Melbourne Brewers Beerfest, 2013

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fergthebrewer said:
Westgate didn't have any representatives this year . There are several reasons .
Some off us have young families.its a long way to go for a weekend of beer. There is a fair chance my wife would soon get weary of caring for our son whilst I imbibed.
Also , and don't take this the wrong way , some of our older members are over going all that way..and their wives have expressed displeasure that there is nothing to do....
Also , Westgate have it's club meeting on the third Sunday of each month . That was yesterday . It always clashes...we moved it a couple of times but in the end decided that wed stick with our usual date .
Whilst several of our bjcp judges have judged in the past , they have also expressed that time , distance etc play are part in it...
Anyway , I await the judges feedback...
Thanks Melbourne brewers...
Thanks for the feedback Ferg,

We do acknowledge that Beerfest is a fair way out of town. We've tried to make some changes to the way it's normally run to cater for families (like mine) who would find it difficult to commit an entire weekend in, let's face it, a town that isn't exactly a family tourist mecca. Running the events on Friday and (mostly) Saturday allows people to either get away Saturday night before sundown, or early Sunday morning. It meant that this year I was able to be back at home working on our house by 10:30 on Sunday, which was great

Still understand that others have different priorities and requirements, which makes it difficult to attend an event so far away. On our side we missed the camaraderie of other clubs we've had down in the past... it'll be good to catch up at some of your events coming up this year.

On a similar vein, we did have a few discussions down there about how to get the clubs together more often, and some good ideas came up. We should try to get all the presidents along to a Vicbrew meeting and have a chat about ways we can foster interclub activities a little more.

Andy

mxd said:
yes, that may take a week or 2, generally it's before the mail out.
Normally I'd have had them up by now, but I only have a wireless modem link at the moment in the new house, so uploading 2GB of scoresheets is proving to be arduous. I'll see if I can get to a physical link in the next day or two and get them up for everyone.

Andy

Didn't get a gong but managed the highest scoring AIPA and American Barleywine from my two entries so I'm pretty happy with that. Thanks to the Organizers, I'm amazed at how quick you guys got the results up.

cheers

Browndog

My first comp.
Stoked to get a 4th place for my Vienna (1st ever lager).

browndog said:
Didn't get a gong but managed the highest scoring AIPA and American Barleywine
How does that work?

They were in the strong ale and lager category with a lot of other styles Bum and differing styles were ahead of mine.

browndog said:
They were in the strong ale and lager category with a lot of other styles Bum and differing styles were ahead of mine.
Hadn't thought about it that way - so my 7th placed Strong Ale is also 2nd placed AIPA :icon_cheers:

Appreciate your efforts with the scoresheets Andy - looking forward to reviewing them.

Thanks Frothy - hoping for tonight - they're all processed and ready to go up on CompMaster. I just need to find a solid connection (that's not going to cost a bomb to upload on, unlike my 4G modem :) )

Cheers!

Frothie said:
Hadn't thought about it that way - so my 7th placed Strong Ale is also 2nd placed AIPA :icon_cheers:

Appreciate your efforts with the scoresheets Andy - looking forward to reviewing them.
I like this line of thinking - therefore my 21st place in the Porter and Stout category was the first placed Sweet Stout!!!

Woo Hoo for me - where do I pick up my trophy....

Trophies and prizes will be available from Brewers Den, luckily for you, in Boronia from next week. We have had too many incidents of breakage in the post. If it turns out that a winner is from Interstate we'll arrange some serious padding for then, but it doesn't seem to guarantee that it will arrive in one piece :(

Andy

Or alternatively you could come along to the Melbourne Brewers meeting next Wednesday night and pick them up :)

Andy

Cant believe I accidently entered my RIS as aust/foreign stout. If I get comments back saying it would have been better as a ris ill be gutted. I only missed first place by 2 points.

BoroniaNewBrewer said:
I like this line of thinking - therefore my 21st place in the Porter and Stout category was the first placed Sweet Stout!!!

Woo Hoo for me - where do I pick up my trophy....

Andyd said:
Trophies and prizes will be available from Brewers Den, luckily for you, in Boronia from next week. We have had too many incidents of breakage in the post. If it turns out that a winner is from Interstate we'll arrange some serious padding for then, but it doesn't seem to guarantee that it will arrive in one piece :(

Andy
There was a large element of sarcasm in my "where do I pick up my trophy" for my 21st placing...

If anything I probably only deserve one of those "pity" ribbons I used to get at primary school for "participation" in the school sports.

citymorgue2 said:
Cant believe I accidently entered my RIS as aust/foreign stout. If I get comments back saying it would have been better as a ris ill be gutted. I only missed first place by 2 points.
I think I tasted that one (I wasn't judging just drinking left overs, it was the last foreign) it was good and we thought it was more RIS than foreign, not too sure what the judges thought

mxd said:
I think I tasted that one (I wasn't judging just drinking left overs, it was the last foreign) it was good and we thought it was more RIS than foreign, not too sure what the judges thought
its definitely too big for a foreign in every sense. Oh well, my fault. I allways label my lids with my initials and beer cat eg CM213F for RIS cant blame anyonw but me

From memory, there was 1 beer I asked the steward to check because I thought it seemed more ris. Don't remember if I noted it on the scoresheet though.

citymorgue2 said:
its definitely too big for a foreign in every sense. Oh well, my fault. I allways label my lids with my initials and beer cat eg CM213F for RIS cant blame anyonw but me
I judged that category, and recall one of the top places being blindingly delicious, but a bit too much alcohol in the flavor for FEX. Will have to check the scoresheets when I get home...

Frothie said:

The power of positive thinking Frothie.

Half are uploaded. Will get the rest done a little later tonight....

Andyd said:
I judged that category, and recall one of the top places being blindingly delicious, but a bit too much alcohol in the flavor for FEX. Will have to check the scoresheets when I get home...
Noooooooooooo!
Tip foe young players..check your entry details 3 times before submitting.
Thrre was lots of alc. Its 1085 beer. Last bottle as well. Oh well on the brew list again.

Back