Melbourne Brewers Beerfest, 2013

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Whoever Mikko is he must be very proud...if there were three judges he averaged nearly 45 out of 50 from each one. That's gotta be one hell of an impressive beer.

carniebrew said:
Thanks. Whoever Mikko is he must be very proud...if there were three judges he averaged nearly 45 out of 50 from each one. That's gotta be one hell of an impressive beer.
I was one of the lucky ones to judge this, the whole flight was very good.

by memory we had 1 with brett (I don't mind brett but in a strong lager probably not right :) ), 1 totally flat, and one with some fermentation issues, the rest all good tasty beers.

All grain brewer from Bayside Club. He got 44, 44 and 45 from the 3 judges. Yes - he is VERY Happy.

Twas a great weekend,big thanks to Richard,Wolfy,and Manticle for all their efforts organising things.A bit sad some of the other clubs didn't 't seem to be able to make it down and assist,but everything ran very well.Also good to see some more novice judges throwing their hat in the ring,well done to all.

Sorry for the delay folks - I've a bit distracted getting a house ready for sale...

Results up now on CompMaster...http://www.compmaster.com.au//compmaster_resultSummary/13/full

Champion Brewer: Jonathan Finney (on count-back as per AABC rule D10)

Champion Beer: Mikko Pludra

Best Club: Melbourne Brewers (15 points, Runners up Bayside with 13 points, then Westgate with 10)

Congratulations to everyone who entered - there were a substantial number of supurb beers this year. And a big thanks to everyone who came down to Mirboo North to make this another successful weekend. Hopefully next year we can convince a few more people in clubs or otherwise to come join us for what is a great weekend away.

Cheers!

Andy

a big thanks to all involved in organising and running the comp. pretty stoked to take out pale lager with my aussie lager.

Congrats to all the winners and thanks to the club for organising and running the comp.

I am still very new to comps so I have no point of reference to personally compare against. Can someone tell me what is considered a reasonablebe/good score?

Should I be happy with a 97 for my Stout?

BoroniaNewBrewer said:
Congrats to all the winners and thanks to the club for organising and running the comp.

I am still very new to comps so I have no point of reference to personally compare against. Can someone tell me what is considered a reasonablebe/good score?

Should I be happy with a 97 for my Stout?

yep,

betweeen 33 and 39 is a very good beer

between 25 - 32 is a good beer

mxd said:
yep,

betweeen 33 and 39 is a very good beer

between 25 - 32 is a good beer
So 97 divides by 3 judges give me and average 32.333.

Puts it on the verge of "very good".

I can be happy with that.

toper01 said:
Twas a great weekend,big thanks to Richard,Wolfy,and Manticle for all their efforts organising things.A bit sad some of the other clubs didn't 't seem to be able to make it down and assist,but everything ran very well.Also good to see some more novice judges throwing their hat in the ring,well done to all.

Westgate didn't have any representatives this year . There are several reasons .
Some off us have young families.its a long way to go for a weekend of beer. There is a fair chance my wife would soon get weary of caring for our son whilst I imbibed.
Also , and don't take this the wrong way , some of our older members are over going all that way..and their wives have expressed displeasure that there is nothing to do....
Also , Westgate have it's club meeting on the third Sunday of each month . That was yesterday . It always clashes...we moved it a couple of times but in the end decided that wed stick with our usual date .
Whilst several of our bjcp judges have judged in the past , they have also expressed that time , distance etc play are part in it...
Anyway , I await the judges feedback...
Thanks Melbourne brewers...

Can I suggest you add a little cement to your next mash - it might help you to harden up.

Stoked on quick results! Do we get scoresheets via the commander website too breaking down our scores for us?

Bitter & Twisted said:
Can I suggest you add a little cement to your next mash - it might help you to harden up.
There was several posts alluding to the fact that other brew clubs were not there...I have a reason or two why Westgate were not . Explain why I need to harden up ?

fergthebrewer said:
Westgate didn't have any representatives this year . There are several reasons .
Some off us have young families.its a long way to go for a weekend of beer. There is a fair chance my wife would soon get weary of caring for our son whilst I imbibed.
Also , and don't take this the wrong way , some of our older members are over going all that way..and their wives have expressed displeasure that there is nothing to do....
Also , Westgate have it's club meeting on the third Sunday of each month . That was yesterday . It always clashes...we moved it a couple of times but in the end decided that wed stick with our usual date .
Whilst several of our bjcp judges have judged in the past , they have also expressed that time , distance etc play are part in it...
Anyway , I await the judges feedback...
Thanks Melbourne brewers...
What if we supplied a jumping castle and some knitting needles? :p (and something for the wives and kiddies too)

... sorry... (Just piss taking Ferg)

@Koots, I may stand corrected but I think we need to wait for the hard copies in the mail, I know feedback forms were scanned though so I'm not 100% on it. (still no scoresheets on Compmaster as yet)

edits bracketed

Sorry ferg, lacked a bit of subtlety - put it down to me being tired.

Basically I read your post and was thinking to myself "so what's different for us?". It's not really that far for a Saturday outing, and loads of us have small families too (including me). Just niggles a bit since a lot of us make an effort to help out at the comps for the other clubs, which we are happy to do, because we're into sharing the experience.

koots said:
Stoked on quick results! Do we get scoresheets via the commander website too breaking down our scores for us?

yes, that may take a week or 2, generally it's before the mail out.

Back