Methods Of Insulating A Ss Pot For A Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza_devil

Reaction score
G'day Brewers,
I'm in the process of researching cost effective ways of insulating methods for my 32 litre SS pot for use as a mashtun. I'm interested in finding some different ideas and perhaps coming up with something new that may work well by upgrading the camping mat solution.
I've done a little research and after purchasing a camping mat found that they can melt if coming into contact with hot wort or a boiling temp pot. Now I'm thinking of ways to avoid this and still use the mat or try a completely different approach.
In another thread Husky came up with an idea of using a few metres of 14w/m heat mat to apply small amounts of heat between the pot and insulation. I also liked his idea of using velcro with the camping mat to fit it snug, easily and securely.
I was thinking one of those emergency thermal blankets may help if incoorporated with the camping mat and then wrapped in a -10 sleeping bag. Perhaps a layer of thick cardboard may help insulate the mat from the pot a little as well.
Any ideas or what works for you?
I'm also interested in what results peole are getting with varying amounts of headspace in the pot and varying amounts of thermal mass or mash volumes.

Cheers

I am also interested in what comes of this thread. I have a s/s keg that I wish to convert to a mash tun. My idea was to make a ply enclosure and use the spray foam stuff from... a certain hardware store to insulate it. I am not sure exactly how I am going to do the lid though.

Hope you get some good ideas. They will help me out as well.

Cheers,
Brad

if i can find a cheap supplier, my plan is to make up a neoprene 'wetsuit' with a zipper for my keggle mashtun. SWMBO sister is app a wizard with the sewing machine so i'll be focusing my efforts her way.

As for the base of the keg, its relatively flat and shallow but will be filled with some sort of filler foam cutout, either syrofoam or something else that can fit snugly with no deadspace. only issue is finding said cheap supplier. at this poiunt all im seeing is rouughly $90 per/m :eek:

this is for standard infusions of course, for anything step mash based, i'll probabaly direct fire it when needed with a relativly thin mash, 3-4:1 ratio.

if i can find a cheap supplier, my plan is to make up a neoprene 'wetsuit' with a zipper for my keggle mashtun. SWMBO sister is app a wizard with the sewing machine so i'll be focusing my efforts her way.

As for the base of the keg, its relatively flat and shallow but will be filled with some sort of filler foam cutout, either syrofoam or something else that can fit snugly with no deadspace. only issue is finding said cheap supplier. at this poiunt all im seeing is rouughly $90 per/m :eek:

this is for standard infusions of course, for anything step mash based, i'll probabaly direct fire it when needed with a relativly thin mash, 3-4:1 ratio.

I was thinking neoprene could be expensive but not that expensive, how much is a full piece diving suit these days?

The real thick rubbery stuff they use for deep winter diving would be the go perhaps with studs or a zip.

Although wetsuits are designed to work when wet, using body heat to warm a layer of water that stays close to the body, so not sure on the effectiveness, maybe no better than a camping mat.

I was thinking neoprene could be expensive but not that expensive, how much is a full piece diving suit these days?

The real thick rubbery stuff they use for deep winter diving would be the go perhaps with studs or a zip.

Although wetsuits are designed to work when wet, using body heat to warm a layer of water that stays close to the body, so not sure on the effectiveness, maybe no better than a camping mat.

Have a hunt around for its insulation properties, i think clark rubber website shows it. from waht ive seen, its the perfect prodcut to use, high temperature rated and highly durable.

On a side note, i have two neoprene wine coolers i use for transporting 500ml grolsch bottles to MB meetings. sometimes they sit in the 'wetsuit' for up to 2 hours before they are consumed and are typically below 10 deg still. well worth the investment if you can get it on the cheap. im even tempted to contact ripcurl or a wetsuit manufacturer on the surf coast to see if i can buy some from them/point me to a supplier when im down that way in the summer.

Have a hunt around for its insulation properties, i think clark rubber website shows it. from waht ive seen, its the perfect prodcut to use, high temperature rated and highly durable.

On a side note, i have two neoprene wine coolers i use for transporting 500ml grolsch bottles to MB meetings. sometimes they sit in the 'wetsuit' for up to 2 hours before they are consumed and are typically below 10 deg still. well worth the investment if you can get it on the cheap. im even tempted to contact ripcurl or a wetsuit manufacturer on the surf coast to see if i can buy some from them/point me to a supplier when im down that way in the summer.

Sounds the go then.
You often see old wetsuits in opp shops, maybe a bit of patchwork and you could create something effective and artistic.

My idea was to make a ply enclosure and use the spray foam stuff from... a certain hardware store to insulate it.

I am not saying don't; just here is some more information for you to consider.
I looked into expanding polyeurothane foam. Good if you're not exposing them to heat, apparently.
Have a read of the back of some of the cans and read their temperature ratings, you may be surprised...

Even fire retardent expanding polyeurothane foam is FLAME retardent not really heat proof. Fire retardent is only good to about 90 degrees celcius.
I am led to believe they can release toxic chemicals when heated.

Clark Rubber store... cheap and cheerful and looks the part. It will handle boiling water.

clarkrubber.jpg

any idea of what the product is called and what did it cost per metre :D
Its was about 20 bucks a meter - can't recall the name as I just chose it by sight. I went into the store and said I wanted to look at insulation - and they had a whole section of it. So many different types of thickness, grades, some with silver plastic coatings, some without... I'm sure you can find something that will fit the bill.

I went with Mrs Hatchy's yoga mat for my 1st BIAB attempt on Monday & lost 14 degrees in an hour. I really need to find a better solution.

Its was about 20 bucks a meter - can't recall the name as I just chose it by sight. I went into the store and said I wanted to look at insulation - and they had a whole section of it. So many different types of thickness, grades, some with silver plastic coatings, some without... I'm sure you can find something that will fit the bill.

thanks bud :beer:

I've seen plenty of people that have insulated their mash tun's with something blue, I think they got it from Clark rubber. Might be an idea to give them a call and see if they have anything that is heat resistant?

Edit:Replied way after I started viewing the thread.

I went with Mrs Hatchy's yoga mat for my 1st BIAB attempt on Monday & lost 14 degrees in an hour. I really need to find a better solution.

Hatchy, just use 4 big folded beach towels. That's how I've been insulating up until now and it works a treat! I wrap 1 around it horizontally, then fold one up and drape it, wrap another around, and drape the 4th.

Cheers

Clint

and how well it works as an insulator?
Good - but if you don't have an external heat source then you'll probably want to buy thicker stuff and insulate the entire vessel top and bottom. Since I run a HERMS system that provides heat, I haven't bothered to insulate the bottom of the vessel, and just put kettle lid of the top.

Sounds like it would make a better heatsink... Prior to getting an esky I was just wrapping a few towels around my 19l pot. Don't have a lid, so i just put a cake rack over the top and another (folded) towel. Assumming I had the towels around it while it was heating (gotta love electric), I'd only lose 2 or 3 degrees over the hour.

It was certainly not ideal, but definitely better than the yoga mat!!

You might want to look at the location you are brewing in. A draft from a window/door will pretty much do a stellar job o carrying the heat away, as will running exhaust systems. Shut that damn door mate. I lost nothing with just 2 towels and a 19 ltr pot recently so I can tell its not just the insulation, it's WHERE you mash.

Latest posts

Back