Melbourne Brewers Beerfest, 2013

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
King kong - bottle cap id helps the organisers make sure your bottle is enteted correctly. Labels fall off in transit, etc.

Carnie -I'm not entirely sure why that question is asked. Some comps have a prize for best kit but this doesn't.
However I can state with certainty that judges are given entry number and style only.

Carnie -I'm not entirely sure why that question is asked. Some comps have a prize for best kit but this doesn't.
However I can state with certainty that judges are given entry number and style only.
Thanks. I'm considering entering my dunkel, but I'm not sure if I should tick "mini-mash/extract" or just "extract brew". I used unhopped extract with nearly a kilo of specialty grain steeped before the boil.

And to expand on King Kong's question, are we supposed to make up our own bottle cap id, or is that assigned by the system when you submit your entry?

Put what you want on the lid, its just an identifier, that code will be matched to your entry.

Thanks. I'm considering entering my dunkel, but I'm not sure if I should tick "mini-mash/extract" or just "extract brew". I used unhopped extract with nearly a kilo of specialty grain steeped before the boil.

And to expand on King Kong's question, are we supposed to make up our own bottle cap id, or is that assigned by the system when you submit your entry?
Whatever id you want.
As for minimash vs extract with spec - you need to actually mash base grain to be considrred minimash or partial but it's pretty academic. I might suggest to the commitee that we either retire that question or at least make it meaningful for future comps.
In your case - extract but don't sweat it.

When entering via compmaster, can payment be made with bottle drop of must it also be completed online, I notice there is a confirm and pay later option, is this option appropriate?

Cheers

Thanks that makes sense. I just wasn't sure what I was supposed to write on it.

Also is one 500 ml bottle acceptable ?

(ed: added question)

Just bottled the last of my entries today, sorry if I have missed it but is it just one 750ml per entry or two? It doesn't say anything as far as I can see but for some reason I've got this idea in my head that 2x750 is required? Also in the post it says 2nd February as the closing date but on the Melbourne Brewers website it says 9th February, am I right in assuming the 9th is the correct date?
Cheers

koots said:
Just bottled the last of my entries today, sorry if I have missed it but is it just one 750ml per entry or two? It doesn't say anything as far as I can see but for some reason I've got this idea in my head that 2x750 is required? Also in the post it says 2nd February as the closing date but on the Melbourne Brewers website it says 9th February, am I right in assuming the 9th is the correct date?
Cheers
Bump. A post above says 1 x 500ml is ok, but this one suggests it might be 2 x 750ml. I can't see any info in the comp explanation specifying how much should be supplied either.

carniebrew said:
Bump. A post above says 1 x 500ml is ok, but this one suggests it might be 2 x 750ml. I can't see any info in the comp explanation specifying how much should be supplied either.
Typically a single 750ml bottle is required for entry, 500ml at a stretch. If you don't have 750ml bottles but bottle in stubbies, you need to submit two of those - clearly labelled so that the comp organisers know it is the same beer.

Hope that helps.

Brendo

Perfect, thanks. Just looking at the results from last year's comp via compmaster. This will be my first comp and I'm looking forward to feedback on my brew more than anything. Do you get any specific feedback, or just a score as shown in the results table?

carniebrew said:
Perfect, thanks. Just looking at the results from last year's comp via compmaster. This will be my first comp and I'm looking forward to feedback on my brew more than anything. Do you get any specific feedback, or just a score as shown in the results table?
You get the scores as well as scannned copies of the judges sheets which should include a score break down across the 5 judging areas (aroma, appearance, flavour, body and overall) along with supporting comments and feedback.

Best of luck!!

koots said:
Cheers
That might be referring to beerfest 2012.

I'd go by the compmaster website which states 2nd Feb.

I'll post again if I hear anything to the contrary.

So far we have some great prizes from some very generous sponsors including Grand Ridge, Mornington Peninsula Brewery, Keg King, Grain and Grape, Temple Brewing Company, Bintani, Purvis Cellars, Buckley's Brewing, Core Brewing Concepts, Dr Draught and Brewer's Den. Sorting out the prizes is going to be a challenge.

Anyone else getting the problem of the QR code label having the text all jumbled up? Mine seem to have the beer style and the Bottle Cap ID printed on the same line at the bottom of the label. QR code looks ok so i'll submit this arvo regardless.

Should have few beers to enter, I did have a pale ale to enter but it developed a steady leak into my glass that I was unable to stop.

I plan on entering my first comp(s) this year - a quick question, is it in the spirit of the competition that what I enter has been brewed with the competition in mind, or is something I've been aging for a while perfectly acceptable?

Put in whichever beer you think is best in whichever category you think it fits best.
Or put in more than one.

Latest posts

Back