Mid year NSW Case Swap 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bugger! Completely forgot about this. And I haven't been on AHB in a while.

I've got a Steinbier (not swapping) and a Coffee Beer (haven't tasted yet) in fermenters right now. If the Coffee Beer isn't flash I'll whip up a Pale Ale this weekend.

From what I can gather the swap is taking place on the 20th at barls' place? If so, I will drop my beers off in the morning. I have a charity movie session of Minions at Top Ryde from 10am that day. Then I will come back to either help swap or take my case home. Count me out for food, I'll be eating at the charity event.

Isn't it 18 bottles in total as two folk have dropped out and you don't count your own beer?

I'm a case-swap newbie, but I suspect it's standard procedure to include an extra bottle for the host and the organizer?

M

josh, ill take the stein beer please.
thats fine josh I'm sure we will still be going when you get here.
as for numbers its 19 beers total so only 18 are required but bring a few extras( doesn't have to be the same for side swaps).
ill have a couple I've got most of the taps in the keg fridge running atm as I've just changed most taps.

hobospy said:
Isn't it 18 bottles in total as two folk have dropped out and you don't count your own beer?
To swap 19 brews is hectic at best. Its easier to make up 19 crates (well actually 38 crates) of exactly the same so its much easier to go home with the same beers. If one of them is yours, such is the price. Barls driveway isn't THAT big and also a lot of swappers wont be there. It is SO much easier if all the crates are the same.

What usually happens is after you have taken your crates away, you can bring your beer back and swap it with someone elses. Or leave it for the host (Barls loves VB ...clones or the real stuff).

And if a few blokes bring a few extra, the famous side bar swaps occurs. That way, you get to take home more than 18 bottles of other brewers beer.

ps. One for the organiser .........pppppppphhhhhhhhhhhhffffffffffffff.

Fatgodzilla said:
To swap 19 brews is hectic at best. Its easier to make up 19 crates (well actually 38 crates) of exactly the same so its much easier to go home with the same beers. If one of them is yours, such is the price. Barls driveway isn't THAT big and also a lot of swappers wont be there. It is SO much easier if all the crates are the same.

What usually happens is after you have taken your crates away, you can bring your beer back and swap it with someone elses. Or leave it for the host (Barls loves VB ...clones or the real stuff).

And if a few blokes bring a few extra, the famous side bar swaps occurs. That way, you get to take home more than 18 bottles of other brewers beer.

this is a fine example of why he will be sleeping outside with the dog at the end of the night.
definitely no eis bock for this one.

Since we don't need quite as many bottles as I thought, I took the opportunity to do a side by side this evening of the kegged version and the bottled version. The kegged version is just about to kick after 2 and a bit weeks, was delicious. The zythos and mosaic give it an "earthy melon" taste and aroma. Sounds weird, but it works. The bottled version is only just carbed, I like 'em at the lower end though, so it works for me. Not much aroma that I can detect (bummer), the taste is definitely more to the earthy mosaic end of the spectrum. I am concerned I can detect a hint of warm alcohol Fusels maybe (only in the bottled version)? But maybe its because I cracked the bottle at room temp.

The differences are probably because I cubed one with mosaic and one with zythos and then dry hopped a 50/50 mixture in both. I can't remember which is which though. But I'd say the kegged version was the Zythos and the bottled version was the mosaic.

They are both the clearest beers I have ever produced as well.

edited mostly for spelling.

Swappers:

1. Pratty1 - Robust Porter
2. Hou5eCat - Hop Gobbler ESB
3. MikeyR - John West IPA (it's a chinook)
4. Out
5. Out
6. Masters- Lager
7. Marksy - ESB
8. Motch
9. Topher - Stout with cold drip coffee (my own roast).
10.Paulyman - Pale Ale
11.reman - Hefeweizen
12. Skb
13. barls - smoked brown
14. Josh
15. n87 - Schwartz Vienna Lager
16. Cortez - Oaked RIS - 8.3% - RTD - Recipe http://hyperfox.info...grain01.htm#162
17. Digety - Tawny Port soaked Oak RIS - 9.2% - RTD (although it won't hurt to age it a bit)
18. Contrarian
19. Fatgodzilla
20. mb-squared - APA or IPA
21. Hobospy - Innis & Gunn Clone

Lunchers:

1. Masters + Eager brew assistant
2. n87
3. Mikeyr
4. Paulyman + SWMBO
5. Cortez (well for as long as I can entertain the kids...)
6. Digety
7. Reman + kiddies (is that ok?)
8. Hobospy

Food
Masters - Ribs (for smokin)
n87 - nice fresh bread and rolls, can grab some gourmet snags if there isnt going to be enough food already
mikeyr - Happy to contribute anything... how about home made coleslaw to go with the ribs and roll? Maybe some Buffalo Wings!
Paulyman - Homemade potato salad.
Cortez - Cheeses + cold cuts
Reman - Greek salad and some bangers
Digety - Snacks - chips, dips etc

Fatgodzilla said:

Hi,

I'm new to this case swap stuff and like your thinking, using crates. I was planning on a couple of milk crates or a 54L tub from Bunnings, so is each person responsible to come with crates then?

Yeah it certainly makes life easier

barls said:
this is a fine example of why he will be sleeping outside with the dog at the end of the night.
definitely no eis bock for this one.
last time I slept with your dog we both walked funny for weeks :blink:

digety said:
Swappers:

4. Out
5. Out
6. Masters- Lager
7. Marksy - ESB
8. Motch
10.Paulyman - Pale Ale
11.reman - Hefeweizen
12. Skb
13. barls - smoked brown
14. Josh
16. Cortez - Oaked RIS - 8.3% - RTD - Recipe http://hyperfox.info...grain01.htm#162
17. Digety - Tawny Port soaked Oak RIS - 9.2% - RTD (although it won't hurt to age it a bit)
18. Contrarian
19. Fatgodzilla - Dark Bitter. Drink in mid July to allow flavours to mellow.

Lunchers:

2. n87
3. Mikeyr
4. Paulyman + SWMBO
6. Digety
8. Hobospy
9. Fatgodzilla.
Food
n87 - nice fresh bread and rolls, can grab some gourmet snags if there isnt going to be enough food already
mikeyr - Happy to contribute anything... how about home made coleslaw to go with the ribs and roll? Maybe some Buffalo Wings!
Fatgodzilla - Meat.

Fatgodzilla said:
last time I slept with your dog we both walked funny for weeks :blink:
told her you were coming and she looked like she was ready to steal food off you again.

Sorry guys I have to pull out, just realised I'm off to a Wedding in Kangaroo valley that weekend

Swappers:

4. Out
5. Out
6. Masters- Lager
7. Marksy - ESB
8. Out
10.Paulyman - Pale Ale
11.reman - Hefeweizen
12. Skb
13. barls - smoked brown
14. Josh
18. Contrarian
19. Fatgodzilla - Dark Bitter. Drink in mid July to allow flavours to mellow.

Lunchers:

2. n87
3. Mikeyr
4. Paulyman + SWMBO
6. Digety
8. Hobospy
9. Fatgodzilla.
Food
Fatgodzilla - Meat.

motch02 said:
Sorry guys I have to pull out, just realised I'm off to a Wedding in Kangaroo valley that weekend

Couldnt you just drop you beers off to someone else thats going?

Yeah I guess if any one is around the Inner City or Cronulla, I could drop off before the date

I have a Saison that came out at 7.1%

This sucks.
Due to work commitments, I'm going to need to pull out of the Case swap.
I'll be in Perth on that weekend.
I might however be able to get my case over though for swapsies if time permits.

Man at the rate this is going there will be no one left. I made a funny boo boo with mine, so I label my beers in ascending order, so I've been tasting the highest number for the case swap, thinking yep this is cool, then when I went to make sure I had the 18 bottles I found a batch labeled number 7, and I thought what the hell is batch 7. Oh yeah that's the case swap batch that I hid so I wouldn't drink it. Haha. Anyways I'm tasting one now and its quite enjoyable. Happy with it.

ok if anyone can't make the date I'm happy to store them in my shed provided you can get them to me before hand. I'm home 5 days a week and you can drop off to my work in gladesville if you need.
just pm me peoples.

Latest posts

Back