Melbourne Grain Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if everyone can confirm orders in the next two weeks, i.e. by 10 Nov that would be enough (more than) for G&G to organise delivery to their shop.

How should we confirm we are a definite?

Punch the numbers under your name on the spreadsheet and send me that email. If you pay, that is self solving too :)

I've just added the Global and BestMalz malts to the list, John just mailed them in.

we are looking at the 27th Nov as a pickup date, so if everyone can confirm orders in the next two weeks, i.e. by 10 Nov that would be enough (more than) for G&G to organise delivery to their shop. Payment can be collected and forwarded anytime a week or two before the delivery day.

Also, on that day they would have a brew day, thats the plan atm. John indicated that he would be very happy to have it happen on the same day.

If anyone wants to pay for it at any point, please email me at [email protected] for bank details.

Need a volunteer bringing in scales that can weigh 25 kilos. Would be great for the splitters. I can volunteer black pretend ninja bags :ph34r: ;) ;) Brendo

and everyone please remember to update the spreadsheet, I have NOT transferred people's vague orders over, much safer if you do it yourselves :)

Sorry mate - I won't be the scales man this time around - as I won't be able to physically attend that day.

anyone want to split a vienna and a light munich? Not fussed if its jow white or wey. Im in scoresby buy prolly easier to split on the day.

both the vienna and munich? want the aussie or german?

I don't mind husky, if you want to spend a bit more on the german that is my preferred grain. Generally the G&G prices will be very good. I know you have asked acasta so happy to split three ways or miss out on the Munich.

I think I already am splitting a bag of Munich with Acasta but if it's 4 ppl wanting to split, we can buy 2 bags of Munich between us ;)

Sorry mate - I won't be the scales man this time around - as I won't be able to physically attend that day.

I just happened to purchase a set of scales that will do up to 150KG's in 100gm increments.

I can bring them down on the day but can't stay for a long time. Last BB pickup was for about 90 mins or alternatively any of the Melbourne brewers from out my way could bring them back with them and I can pick them up.

Rental of my scales on the day can be had for 500g of specialty malt :p

Duck

Need a volunteer bringing in scales that can weigh 25 kilos. Would be great for the splitters.

I can bring my scales but they only weigh 10 kg at a time. I'm happy to leave them with you if someone can organise for them to be dropped back to me at the end or I can pick them up from anywhere close to the city or as far as essendon to Northcote, moonee ponds to Carlton over the following week.

Also having trouble editing spreadsheet. Do I need a google mail account?

I'm wanting 1 x bag dingemans Pilsner and 1 x bag Crisp Marris Otter

Hmnnnn, the spreadsheet should work if followed from link, I'll check once I'm home. I'll fill yours in.

Scales, thanks to both offers, well, I'm assuming everyone would venture into the shop and spend a little time chatting, if there are many splits where we need to divide on the spot (rather than ppl managing them in their own time) then I'll take you or duck up on the offer. If it's a few, we'll manage it while you guys are there. Duck, if ur not very far from it I can drop your scales off at pete's shop or bring them back to you on my way home.

Have my order in but wouldnt mind trying the Kolsch malt if anyone is up for a split?
50/50

cheers

Also having trouble editing spreadsheet. Do I need a google mail account?

I'm wanting 1 x bag dingemans Pilsner and 1 x bag Crisp Marris Otter

I've put your's in, I'm having trouble editing from work computer too but it does go through.

Basically, confirming your order is as simple as totalling up the dollar amount and filling it under your name, including uncomfirmed orders 41 sacks right now. We could be looking at 2 pallets.

PS: Looking for advice here, I see that a lot of ale recipes use pilsener malt, when/why would you use an ale malt? What difference will it make?

Hmnnnn, the spreadsheet should work if followed from link, I'll check once I'm home. I'll fill yours in.

Scales, thanks to both offers, well, I'm assuming everyone would venture into the shop and spend a little time chatting, if there are many splits where we need to divide on the spot (rather than ppl managing them in their own time) then I'll take you or duck up on the offer. If it's a few, we'll manage it while you guys are there. Duck, if ur not very far from it I can drop your scales off at pete's shop or bring them back to you on my way home.

Pete's shop can be on my way home as well. I work in Burwood East and live near Lilydale. All good.

Just make sure all the bags of specialty grains are well labelled :lol: :lol:

Duck

PS: Looking for advice here, I see that a lot of ale recipes use pilsener malt, when/why would you use an ale malt? What difference will it make?

Ive used pilsner malt in place of ale in the past and find the change pleasant. Infact i like to use pilsner malt in simple APA's with a touch (1-2%) of light crystal. Pilsner malt is typically sweeter, doughy and malty where as ale is typically just 'malty'. Local Ale malt is quite neutral.

Also, if you're afraid of the DMS monster you would stick with ale malt where possible or do an extended boil/rapid chill if using pilsner malt. Me personally i dont* have any issues with DMS using pils malt and no chilling.

* Ive only noticed it once mildly in a beer ive made with pils malt. any other times i notice it its the corn from polenta thats making it 'corny' but not creamed corny if you get what im saying?

roger that.. I won't mind a more forgiving sweeter malt :) As I read your take on them, it should let me play with hops a bit more.

can always pick up JW ale malt later cheaply locally anyway. cheers.

PS: Good on ya for starting a blog :) Will watch. hehe... no pressure

roger that.. I won't mind a more forgiving sweeter malt :) As I read your take on them, it should let me play with hops a bit more.

can always pick up JW ale malt later cheaply locally anyway. cheers.

PS: Good on ya for starting a blog :) Will watch. hehe... no pressure

IMO, get both. You will end up chewing through all of your pilsner and wish you had some on hand when you wanted to brew a lager. Base malt turns over pretty quickly. 5 batches and the sack is usually gone.

As for the blog, well it gives me an excuse to throw some beer stuff around and hopefully reduce my time trolling on here. :icon_cheers:

Back