. Need to dodgy up a bigger hopper too!

I would prefer a decent roller but at least it has got me into all grain without big $$$. I believe it is a Corona mill but am not 100% sure on that.

Cheers Dave

page 25 of this:

Mill

I've had one of these for a while, $189 including hopper, can't lose and its already set up for a drill.

I bought one of these a couple of weeks back because after a little comparison it is essentially a cheaper copy of the popular Barley Crusher. Takes a little bit to get the gap sorted and I used a shifter to tighten the locking screws. No idea what my gap is set to, I'd say it's around 1mm. I milled up around 20kg of grain with it and the crush worked well. Took the handle off it and attached a power drill to the axle. Good fun! Stoked to have a mill but will probably upgrade down the track.

Folks,

I'm doing BIAB and looking for a mill.
I've read that you can crush a little finer with BIAB, hence increasing efficiency.

Have my eye on a Monster Mill.

Not sure whether to go smaller mill and hand crank, or larger mill and drive it with the drill.

Will a fine gap be too hard or take too long to turn by hand?

Cheers!

I have had a barley crusher for about 5-6 years now, still going strong after 10+ full bags crushed.

There are better options out there for the price nowadays though, i'd definitely get SS rollers, the steel rollers on the Barley crusher do get a bit rusty from time to time, just means you have to sacrifice a kilo of grain to take it off.

In terms of home made hoppers, some Aluminium sheeting from Bunnings, tin snips or good shears, a drill and a pop rivet gun will make up a hopper pretty easily, that's all the Barley crusher has, just 4 pieces of Al riveted together. For an extension you can just cut the bottom out of a $1 plastic bucket and stick it in the top.

Back