Mill Motor - Salvaged Roller Door Motor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ledgenko

Reaction score
Hey guys ... I was reading on the net (can not remember where) but someone in Adelaide was using a roller door motor for a Mill motor ??? I was intrigued and a little excited on the idea .. barely slept thinking about how to mount it ?? calibrate ... etc. I should have written down the name of the guy doing these really ... my bad .. too much home brew !!! If you are the guy then PM me .. or if you know who it is please let me know ..

anyway today I happened to be driving through a suburb that was preparing for a council kerbside pick up and stopped right next to a roller door motor .. and it bloody works !!! sweet !!! I also picked up a bag of mobile phones, a computer and a big arse fan !!

Now I am really keen on finding out if anyone knows how to get it to start as it does not have a push button thing but I have the beeper code ???

I will post a pic tonight to show model and make !!

Hey guys ... I was reading on the net (can not remember where) but someone in Adelaide was using a roller door motor for a Mill motor ??? I was intrigued and a little excited on the idea .. barely slept thinking about how to mount it ?? calibrate ... etc. I should have written down the name of the guy doing these really ... my bad .. too much home brew !!! If you are the guy then PM me .. or if you know who it is please let me know ..

anyway today I happened to be driving through a suburb that was preparing for a council kerbside pick up and stopped right next to a roller door motor .. and it bloody works !!! sweet !!! I also picked up a bag of mobile phones, a computer and a big arse fan !!

Now I am really keen on finding out if anyone knows how to get it to start as it does not have a push button thing but I have the beeper code ???

I will post a pic tonight to show model and make !!

From the BrewAdelaide forum - Link

Nev motorised several of our mills, very impressive work and makes crushing grain so much easier.

I remember Tony M was trying to do one a while ago but the motor kept stopping as though the roller door had hit something. Might be worth sending him a PM to see if he ever got it working?

Just found the link

Cheers guys ... looks like the workshop will remain the workshop for some time now .... I had such hopes it would become the new brewery ... oh well at least I hold mans ground securely :)

So did the motors work out ok ?? the power pack fromthe comp ??? why ??? doesnt the door lifter come with 240v ??

Matt

Cheers guys ... looks like the workshop will remain the workshop for some time now .... I had such hopes it would become the new brewery ... oh well at least I hold mans ground securely :)

So did the motors work out ok ?? the power pack fromthe comp ??? why ??? doesnt the door lifter come with 240v ??

Matt

Mine works a treat. Fill the hopper. Plug it in, flick the switch and walk away.

As for why it needs the computer power supply there is a good reason why Nev built this for me, I have no idea how it works. Hammers are as complex as i get when it comes to DIY and more often than not i get hurt. :rolleyes:

I wanna figure out a way to make a bigger hopper. Something that can hold 15kgs of grain...

Has anyone ever joined two water bottles together. This baby will tear right through it no probs!

Ledgenko has been in touch. Good luck mate

Here is my 2007 vintage garage door mill motor.

It's a 300v DC motor. Just kept the rectifier from the original and wired it up. One of the original drive gears fit of the shaft of the BC. So I drilled a hole through both and put a pin in.

Covered in MDF so it isn't too much of a death trap:

1853780706_84d5e389d3.jpg

For more pics:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=257616

Has you got the standard hopper with yours?

Nope, using the old water bottle method. Echoing Smurto, you putting your hand up!??

I suggest you don't otherwise it'll end up like I ended up on BAdelaide... Orders rushing in :p

Nope, using the old water bottle method. Echoing Smurto, you putting your hand up!??

I suggest you don't otherwise it'll end up like I ended up on BAdelaide... Orders rushing in :p

What I pictured was an extension for the standard hopper for a Monster Mill.

Latest posts

Back