Micromatic regulator leaking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim

Retro Ghetto Meister
Reaction score
My keg system has a leak which I think I have isolated down to the vent hole on the front of the regulator. I apologize for the blurry photo, there is not very good light next to my fridge.

photo.JPG

I have turned the gas on and set the regulator to 10 psi and tested the JG fittings and there is no leaks from the fittings. When I turn the gas bottle off, the high pressure guage drops down to zero over an hour. The low pressure side still reads 10 psi.

The gas seems to be venting from the vent hole/ bleed valve I have indicted to via the arrow in the photo above. Has anyone else experienced this? How do I repair the regulator?

The regulator is three years old and has only had one bottle of gas go through it. No beer has gone into the reg as I have always used a non-return valve.

Please help!

Tim

Anyone??

I just ordered a new reg (Harris 601) and I'll try and fix up the Micromatic and use as a back up on my sodastream bottle.

I'm having exactly the same problem Tim, did you end up fixing your reg?

haldini said:
I'm having exactly the same problem Tim, did you end up fixing your reg?
I too thought I had a pin hole leak in my regulator as it would drop back to zero after turning my gas off at the bottle after a couple of days.
I turned out to be the smallest leak in one of my poppet valves that was causing it. I'd be looking closely there.

How do you know it is the reg leaking and where does it leak from. I have a leak in my system and can't for the life of me find out where it is. I have submerged every join and fitting in my system in water and found no leaks, but after a couple of months my gas bottle is empty. Last things to check are the gas posts on the kegs (all new kegs) and the reg.

Andale used to sell service kits for Micromatic regulators. Their not cheap but they are a good regulator and are I believe worth spending a few $ on fixing.

Half and half dishwashing liquid and hot water, whip it, start at the bottle and work your way along the system, using a small paint brush (or pasty brush) cover everything in lather, even if you think it couldn't be the problem, immerse the entire gas line and disconnects in water, if there is a leak you can find it, the O-Ring on the gas post is a big one, the post and the disconnect can both test as OK, when you put them together - it leaks (caught more than one player). Be careful and systematic and odds on you will pin the problem down.
Mark

I am certain that's where the leak is, as I can hear it and feel it when I hold my finger near that hole, and the pressure stops dropping when I plug the hole up with my finger. This leak is quite fast and we often lose an entire bottle of gas overnight if the gas is left on.

I'll try a repair kit or failing that, a new regulator I guess.

If it's coming out of that hole that means the internal diaphragm of the regular is not sealing properly. As that vent hole is to let atmospheric pressure adjust on the non-gas side of the diaphragm. That allows the diaphragm to move freely based on gas pressure and the spring force.

Service kit will hopefully have a new diaphragm but before buying one check the inside for any damage, or foreign objects stuck under the diaphragm.

Latest posts

Back