Merri Mashers IPA Comp 2017 Awards and Prizes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lay off the organisers, judges, stewards, anyone who actually gave up their own valuable time to provide the comp for you. As some in this thread would know, it takes serious manpower to get comps like this over the line. There were very experienced judges present, there were epic prizes for the best beers. Well done gents.

How about put your hand up and volunteer next year? Offer to print up certificates (if that seriously is so important), offer to steward. Many hands make light work. Ask not what your comp can do for you, ask what you can do for your comp.

Offer to print up certificates (if that seriously is so important),

Sorry but I think that is a bit harsh.

NealK said:
Offer to print up certificates (if that seriously is so important),

Sorry but I think that is a bit harsh.
Sorry but I think the fact half the posts in this thread are giving grief to the organisers is a bit harsh.

zeggie said:
Sorry but I think the fact half the posts in this thread are giving grief to the organisers is a bit harsh.
zeggie said:
I don't post in AHB much , anymore.
Yes I agree that the running of a competition is serious hard work.
I will say that there are three other brew clubs that have years of experience in running competitions and from my perspective, these clubs have always offered some sort of award for first , second and third. We do it to encourage people to brew.
I get that the Merri Mashers have only been around for three years but there is some standard that entrants expect.Perhaps it was a oversight to try something different without more publicity ,about what the prizes were ? Community expectations can often outweigh the reality .
I will say given the ruckus this has caused a bit sad. From everyone's view. The Merri Mashers point of view and you the the brew communities point of view .
Some of the comments were not cool. From both sides . There are a lot of female brewers now and telling people to "unbunch their panties" is also not cool thing.
I have no doubt that next year , Merri Mashers will put on a cracker of a competition.
And please , give them a chance next year, brew a beer and enter...I know I will .

Score sheets were well filled our which is quite refreshing, often they aren't but these had a goodly amount of detail.

I was going to leave this thread alone...but this comment is confusing me.

fergthebrewer said:
Some of the comments were not cool. From both sides . There are a lot of female brewers now and telling people to "unbunch their panties" is also not cool thing.
Can someone clarify for me....

Is the saying "unbunch your panties" really offensive to anyone?

I was always of the impression it was just a modern take on a saying my old Gran used to say - "Dont get your knickers in a twist".

I never knew my old Gran was so sexist and derogative...

Its kind of ironic we enter comps for the feedback - but the issue of feedback for the comps can be such a sensitive issue.

• There has been some valid feedback - which the organiser have acknoweldged.
  • There have been some misunderstandings (eg how many entries and the money taken) - which the organisers clarifed and the misunderstandees (me) acknowledge.
I know for my part the comments were made in a light hearted, tongue in cheek fashion - as most of my contrtibutions to this forum are.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

Thanks for organising the comp - the effort put in is greatly aprreciated.

Now I think we should all lighten up...

Disclaimer: For the purposes of this post the phrase "lighten up" is made in reference to lightening the mood. It is in no way intended to be derogatroy or offensive. No inference is intended to skin tone or race. I apoloigise up front for any unintend offence the may be caused to black people on this forum.

Wow people who didn't volunteer to help out for a comp whinging about how said comp is run. Never seen that before.......

Very happy with the feedback sheets - just what I was hoping for when entering my mediocre AIPA :lol:

GrumpyPaul said:

Well , my girlfriend , who is a member of Westgate and this forum , thought it ordinary.

I can testify that terms like, don't be a big skirt etc. Don't generally go down well these days..

I don't necessarily agree, but peoples perceptions are what they are, world gone mad? Possibly, reluctantly I can see the point.. Very ******* reluctantly.. Even so, I've had to temper the phrases I would, in years past, hand out at whim.

If ypu had of said jocks, the fairer, equally as competent yet not as physically as strong (in most cases) crowd would not have a reason to shout at me.. I mean you..

I personally find it a tough line to tread, I often throw such comments about because I'm yob, I see it as an Ozzi thing to poke shit, apparently it is also seen as degrading to a whole gender... Was an actual shock to me to discover that and while I see the point..

Lighten the **** up, I know neither I nor you perceive it as a gender slander and the world has gone a little fucked up in these ways.

There is a difference in a throw away line and a belief.

Well OT.. Sorry

fergthebrewer said:
Perhaps it was a oversight to try something different without more publicity ,about what the prizes were ? Community expectations can often outweigh the reality .
I will say given the ruckus this has caused a bit sad.
Agreed. Maybe a simple certificate could fix things for those who want bragging rights in future?

HOWEVER, there's feedback, which is more than acceptable and I'm sure Mashers would appreciate and take on board, and then there are the insults/demands/bad maths posted in this thread that are not acceptable.

GrumpyPaul said:
Long rant
Yob said:
Short novel
Could you two please take your debate on whether people are allowed to be offended by your "aussie speak you've always done and no one used to be offended back in the good old days" and find another thread to debate it in? I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to appreciate it if you did. Cheers.

I was going to leave this thread alone...but this comment is confusing me.

Well , my girlfriend , who is a member of Westgate and this forum , thought it ordinary.

Is it word panties, a noun that classifies a class of clothing or the verb unbunch describing the action that should occur to the said noun that is causing so much concern?

zeggie said:
Agreed. Maybe a simple certificate could fix things for those who want bragging rights in future?

HOWEVER, there's feedback, which is more than acceptable and I'm sure Mashers would appreciate and take on board, and then there are the insults/demands/bad maths posted in this thread that are not acceptable.

Could you two please take your debate on whether people are allowed to be offended by your "aussie speak you've always done and no one used to be offended back in the good old days" and find another thread to debate it in? I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to appreciate it if you did. Cheers.
Politely.. For now.. No.

It has relevance to the evolution of this thread and while I agree it's OT.

Can't really say you've been overly constructive in it anyway..

You seem to want to assert your opinion over others as far as I can see and if you think I'm not entitled to voice my opinion on the topic at hand, i have a number of choice words for you.

I'm just gunna put this down too, I was one of the first one's with my hand up to help the mashers put this comp together and help train them in how to run it in the first year, As was a whole bunch of other folks, so if you are just gunna sling mud, you best be making sure of just who you're ******* slinging it at.

And I think it was "big girls blowse"I actually got in the shot for... FFS

zeggie said:
What a short memory you have zeggie, only last month you had a post removed for being offensive.

There is a moderator lurking in the wings hoping he doesn't need to do more than let this latest fizzle out and allow the topic discussion to return to its original intent.

I like to use a light, delicate hand. Restraint. That's what it's all about.

Yob said:
You seem to want to assert your opinion over others as far as I can see and if you think I'm not entitled to voice my opinion on the topic at hand, i have a number of choice words for you.
Ah classic strawman argument. Where did I say you're not entitled to an opinion?

Which part of any of my posts did you not agree with?
The Mashers put in a lot of hard work?
Lay off the organisers in the thread?
Offer to volunteer?
Take your debate to a new thread and not clog up this one?

wide eyed and legless said:
What a short memory you have zeggie, only last month you had a post removed for being offensive.
I'm curious to know what post that is, considering I was away with no internet access for most of Feb?

Z-man, all I got is this..

thanks again to MM and you better believe Im going to enter next year..

ffs, I dont want to win hops though.. :p

Yob said:
Z-man, all I got is this..

thanks again to MM and you better believe Im going to enter next year..

ffs, I dont want to win hops though.. :p
No worries. We'll hit you up to sponsor a category next year ($150 in hops? An IPA comp is perfect to sponsor!) :p

Back