Meet Ups?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesa99

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the area, do the B.A.R guys meet up much? What's the goings on?

Try putting your location in the side-bar and you may get some response. Anyway welcome after 14 months :icon_cheers:

Gday mesa99,

if you get involved now you are getting in on the ground floor. At the moment several of the members have met at different times, but the first "formal"/mixed meet up was only a few weeks ago.

Send a PM to vic13 with your email address if you would like to be included on his email list and watch this space for further anouncements etc.

Are you AG? K+K? Extract?

I'm not a spokesperson or anything, I just happen to be on the computer alot and have AHB open for procrastinatory purposes...

@BribieG Yeah, signed up months ago, and only just decided to get involved.

@Lecterfan Thanks, I might do just that.

Quickly grew out of K+K. I've been doing Partial Mash's of about 2kg Grain / 1.5kg Extract. Haven't quite got the right equipment to go full AG but am very keen to.

Just call me Mesa

Haven't quite got the right equipment to go full AG but am very keen to.

My equipment is a joke.

And my brewing set up isn't too flash either boom boom.

My advice to have ago at AG: read the literature, have a look at NickJD's 20L stovetop thread, have a look at BIAB and then just apply the theories. You don't have to follow everyone elses methodology as long as you understand what you are doing and why you are doing it.

Some people make really nice K+K and extract beers - I wasn't one of them, but I am really satisfied with my AG brews.

When I actually finish study and get back to working for a living I will be upgrading my entire brewery set up, but I'm not going to let that stop me from making some bloody nice beers in the meantime.

Keep in touch, I reckon we will probably have another meeting/get together in the next few months...

My equipment is a joke.

And my brewing set up isn't too flash either boom boom.

My advice to have ago at AG: read the literature, have a look at NickJD's 20L stovetop thread, have a look at BIAB and then just apply the theories. You don't have to follow everyone elses methodology as long as you understand what you are doing and why you are doing it.

Some people make really nice K+K and extract beers - I wasn't one of them, but I am really satisfied with my AG brews.

When I actually finish study and get back to working for a living I will be upgrading my entire brewery set up, but I'm not going to let that stop me from making some bloody nice beers in the meantime.

Keep in touch, I reckon we will probably have another meeting/get together in the next few months...

The 20L stovetop thread rocks. That and the "guide to all grain brewing for 20 bucks" thread. You can get into it with minimal cost and it is fairly easy. I now own 2 big w pots to allow me to do larger batches, and when the minister of war and finance approves, there will be an urn or a big pot again.

Goomba

The 20L stovetop thread rocks. That and the "guide to all grain brewing for 20 bucks" thread. You can get into it with minimal cost and it is fairly easy. I now own 2 big w pots to allow me to do larger batches, and when the minister of war and finance approves, there will be an urn or a big pot again.

Goomba

Yea - I don't actually do that method, but it is a great way to show how the basic processes (extract the goodness, boil the goodness, ferment the goodness) can be applied. I'll always maintain that in many things a sound knowledge of the theory will let you get away with fairly unconventional method - and it seems to me that - at a basic introductory level -AG is a good example. In my case it is the old "necessity is the mother of invention" thing that drives my set up design. Let's face it, awesome tasting, fun-to-make, proud-to-drink, low cost beer is a necessity. :icon_cheers:

Yea - I don't actually do that method, but it is a great way to show how the basic processes (extract the goodness, boil the goodness, ferment the goodness) can be applied. I'll always maintain that in many things a sound knowledge of the theory will let you get away with fairly unconventional method - and it seems to me that - at a basic introductory level -AG is a good example. In my case it is the old "necessity is the mother of invention" thing that drives my set up design. Let's face it, awesome tasting, fun-to-make, proud-to-drink, low cost beer is a necessity. :icon_cheers:

Couldn't agree more.

And I found that all the theory I'd been cramming into my head started to make a lot more sense when put into practice, even on this, what some would consider agricultural, method.

Goomba

Hi Mesa,

Welcome aboard, I got your PM and have sent email, we are hoping to meet next month will let all know when and where.

Cheers

....the more notice the better!!! I know wakkatoo is o/s for most of next month, I can't do the 17th or 30th of April, but as you know I'm keen to meet up again. I've learnt heaps from the meagre amount of swapping last time - new yeast profiles, the effect of polenta, new hops, new styles, the massive difference in malt profiles.

I know Herbo was thinking that Sundays might be better with Footy season coming on...

Personally I reckon in the absence of a big weekend availability we could/should aim for a very quick Tuesday or Wednesday night sometime, swap a few, taste a few, maybe set some future dates for brewdays or bigger get-togethers, get home at a sensible hour etc.

Anyway, just my 2c worth.

Hi guys!
1st off, great to see some people in Ballarat in homebrewing! I'm new on to the forum and I'm looking for some connections up here so I was wondering how often you meet up?
2nd, did any of you come into Dan Murphy's Ballarat on the 3rd of April and leave a note because they had heard theres a brewer who works there? Been trying to track the person down but they didn't leave a name or number...
Looking forward to some good chats with fellow beer enthusiasts!
MacBrew

2nd, did any of you come into Dan Murphy's Ballarat on the 3rd of April and leave a note because they had heard theres a brewer who works there? Been trying to track the person down but they didn't leave a name or number...
Looking forward to some good chats with fellow beer enthusiasts!
MacBrew

Gday there,
I asked about whether there was a brewer working in there ages ago prior to our first meet up - I can't remember where I heard it from. And, I hate to admit it on a public forum (but I doubt I'm the only one here), I had an absoulte skinful on Sunday the 3rd and was in there twice and can't remember much - my mate was driving - so in all possibility I probably was feeling a little socially uninhibited and felt like passing on the message... my personal stocks were low and I made the most of the 3 coopers longnecks for $14.50...made the most of it a couple of times, and also 6 stone and wood pacific ales. Big day.

There hasn't been any further mentions of a next time or date yet (that I'm aware of), but send a PM to vic13 and let him know you are about and are interested as he seems to have taken on the mantle of organising/co-ordinating things.

Be good to catch up with everyone for another swap/taste etc when Wakkatoo is back from o/s, between him and Billygoat we can all sit around green with envy listening to tales of draught beers haha. I guess we should start floating some dates around to aim for maximum attendance again?

haha sounds like a good night! I've not had much love from the Stone and Wood guys, had their pale ale and it was all kinds of contaminated :p Well there is a brewer at Dan Murphy's and that would be me! I'm out at Uni of Ballarat doing the brewing course and also keep some homebrew ticking over...
I'll try and get in contact with the names you've chucked out there and see what happens - I'm pretty keen for a regular group to meet and swap some beers/recipes!
Anyways, I'm going to go back and keep enjoying my whiskey infused stout :D catch you all soon!

I am going to host a day for you blokes, Vic 45 and myself would like to run a brew day, drink some make some, BBQ etc. Sunday May 1st.

This day is locked in as we can't please all the people all the time.

Need ideas of what to brew !!

Will send address and invite to all on the email list, so if I dont have your email address please PM me.

Cheers

LOVE YA WORK!

My new band has our first gig the night before so this will be the perfect wind down afternoon. How much should I start saving to get a taxi from sebas to your joint vic13 (or more importantly a taxi back from your joint to sebas?)?

I'm keen to try my hop harvest ales - perfect chance!

Sounds great guys! I won't be in the country then (but as you said, some people have to miss out!!). I'm due back on the 3rd after departing next week. Got a few days in Brussels coming up (less than 2 weeks now!!) plus a week staying in a pub in Northern Ireland so hoping to have a few beery stories to tell when I get back B)

Enjoy the brew day - Vic13, I've just knocked out back to back stouts for the upcoming cold weather. My recipe was a tweaked version of Jamil's sweet stout in the book, "brewing classic styles". So there is my suggestion for you ;)

Awfully generous of vic13 to host, sounds like a ripper. Even better I don't have very far to travel at all.

Hopefully my crack at Palmer's AG Porter tomorrow, turns out. Will be a bit young on the 1st but hopefully drinkable :icon_cheers:.

mesa

I am going to host a day for you blokes, Vic 45 and myself would like to run a brew day, drink some make some, BBQ etc. Sunday May 1st.

This day is locked in as we can't please all the people all the time.

Need ideas of what to brew !!

Will send address and invite to all on the email list, so if I dont have your email address please PM me.

Cheers

won't be able to make May the 1st. Will still be on Easter holidays, hopefully catching lots of fish! Sure it will be a great day. Would have been nice to bring the BIAB gear along, oh well next time.

Solidarity to all the southern Goldfields brewers! Not sure if I could make an event on 1 May but it'd be great to see what brewers are doing around Ballarat. Cheers.

Could make it at this stage, would be great to catch up with Ballarat brewing clan.

Kleiny

Latest posts

Back