Mercurios Menu Kenya Speacial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Merc's gotta somehow persuade/convince a TV network of a show that would pull in sponsors, and given that some commercial networks already have big sponsors in the major breweries, and that craft breweries are not big spenders on TV advertising, its going to be difficult.

Merc, given the central place that beer has taken in Australian culture, wouldn't there be a state or Fed government grant available for a beer show? (eg. Australia Council?).

Merc, given the central place that beer has taken in Australian culture, wouldn't there be a state or Fed government grant available for a beer show? (eg. Australia Council?).
You're kidding right? This isnt Belgium. Our State and Fed governments only see beer as a blight on our culture and the root cause of binge drinking and alcohol related violence on our streets and carnage on our roads and the breakdown of society in general. Oh, and of course a good source of tax revenue.

Wine on the other hand, well, that's a sophisticated drink, a regional tourism drawcard, a small business venture for farmers, it possibly prevents cancer and people only limit themselves to one or two glasses with dinner. :rolleyes:

You're kidding right? This isnt Belgium. Our State and Fed governments only see beer as a blight on our culture and the root cause of binge drinking and alcohol related violence on our streets and carnage on our roads and the breakdown of society in general. Oh, and of course a good source of tax revenue.

Wine on the other hand, well, that's a sophisticated drink, a regional tourism drawcard, a small business venture for farmers, it possibly prevents cancer and people only limit themselves to one or two glasses with dinner. :rolleyes:
Good post.

Spewing I missed the show! Anyone know if it will be replayed?

Thanks exactly the sort of thing that a govt grant funded TV series on beer could explore in part. From the beers of the early settlers right through to today's craft brews and every thing inbetween. How did we get to where we are today? The good and the bad. Interviews with CEOs of big breweries, chief commissioners of police and leading craft brewers. A voyage of exploration into beer and how it has helped define the Australian culture. The social science nabobs on the grants boards go nuts over this sort of thing.

I laughed so hard reading your bit about wine. And its so true! Im not knocking wine i love it! Just thought it was funny cause its true!

Good post.

Spewing I missed the show! Anyone know if it will be replayed?

4 of June on channel seven 2

I had a pilot lined up to be shot for my show it was part funded by CUB, part funded by Coopers and I was talking with Lion Nathan also. CUB said we will put 55% of the money in so we want our product to feature in 55% of the show, Coopers put 6% of the $ in and wanted 90% of the show with their product and Lion Nathan wanted my house my children and my wife in return for a mixed case of their beers which I was to be seen drinking anywhere and everywhere....

The above is partly true. Only the big boys have the money to sponsor a beer show but they dont want to put money in to a show that will feature Micro's for the very obvious reason. If we in Australia had a brewers guild which every brewer big and small belonged to then the guild could sponsor the program as it would be about Beer and not about a particular brewer. You could also then go to the big and the small without fear of favouritism and with out undue pressure from the biggies.

At the end of the day I am just glad I can get to the breweries I have.

I think there is a Brewers guild for microś ( cant remeber the contacts ), but I would imagine that they would not have mega $$$ to fund a full show

Back