Merri Mashers IPA Comp 2017 Awards and Prizes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GrumpyPaul said:
I would like to recommend an encourage award for last place getters.....especially in the Red IPA category
Don't forget Double IPA category.

I would also like to introduce the notion of CHUMPion Beer, the beer judged as least best across all categories. Congratulations to Paul Chapman of MRBC on your second place getting EIPA. You will receive a personalised (in black shapie) wooden spoon at the next MRBC meeting.

Commiserations GrumpyPaul who narrowly missed out.

With a little more honing you guys will reach the whole grail... a 50 point beer.

FWIW, i also ran the "unbunch your panties" comment past my wife just to check/confirm my thoughts on it.
It is questionable as it specifically references panties, so specifically girl's underwear, inferring you're being a girl, inferring it's negative to be a girl. Hence, it's objectionable to girls/women who pause to give a shit about some random guy's comment, because it's basically implying being a girl is a negative thing.
Yes, it's a common phrase from years ago. I've used it hundreds of times, and other similar phrases. FWIW, i went through a learning curve during my 20's (& probably 30's tbh as well) to put my comments through a more refined filter. The filter is: "is what i'm saying basically implying simply being female or gay or a certain race/religion is a negative thing." If so, then i'm basically being a ****. I choose to go through life trying not to be a c.../prick. So i choose to use different ways to express myself where i'm not being a c.../prick to someone, regardless if i'm not intending to be - it's not all about me - and there's plenty of alternative phrases.
I also appreciate the c-word might be derogatory to women as well. Apologies, but it more accurately gets across the severity of the sentiment.

On the other side of the equation:
FWIW, stomping down on someone who has said something pretty minor who clearly isn't intending the offence it might cause isn't really helping anyone. It takes 2 minutes to politely explain why the words they used might be interpreted in a way they don't intend. At least give them the credit to think about it for themselves. If they want to be a dick about it from there, then that's something to take further. And also might be worthwhile not leaping aggressively to the defence of people who have already politely responded to someone who's posted reasonable negative feedback again is not really helping the situation - it all just becomes a shit-fight from there on and everyone walks away angry without learning anything.

All just my opinion, offered in good faith.

-----------------
FWIW, my 2c on what happened:

The negative feedback was fair enough - someone's opinion given in a reasonable fashion. Might've been a bit strong in sentiment, but let's just say it simply conveys his disappointment at the time and at least isn't having a go at the organisers. It possibly could've been clarified "prizes" doesn't necessarily mean oodles of cash, and that a certificate might've been sufficient. In hindsight this might've headed off some emotions from the get-go.

The MM guys seem to have responded really well, particularly considering it was negative feedback on a huge gig that they would've slaved for many hours to see to completion. Credit to them for maintaining cool heads and taking it on board.
Their response was responded to in kind, discussion moved ahead reasonably well. Everything's peachy.

Then a couple of hours after it's all fairly happily resolved, a new post or 2 seemed to weigh in with additional emotions to muddy/antogionise the waters. Not really helpful, even if the best intentions were present.
---------------

Finally & most importantly, a massive congratulations to the MM organisers for running the IPA comp. It sounds like it was a huge success, and will be even better next year.
(& as a part-time, long-time MM member, i'll try to front a beer or 2 for next years comp. Honest! TBH, this/last year's IPA wasn't up to a standard i was happy with)

Edit: changed the c-bomb a little. Sounded like a good statement at the time, but not 20mins after posting [emoji6] ... Ironic example of needing to filter your words. [emoji1]
Cheers to TSMill for confirming a little twinge of doubt on how it was going to look to others [emoji57]

TLDR but....

Don't mention panties because of negative female inferences and it makes you a.......****?

I think part of the universe just collapsed in on itself.

TSMill said:
TLDR but....

Don't mention panties because of negative female inferences and it makes you a.......****?

I think part of the universe just collapsed in on itself.
Yeah, it sounded fine when written. Especially after spending a Sunday with some gay friends who drop the c-bomb like confetti.
But I'd agree, if nothing else it too easily overshadows the point I was trying to make.
Edited it out.

zeggie said:
No worries. We'll hit you up to sponsor a category next year ($150 in hops? An IPA comp is perfect to sponsor!) :p
its unlikely that HDA will be around this time next year but tell ya what, I'll sponsor you for 10 x ribbons for first, second and third...

>LIKE THIS<

technobabble66 said:
Yeah, it sounded fine when written. Especially after spending a Sunday with some gay friends who drop the c-bomb like confetti.
But I'd agree, if nothing else it too easily overshadows the point I was trying to make.
Edited it out.
I like how you still left a sneaky one in there :)

Im too busy getting in trouble for sending innapropriate office wide emails to respond to this any further

I'm more offended by the miss use of the word infer when the correct word is imply. Seriously it shits me and people do it all the time.

GalBrew said:
I'm more offended by the miss use of the word infer when the correct word is imply. ...
infer
ɪnˈfəː/
verb
deduce or conclude (something) from evidence and reasoning rather than from explicit statements.

imply
ɪmˈplʌɪ/
verb
indicate the truth or existence of (something) by suggestion rather than explicit reference.

Yeah, massive difference in everyday usage [emoji15]

[emoji1]

technobabble66 said:
infer
ɪnˈfəː/
verb
deduce or conclude (something) from evidence and reasoning rather than from explicit statements.

imply
ɪmˈplʌɪ/
verb
indicate the truth or existence of (something) by suggestion rather than explicit reference.

Yeah, massive difference in everyday usage [emoji15]

[emoji1]
There is actually quite a big difference namely the subject to whom you assign the verb to in a sentence. Yes they have a very similar meaning but even the definitions you have provided show the difference. Also why suggest that it's ok to be wrong just because it is 'everyday usage'. Anyway the point is you should have used 'imply' in that instance.

I am also aware of the irony that by posting this I have 'bunched my panties' as it were and I really should try to remedy this situation immediately.

I also realise that no one cares, and I was just having a bit of an OT poke (as happens around here on occasion).

Why does it affect you so much GalBrew?

Sh*t. Using "effect" is exactly what I intended to do, looks like I managed to bugger that up.

GalBrew said:
There is actually quite a big difference namely the subject to whom you assign the verb to in a sentence. Yes they have a very similar meaning but even the definitions you have provided show the difference. Also why suggest that it's ok to be wrong just because it is 'everyday usage'. Anyway the point is you should have used 'imply' in that instance.

I am also aware of the irony that by posting this I have 'bunched my panties' as it were and I really should try to remedy this situation immediately.

I also realise that no one cares, and I was just having a bit of an OT poke (as happens around here on occasion).
You had to go and mention the panties again.

On behalf of Galbrew (and all ahb) I extend an apology to Fergthebewer's girlfriend, Mrs technobabble and any other ladies, or others, that may or may not be effected by any inferred implication that being a girl wearing panties (bunched our unbunched) is in any way a negative thing.

And...

Great job to the MM crew for organising a great comp even if it didn't have certificates, ribbons or other acknowledgement for place getters paid for out of any implied (did I get that right) profits whether they be real or imagined in the minds of internet dwelling forum readers regardless of there beer making abilities or lack thereof.

Let the grammar Nazis have a field day with that one.

And sorry if I offend any Nazis on this forum...I'm assure that's more offensive than panty bunching.

Back